Some questions about outfitting my 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 19'
Some questions about outfitting my 19'

Hi, in working on my build sheet for a 19'. I've been reading the forum, thinking about what I would like, and I've got a few questions which hopefully you may be able to help out with. Actually, the more I read the more questions I have! I figure I'll be happy no matter what I end up getting, but I'm enjoying planning for some options I might like.

I like the idea of the screen room, but I don't like the idea of mounting holes being drilled into the trailer body. I guess that's the draw of the Escape - unibody construction, no exterior mounting holes for cupboards etc., butyl seals... Anyone have thoughts on this?

Similar thoughts about the bathroom window - seems nice, but seems a little more dicey to be mounting it into the bathroom shell. Just me?

Is the front storage box still pretty usable with the dual 6v batteries in there? I imagine the batteries would eat up a lot of space.

Like the idea of the opening kitchen window, but I wonder if this large non-thermal window negates some of the benefit of the extra insulation and thermal window package?

Read some posts about alternate shower heads. Is this done by Escape, or after purchase?

Seems like no one relies on sinks for drinking water. The water filter remedy this?

Well, thanks for reading, and any feedback you might have. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wouldn't sweat the button snaps for the screen room. There's lots of other stuff attached to the shell - the awning and legs, the door latch, porch light, tail lights, fridge venting. Done right, not a problem.
If heavy items, like cupboards, were attached with rivets or screws through the shell, then I'd be concerned.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My comments are shown below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Hi, in working on my build sheet for a 19'. I've been reading the forum, thinking about what I would like, and I've got a few questions which hopefully you may be able to help out with. Actually, the more I read the more questions I have! I figure I'll be happy no matter what I end up getting, but I'm enjoying planning for some options I might like.

I like the idea of the screen room, but I don't like the idea of mounting holes being drilled into the trailer body. I guess that's the draw of the Escape - unibody construction, no exterior mounting holes for cupboards etc., butyl seals... Anyone have thoughts on this? I would choose a screen room tent rather than the screen room option. Little more flexible in terms of options for using it.

Similar thoughts about the bathroom window - seems nice, but seems a little more dicey to be mounting it into the bathroom shell. Just me? We picked an opening bathroom window. Is nice for the light and access for a hose to flush out black tank.

Is the front storage box still pretty usable with the dual 6v batteries in there? I imagine the batteries would eat up a lot of space. To give us more storage space in front box, we put the dual 6V batteries under the front dinette seat. Works well for us.

Like the idea of the opening kitchen window, but I wonder if this large non-thermal window negates some of the benefit of the extra insulation and thermal window package? We purchased the opening kitchen window. It provides extra light and is a great source of fresh air. Have had no issues with poor thermal performance but am thinking that I could use a piece of rigid insulation in front of it if needed. We did get the extra insulation, thermal windows, and spray foam.

Read some posts about alternate shower heads. Is this done by Escape, or after purchase?

Well, thanks for reading, and any feedback you might have. j

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #4

thanks gbaglo!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
My comments are shown below.
Thanks Dave W. Do you have a u shaped dinette in front, with the batteries under the frontmost seat? I asked about putting the batteries under the front dinette and was told no, they go on tongue/in storage box for weight distribution. (I do not have a u shaped front dinette, so they would go on 1 side of the trailer.) Thanks. j
Old 10-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
In our 5.0 the opening window over the sink is the awning type (not a slider) and is the only window we leave open at night without fear of rain. Combined with the MaxxFan on low it provides good ventilation.

We also have the bathroom window (also awning style), leave it cracked open, but could live without it.

We do not have the screen-room. Figured it was too expensive and too much trouble to put up and take down. We have a stand alone screen/rain shelter but haven't used it yet with the trailer.

We use the tank water for washing and sometimes for cooking, but use bottled water (gallon bottles) for coffee and drinking.

We have two 12 volt outlets but wish we had more. Almost all of our travels have been drycamping so far. The solar option is awesome and is one I consider necessary.

Knowing what I know now I would have opted for an inverter (~1500 watts). It wasn;t listed as an option but evidently was available upon request.

Enjoy.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Thanks Dave W. Do you have a u shaped dinette in front, with the batteries under the frontmost seat? I asked about putting the batteries under the front dinette and was told no, they go on tongue/in storage box for weight distribution. (I do not have a u shaped front dinette, so they would go on 1 side of the trailer.) Thanks. j
Just have the std front instate.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #8

Super cool, thanks for the reply. Perhaps I can end up getting the batteries there. I think I would like to free up the front box, and I can live with only having the passenger side dinette bench totally free for storage. I sent you a pm with a different question. Thanks! by the way, I like your table colour. j
Old 10-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The dual 6 batteries would take up your entire curb side dinette space as there is not enough room on the street side with the toilet tank and your converter located there. I'd suggest getting one large battery and putting it in the box. With solar, you will have it charged to 100% everyday.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The dual 6 batteries would take up your entire curb side dinette space as there is not enough room on the street side with the toilet tank and your converter located there. ...
That is not our experience. My 19 is not accessible or I would take a picture. There is actually quite a lot of space for storage of things tucked in around the battery box. Also, there is a fairly large storage space accessible through the cabinet door on the front of the dinette.

Even with batteries inside the dinette, we found that the 19' has plenty of interior storage space for four of us on trips of three weeks or longer. The space in the front storage box is a bonus.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The dual 6 batteries would take up your entire curb side dinette space as there is not enough room on the street side with the toilet tank and your converter located there. I'd suggest getting one large battery and putting it in the box. With solar, you will have it charged to 100% everyday.
Thanks all for the feedback. The more I think out loud, the more I learn! Right now 1 battery would satisfy my needs. Hopefully in a few years I'll be spending most of the year on the road. If I can set things up now the way I want, plus have extra capacity for unknowns in the future, I'd do it. Kinda like wearing clean underwear - you never know!

j
Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can always add another 12v later on, but ideally it is best to add one when you replace the original with 2 of the same type brand of battery.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Bottom line is you are losing storage somewhere with batteries. It's just a matter of preference what you give up. We like our batteries out of the camper and in the storage box. There is still plenty of room for all those other things. Also I would not want acid batteries inside the camper but that's just me.

Bath and kitchen window is a must for us. Love the light and you can open both without worrying about rain getting in.

Escape will install a different shower head if you supply it. We decided not to after reading some of the reviews that complained about the water temperature being cooler on some of the water saving ones because they inject air to make it feel like you have more pressure.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #14

Great, thanks for the replies! I've never had a trailer, so I am greatly interested in anything and everything people have to say based on their own experiences. j
Old 10-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I find that the batteries in the front storage box seem to make the rest of the box awkward to use, I asked Reace about moving the batteries inside and he didn't recommend it for weight distribution reasons. I have to admit I am still considering doing this with out his blessing and just being diligent about packing to keep the tongue weight in check. We keep next to no weight under the bed storage area so I suspect moving the batteries back a couple of feet shouldn't have a significant effect. It also can't help keeping them a bit warmer in the cool weather. I can't seem to find good quality sealed 6V battery boxes so they can be vented to the outside though.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Our 17B has the dual 6V on the rear bumper, must be a weight distribution consideration involved in that too.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
A few years ago there was no storage box on the Escapes and my understanding is that all the batteries were placed under the dinette. I thought that they are sealed and vented to the outside -- we are planning to put them under the dinette and no one has indicated there would be a weight problem -- although I didn't discuss it with Reace.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape
Our 2013 Escape 19 has the two 6V batteries mounted in the front storage box. This keeps the weight of the batteries centered in the trailer and offsets the weight of water of the fresh water tank in the rear of the trailer (aft of the axles). In addition to the batteries, there is plenty of space in the front storage box for items that are used outside of the trailer.
We use the passenger side dinette storage box for easy access to items that are used inside of the trailer such as a crock pot, toaster, coffee pot and ceramic heater. We also store shoes as we come into the trailer using the optional end cabinet door. Installing the two 6V batteries under the bench moves 133.4 lbs to the side of the trailer and the weight is off center.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Some people boondock a lot which is what a trailer such as Escape lends itself to, and they tend to leave home with a full fresh water tank. That can do in the tongue weight number. That is one of the main reasons for having the front box and trying to get weight in there.

On the other hand depending on the season perhaps, boondockers also tend to have two full propane tanks up front, at least on the 19'. But when they have used a lot of the propane, that no longer balances out so they have to have other fixes, unless of course, they have emptied out most of the water. Yes, Ruth, the batteries are often inside. We all have a balancing act to do one way or another.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I find that the batteries in the front storage box seem to make the rest of the box awkward to use, I asked Reace about moving the batteries inside and he didn't recommend it for weight distribution reasons. I have to admit I am still considering doing this with out his blessing and just being diligent about packing to keep the tongue weight in check. We keep next to no weight under the bed storage area so I suspect moving the batteries back a couple of feet shouldn't have a significant effect. It also can't help keeping them a bit warmer in the cool weather. I can't seem to find good quality sealed 6V battery boxes so they can be vented to the outside though.
Check marine outfitters they carry several types of ventable battery boxes and the water proof through the hull fitting to vent them outside. Though it does mean drilling a hole in the exterior wall.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote