Stock sink: does it stain easily? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe the question you should ask yourself... if you're getting the white stove top and white stove vent, would you be happy with the look if the sink and faucet wasn't the same color? Maybe the white sink will take more care (?) but... I'm visual... I wouldn't be happy mixing the look. YMMV
We most definitely will be having both the sink and stove the same. So the question is stock sink and stove or upgrade both to stainless. Leaving them stock saves $120 and gains us a little depth on the sink. Going stainless costs more and looses depth on the sink (or gains cupboard space depending on how you look at it).

As I don't mind either look, I'm not spending more for stainless unless there's some functional improvement. The only functional improvement I could think of would be if the sink (or stove for that matter) were prone to staining. Then I'd pay extra for the stainless. It sounds like the stock sink/stove are not very prone to staining and that Vim does a good job cleaning them so I think I'll put that money towards some other option.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences. It's very valuable to us newbies, and very much appreciated!
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Just so you know, it's not really that bad having them mismatched. I'm a stainless girl, and have all stainless in my home kitchen, and I would think it would bother me but our used Escape came with stainless sink and white stovetop and hood and I honestly don't even think about it, and it doesn't bother me at all! I think in 2005 the stainless sink was an option but maybe the stovetop wasn't yet, I'm not sure. I find myself being so damn happy with the trailer that the little things aren't even on my radar!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
Just so you know, it's not really that bad having them mismatched. I'm a stainless girl, and have all stainless in my home kitchen, and I would think it would bother me but our used Escape came with stainless sink and white stovetop and hood and I honestly don't even think about it, and it doesn't bother me at all! I think in 2005 the stainless sink was an option but maybe the stovetop wasn't yet, I'm not sure. I find myself being so damn happy with the trailer that the little things aren't even on my radar!
Agreed on all points. We have the "unmatched" SS sink with white stove. The main deciding point for us was that you can't melt SS by accidentally putting something too hot into it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #44

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha View Post
We haven't had any staining with our standard white sink. We do wipe off our dishes with paper towels before washing them. Maybe that helps.
We haven't purchased a 19ft yet, but plan do so soon. We've traveled a lot over the past 6 years with a pop up trailer that has a white sink. We also wipe down first and there are no noticeable stains yet. We'll go with the white sink when we order.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We do not have stainless steel. Anything with a tomato base or the like, I pour down the strainer, not into the sink. We have plenty of trivets and do not put hot items in there. I am glad we have the off-white; we are Floating Cloud!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #46

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
You might want to get a stainless steel deep bar sink. If you wash larger pans a deeper sink is nice. I am the dishwasher in our trailer.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #47

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I hear you. I'V added one of these to my mod. list .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0530.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I hear you. I'V added one of these to my mod. list .
Very nice. Don't forget to get the wine and beer fridges too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #49

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
So, the white sink is PLASTIC?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Yes, I assume so.

The kitchen sink in my motorhome - which is set into a Corian solid-surface countertop - is white plastic. The only other white alternatives to moulded plastic that I can think of would be enameled steel (I wouldn't want that) and fiberglass (which is just moulded plastic reinforced with glass fibres). There are Corian sinks intended to be integrated with Corian countertops, but that's still moulded plastic. Fiberglass sinks are rare if they even exist, although some complete countertops with integral sinks are fiberglass - that would be nice option for Escape to offer.

I checked a typical RV parts catalog, and all the sinks I saw were stainless steel or moulded plastic.

Our motorhome sink is somewhat stained on one side after many months of full-time use. I would rather have stainless steel, but the plastic works.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Our motorhome sink is somewhat stained on one side after many months of full-time use. I would rather have stainless steel, but the plastic works.
Remember, it comes with a cover .
Old 10-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Had a plastic one in our last rv and chose the upgrade to stainless for our 15B. Very glad we did. Have had not trouble with the stainless so far but we do wipe it down after use. I was much less concerned with the staining in the acrylic sink than scratching with pots, pans, and silverware that occurred in our previous rv.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #53

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I was much less concerned with the staining in the acrylic sink than scratching with pots, pans, and silverware that occurred in our previous rv.
I should have mentioned that in our case staining seems to go with the scratching - the roughened surface doesn't stay as clean. It's still not a big deal for me, although I would still rather have stainless - stainless scratches too, but that seems like less of a problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #54

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
sink plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Ray the standard sinks are white plastic. When I ordered a 19ft in 2010 we asked for a deep stainless sink(bar sink) with a high faucet. Rease got the sink from Home Depot. Our trailer was the second one off the line with a stove and oven and the second front box.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote