Spray foam option - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

Trailer: soon to be '18 Escape 21, '18 F150 XLT 2.7 tow
Spray foam option

I had an opportunity to look at the spray foam application on Escape trailers at the Niagara Rally this fall. Although underside surfaces were well covered, appearance wise, it looked like the dickens. I understand that it covers some mechanicals and electrical systems and would need to be removed for service (a messy job for sure).

Has anyone considered the possibility of applying sheet foam or other forms of insulation that would be easier to remove for service? I know it probably wouldn't be as effective as the full coverage spray foam, but I'm not looking to do winter camping in the trailer.

Thanks,
Marv
Stkshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I believe Ron in BC did that type of install.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkshftr View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility of applying sheet foam or other forms of insulation that would be easier to remove for service? I know it probably wouldn't be as effective as the full coverage spray foam, but I'm not looking to do winter camping in the trailer.

Thanks,
Marv
Ron in BC did it:
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/adding-underfloor-insulation-7046.html

I also did it on a Scamp:
www.scampowners.com/forums/spray-foam-underbody-greater-insulation-cold
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: soon to be '18 Escape 21, '18 F150 XLT 2.7 tow
It never ceases to amaze me how resourceful people on this forum are! No doubt, most of my questions are probably already answered somewhere here. Just need to refine my search threads.

Thanks
Marv
Stkshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I had an opportunity to look at the spray foam application on Escape trailers at the Niagara Rally this fall. Although underside surfaces were well covered, appearance wise, it looked like the dickens. I understand that it covers some mechanicals and electrical systems and would need to be removed for service (a messy job for sure).

Thanks,
Marv
I am in agreement with your assessment, that it no doubt would work good, and that it looks not so good. It Escape could shave it to a nice level surface it would look better, but that would be tough and take a heck of a lot of work. It is easy on homes where they just use a broad flat knife to shave off excess using studs or joists as a guide.

There really is not much for heat loss that it saves on, it is more of a comfort thing. When cold out, we wear something warm on our feet most times inside, whether shoes, slippers or heavy socks.

I decided to forego it on the build and deal with it later myself if I deem in worthy. I have done a bit of work with the gas underneath, and not certain what else I may need to do, but no doubt would need to access the underside if I foamed it right away.

I too would likely just use a painted rigid foam. I am contemplating using WEDI Board, a rigid foam base tile backer than has a thin fiberglass layer on each side. Though not real strong glass, it would stop any superficial wearing from road rash.

As I had to abandon mods to my trailer due to real estate dealings this summer, I have not had a chance to finish many of the mods I wanted to do. I will be bringing my trailer home after camping this Thanksgiving weekend, and will be doing stuff on it over the next few months. Once done, I will possibly start on the underside insulation.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I am thinking about a combination of the Foamular ( or WEDI ) board and spray foam in some areas. For the dump system plumbing I am thinking of first wrapping them with plastic film or even the GLAD Press and Seal Wrap and then using the spray foam. That way it will be easier to get off if I need to remove it for repairs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CFRF7I/ref=dp_cerb_1

A friend also recommended using a Little Buddy heater under the trailer (or at the end of a tube) if the insulation is designed to allow heat to flow around the fresh and grey tanks as well as the dump valve system. The Foamular is too flammable so some other kind of insulation would be needed.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
... Just need to refine my search threads. Thanks
Marv
Marv, Are you using the "Search Site/Google" at the bottom of the Search screen? That usually gives me the best results. The top few results seem to be from a broader internet search, but after that, it really hones in on forum posts. So give that a try, if you haven't already....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Yea, I agree it does not look very nice, but it is UNDER the trailer. I'm more concerned with what one can see as opposed to getting down on the ground and crawling underneath it.
I know that it protected the underside of my trailer on a trip to and in Alaska especially on gravel sections of the road. When I got home I recoated it with that spray on "rubber in a can" stuff and all in all it looks pretty decent now.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Originally ETI just left the foam as it came from the installer, funky looking orange on my first Escape. By my second Escape, they had it painted black, fortunately.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I guess it's all in one's expectations, but the underside of most vehicles on the road isn't very pretty. They aren't designed to be because most people never see it. That's why the old trucker's C.B. radio road blessing was "Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down."
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote