Soon-to-be 5.0 owner. Is this list of "wants" unreasonable? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Future 5.0 owner
Soon-to-be 5.0 owner. Is this list of "wants" unreasonable?

So, I've been following the forums, and YouTube videos for a few months now, and I've been compiling quite the laundry list of things I'd like. Is there anything in specific that I'd have issues with, or that you'd warn against?

Could I get a convection microwave combo?

What's the biggest I can go on the solar and batteries? It would sure be nice to be able to kick the AC on in short spurts. I'm trying to go as off grid as possible.

Could I do a composting toilet? My dream setup would be a nature's head with a urine diverter to the grey tank, with the black and grey tanks combined for extra capacity.

Could I supply my own mattress?

Do you offer motion activated LEDs on each exterior side, and/or security camera systems?

Could I do a flat induction cooktop to eliminate propane completely?

I plan on doing the lift, do you offer a higher end all road tire?

Could I have a Goosebox hitch installed instead of the fifth wheel hitch?

Could I have a shower miser installed in the shower to save water?

Could I have a Nebia 2.0 showerhead system installed instead of the sink to save room and water?

Do you offer a hook up point near the door for a dog tie out?

Are you able to make a wooden slat floor insert for the bath area? Maybe teak or other rot resistant wood.

Could I get electrical outlets with full speed USB near the end of the bed?

Is there an option to upgrade the TV to as big as possible in an OLED option from Samsung or LG? Maybe with a small sound bar option underneath it.

Can I get a U dinette for a more cozy lounge area ability?

Can a locking door be placed over the water connections?

Do you offer a water filtration system?
TexanAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You'll need to contact Escape Trailer Industries directly about your questions. Some of the items on your list are items that have been done by the trailer owners. But with the change of ownership of ETI, I would hesitate to answer for them when it comes to modifications outside of standard options.

Good luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:38 PM   #3

Hey Donna! Yes, I sent the list off to David again today, let's see what he says, haha. It's crazy to see how far folks here take their trailers, modification-wise. It would be nice to know how far I can go from the factory
Old 10-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAviator View Post
So, I've been following the forums, and YouTube videos for a few months now, and I've been compiling quite the laundry list of things I'd like. Is there anything in specific that I'd have issues with, or that you'd warn against?

Could I get a convection microwave combo?
ETI has installed these in the past. See thread
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...fits-9479.html

What's the biggest I can go on the solar and batteries? It would sure be nice to be able to kick the AC on in short spurts. I'm trying to go as off grid as possible.
I believe the most is two 170W panels and dual 6V batteries but you can always ask. I know some have brought AGM’s to orientation for installation. Even with an appropriate inverter you are a long way from operating a standard rooftop A/C with that set up for any practical length of time.

Could I do a composting toilet? My dream setup would be a nature's head with a urine diverter to the grey tank, with the black and grey tanks combined for extra capacity.
A 5.0 owner installed one http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ion-12866.html

Could I supply my own mattress?
ETI used to give you a credit if you opted for no mattress. Check with them.

Do you offer motion activated LEDs on each exterior side, and/or security camera systems?
Not sure if ETI will install them but we like the Starlights motion activated light https://www.amazon.com/Starlights-SL.../dp/B004O7DBM4

Could I do a flat induction cooktop to eliminate propane completely?
I have seen combination induction/gas burner cooktops installed so I can’t see why they wouldn’t do just an induction only like the True Induction T1-1B or MD-2B. Bear in mind though that if you are off grid this will likely require a generator to be practical. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...tml#post277858

I assume you meant “off” road tire. I’ve never heard of ETI offering tire options but I have heard of owners bringing their own tires/wheels to orientation for installation. Any 15x6 zero offset trailer wheel with 5 on 4.5” bolt pattern and 205/75R15 ST tires would work fine. Some have run LT tires (which Oliver Trailers does also I believe).

Are you able to make a wooden slat floor insert for the bath area? Maybe teak or other rot resistant wood.
Unlikely ETI will get into something this fussy. If you search the forum several members have made their own.

Could I get electrical outlets with full speed USB near the end of the bed?
Typically combo 12V/USB outlets can be added wherever practical. The ones ETI has been using are Magnadyne rated at 2A per USB.

Is there an option to upgrade the TV to as big as possible in an OLED option from Samsung or LG? Maybe with a small sound bar option underneath it.
ETI has never supplied the TV. Only a mounting bracket that has a limitation on the size/weight of the TV.

Can I get a U dinette for a more cozy lounge area ability?
Many have done it in the 5.0.

Can a locking door be placed over the water connections?
I recall that one owner asked and was told no, but with the new ownership things may be different. The older trailers had this standard and we like it.

Do you offer a water filtration system?
I’ve never seen one offered as an option. Some owners have added them.
I’m not sure how helpful this is but see above in red. The big caveat is what Donna said...with new ownership only they can say what will be done or not compared to the past.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I’m not sure how helpful this is but see above in red. The big caveat is what Donna said...with new ownership only they can say what will be done or not compared to the past.
SO much great info!!! I also had no idea ownership changed. Did the prices also change now that they are doing the USD thing?

Thanks!!
Old 10-29-2019, 10:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The locking door to water connections on older trailers is a joke as far as security goes.
Attached Thumbnails
fresh water 2.jpg  
Old 10-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The locking door to water connections on older trailers is a joke as far as security goes.
Oh no, that sucks. Are they better now? Or about the same? I figure anything is better than nothing, and I'm sure my Great Dane will hear something like that being messed with
Old 10-30-2019, 12:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Is there anything in specific that I'd have issues with, or that you'd warn against?
Could I have a Goosebox hitch installed instead of the fifth wheel hitch?
You certainly could physically install a Reese Goose Box, in place of the lower section of the stock Lippert pin box, and if Escape won't do it you could do it yourself.

Now, should you? There have been a few discussions of this possibility, all running into the fact that it is an extension of the pin box, and the warning in the Escape Owner's Manual against using an adapter which extends the pin box. Rather than taking this thread off on a tangent, I suggest just referring to the existing discussions, the most recent of which is 5.0 TA: Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck or Ranch Hitch Adapter? (and it links back the previous one, plus there are older threads).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I assume you meant “off” road tire. I’ve never heard of ETI offering tire options but I have heard of owners bringing their own tires/wheels to orientation for installation. Any 15x6 zero offset trailer wheel with 5 on 4.5” bolt pattern and 205/75R15 ST tires would work fine. Some have run LT tires (which Oliver Trailers does also I believe).
I assume that "all road" is not a typo, and is intended to indicate a dual-purpose on/off road tire.

Only Escape Trailer Industries can tell you what they will supply, but I think it's reasonable to assume that the bring-your-own approach that Dave has described is the only way to anything other than the stock ST205/75R15 tires.

You can even go somewhat larger (in width and in overall diameter) than the stock 205/75R15, before you have a fit problem. LT (Light Truck) or commercial tires in Load Range C or higher, or even P-type or Euro-metric tires in Extra Load, are suitable.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Do you offer a hook up point near the door for a dog tie out?
I've never had a small dog, and so wouldn't tie one of ours to the trailer, which is relatively easy to move. If I were tying to the trailer, I would install an anchor on the frame (near the axles), not using the body.

Of course that doesn't answer the question, which can only be answered by Escape... but I've ever heard of a tie-out anchor point being offered as an option or installed as a customization.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:08 AM   #11

Go to Cabellas or any fishing store and buy a mushroom anchor for a pontoon boat or canoe. You can place it wherever you like and clip the dog's lead to it.
My buddy tied a 30' lead to his awning arm. Brittany spotted a bird or squirrel and the awning arm hasn't been the same since.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 11.06.58 PM.jpg  
Old 10-30-2019, 01:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Go to Cabellas or any fishing store and buy a mushroom anchor for a pontoon boat or canoe. You can place it wherever you like and clip the dog's lead to it.
That would slow my dog down if he decided to run, and would cause interesting furrows in the ground and dents in things.

I think the solution depends on the dog.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That would slow my dog down if he decided to run, and would cause interesting furrows in the ground and dents in things.

I think the solution depends on the dog.

Big dog, big anchor.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:57 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
They weren't very sturdy, but it kept kids away from it and if someone did intentionally tamper with it you would know. I wish they still offered it.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Big dog, big anchor.
Great Dane.....Much bigger🤣😂🤣
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
SO much great info!!! I also had no idea ownership changed. Did the prices also change now that they are doing the USD thing?

Thanks!!
They recently decided to state prices in $USD. They did that based on whatever exchange rate they calculated at the time and intend to keep the $USD price fixed going forward. Many US buyers were somewhat stressed out by worrying about fluctuating exchange rates during the months-long purchase/build process so this was an effort to respond to that. They also accept payment in Canadian $ and any US buyers who wish to play the exchange rate game can elect to pay in Canadian $ and time their conversion.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Your desire to be off the grid would really make it tough to eliminate propane. If you’re planning on cooking, heating and keeping your ice cream frozen and watching that big screen you’re gonna need a lot of solar. And you can forget about the AC. I’ve seen some all electric B class campers and they all have huge and expensive lithium batteries.
🤔 What’s your concern on the propane?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Buy a heavy duty eye loop like this and replace a front bolt. This one is stainless steel, 3/8ths. My dog is a load, weighs 71 pounds but this keeps her in check.
Attached Thumbnails
dogline1.jpg  
Old 10-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Would Escape Trailer instal a Dexter 10" x 2.25" Nev-R-Adjust Electric Trailer Brake - 3,500 lbs. replacing the the standard electric brakes?

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I assume that "all road" is not a typo, and is intended to indicate a dual-purpose on/off road tire.
True. Since he was talking about boondocking and getting the lift my brain went to off road.