Solar and Inverter questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
Rossue, We are picking up our 21 on Oct 31. Still wondering if I need 2 6v Batteries since I've decided not to get the invertor with my solar.
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
gbaglo, So I see you said yes get the extra battery. So with the extra battery, I assume I am storing more energy. This sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the advise on the 12v outlets also and pics of the extensions too.
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengranny View Post
Just finishing off our Build Sheet and have chosen the roof solar panel and charge controls, also the external port. Decided not to include an inverter. Do I still need the extra 6v battery?
Not getting the inverter means I may need more 12v/usb plugs around. Any suggestions on where a good spot for a couple extra might be good to place?
To my mind, the need to go to two 6V batteries depends on how seriously you boondock, and whether you carry a generator. The extra capacity comes in handy after a couple of cloudy days, letting you avoid the necessity of getting a battery recharge.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 17A
Thanks again everyone for the great replies!!! Also to Zengranny for asking about where to put the 12v outlets- I wanted to know that as well
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengranny View Post
Do I still need the extra 6v battery?
Not getting the inverter means I may need more 12v/usb plugs around. Any suggestions on where a good spot for a couple extra might be good to place?
Yes yes yes, get the dual 6volt batteries.
Did I mention that you should get the 6volt batteries?

I like a 12volt outlet near the sink, because in our 17B, the way we sleep, the sink is the closest thing to me and I like to have my iphone sitting there charging overnight. We also bought one of those little USB powered 4-5 inch fans that is very quiet and can cool us all night as we sleep.

A 12 volt socket outside by the door is good for the exact same reasons, iphone or bluetooth speaker and fan.

With the solar and a 12volt battery I can camp till I run out of propane or food, usually food after about 5 days. With the dual 6's I can do the same when parked in the shade. About 5 days before I have to move to the sun or plug in an external solar panel.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
See my post at
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post154733
Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
For the inverter. We did not order it with the trailer. I used a 200 w plug in. Over the first month we used it to power a coffee grinder. Just a bosch blade type at 130 watts. BUT over that month we blew a fuse and destroyed the inverter. Apparently the startup load of the grinder is 2 to 3imes the running load.

So now we have installed a 1000 watt inverter separately from the power system. I intend to post install methods and pics soon.

We do not have microwave or ac so no big loads.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
We have discovered that we enjoy dry camping more than we expected and in some cases maybe off the grid longer than anticipated. Although we have the dual 6V batteries, on our last trip we didn't hook up for 7 days and were getting a bit concerned about the charge on the batteries and not going below a 50% charged level. We have an upcoming trip and if possible would like to have the opportunity of being off the grid for a week or more. We are thinking of getting ETI to retrofit the roof solar panel rather than buy a portable, although the available time to get the retro fit may not be sufficient. We also have "twofoot-itis" and will probably upgrade to a larger trailer when we would get the factory installed solar option.

Anyone got any thoughts about portable vs retrofit option?

Thanks much.

PS as part of our original build sheet, we installed extra 12V/USB plug-ins - this proved to be a wise decision.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post

Anyone got any thoughts about portable vs retrofit option?

Thanks much.

PS as part of our original build sheet, we installed extra 12V/USB plug-ins - this proved to be a wise decision.
Some of this was in a previous post, but...

I had both rooftop panels & a portable with my 17B. The pair of rooftop panels (the stock option 95 watt & an added 100 watt) provided plenty of power during the summer & when parked out of the shade to use 30 - 40 amp hours per day.

During the winter with the shorter days & low angle sun, even parked out of the shade in the Arizona desert (Quartzsite) I found that the rooftop panels could not keep up with my usage (again, more than most people need or use). I added a 160 watt portable panel that feeds the input of the trailer controller (bypassing the portable panel's built in controller). I often got more amps out of the portable panel than the combined rooftop panels. If you add a panel yourself, consider installing a tiltable mount if you plan to winter camp.

I usually moved the panel once or twice during the day, although I'm sure if I chased the sun with lots of moves I'd collect more amp hours. With the 3 panels, I was able to dry camp all winter (91 days & 87 days). I did have to head to the dump station & water fill every couple of weeks, but never needed a generator.