Storage Insurance? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2017, 06:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Storage Insurance?

My 17B will hatch Feb 7. I received my paperwork (bill of sale, registration info, etc) and it was mentioned that if I didn't pick up at completion, I would have to get and pay for storage insurance. I know the cost will be different between insurance companies, but can anyone give me a ballpark figure as to what it will cost?

I'm also a bit confused as to when final payment is due - I have a previous email that says payment is due within a month of completion. The latest paperwork says "at the time of completion" in one spot, and then it also says "payment is now due"?? Guess an email to ETI is in order...
Brenda
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
And inquiry to your insurance company and Escape will clear it up without hordes of speculation from the masses here, Brenda. I know my brother is paying for storage insurance, I could ask him. I know after a couple months or so, he does have to pay them a storage fee.

edit: Just sent him a text.

2nd edit: His response was "Need to get on that"
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
My 17B will hatch Feb 7. I received my paperwork (bill of sale, registration info, etc) and it was mentioned that if I didn't pick up at completion, I would have to get and pay for storage insurance. I know the cost will be different between insurance companies, but can anyone give me a ballpark figure as to what it will cost?

I'm also a bit confused as to when final payment is due - I have a previous email that says payment is due within a month of completion. The latest paperwork says "at the time of completion" in one spot, and then it also says "payment is now due"?? Guess an email to ETI is in order...
Brenda
You have it there, "at the time of completion." That is what they have always said. You have a specific completion date, as does everyone. You can give them a call or e-mail and they will tell you.

The insurance companies are all different so you would have to call on your dates and specific model trailer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Speaking with Tammy at ETI on the phone last week, she told me that the final payment is due 30 days before your orientation and pickup, so that if that is a few weeks after your completion date, your payment would not be due until after the completion date, just 30 days before delivery. Sounds like some different answers, but that was three days ago and I don't think I misunderstood.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

There is no way that I would want to pay in full before seeing and inspecting the trailer. That is my opinion and I know others will not hand over a check, or the final one, until a trailer is seen and inspected. That said, we did pick up on our completion date. Of course, if you are not going to pick-up until after completion, that is another situation to deal with.

Most people, I gather, are paying most of the cost before pick-up but some have even shown up and paid the whole thing on the completion date (except deposit.) Don't know if anyone has done that lately.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My first two Escapes were paid in full and delivered, naturally sight unseen. I'd do it again.....never had any problems that could not be fixed. With the exchange rate fluctuating it makes sense to pay as much early before the rate changes, like buying on sale.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
There is no way that I would want to pay in full before seeing and inspecting the trailer. That is my opinion and I know others will not hand over a check, or the final one, until a trailer is seen and inspected.
The problem is you are dealing with a company in a foreign country and there's also foreign banking standards. Although a lot of us think of Reace and Tammy as family, they are protecting their business.

Remember, you get all the paperwork showing ownership of a trailer when you pick it up. If you go to you bank and ask, how long can it be on a written and cashed check for me to "stop payment." You might be surprised. You get the paperwork to the trailer, drive across the border, then stop payment. ETI gets screwed. There are valid reasons for their policy regarding paying for a trailer.

BTW, anyone try to stop payment on a check under the circumstances I've described... the entire active membership of this forum will be looking for you and you cannot hide!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
BTW, anyone try to stop payment on a check under the circumstances I've described... the entire active membership of this forum will be looking for you and you cannot hide!
They could run but could not

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #9

I believe that they already specify that you need to pay on pick-up with cashier's checks or similar, do they not? That is what we used. Can't expect them to usually take a personal check even though you may have used one.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You want maybe I dust off my baseball bat, Donna.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We have ways to find you.....it says right on the contract that personal cheques must be received 60 days prior to trailer completion, otherwise credit card, wire transfer, cashiers cheques for the remaining balance.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #12

Reace told me that people have been paying them earlier due to the great advantage with the dollar for Americans, which is the vast majority of their business due to population. And the dollar advantage has become even much better since we were up there. That may be a big part of why they cannot keep up with orders.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #13

Thanks for all the comments and discussion. I would love to pick up on my completion date of Feb 7 but I teach at a college, so that's out. I'd love to pick it up later in Feb when we have Reading Week, but a trip alone in Feb over the Coq and Rogers Pass pulling a new $36000 trailer makes me a little twitchy... (if the storage insurance is outrageously expensive, I may just bite the bullet!).

Regarding payment, I'm thinking of sending a cheque for $25 000 (Gulp!!) now to at least indicate that I'm not going to be backing out.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #14

The dollar value is so good that you will do well to go ahead and pay most of it. Then you are essentially protected against any sudden big drop for who knows what reason. And if it continues to become even better, you can get the benefit of that with the rest of the payments.

Another possible option for some is to go see the trailer, perhaps even before it is quite finished, and maybe pay the rest or most then and get it later when the weather improves.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #15

Unfortunately, there isn't much difference between the Alberta dollar and the B.C. Dollar, so that doesn't help me much!

However, it might be a decent idea to head out there in Feb just for a visit... Hmmmm..
Old 01-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Unfortunately, there isn't much difference between the Alberta dollar and the B.C. Dollar, so that doesn't help me much!

However, it might be a decent idea to head out there in Feb just for a visit... Hmmmm..
Oh, ho, ho, there I go again!! Lol.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
And inquiry to your insurance company and Escape will clear it up without hordes of speculation from the masses here, Brenda. I know my brother is paying for storage insurance, I could ask him. I know after a couple months or so, he does have to pay them a storage fee.

edit: Just sent him a text.

2nd edit: His response was "Need to get on that"
Jim speaks the truth here. No need to have everyone speculate on insurance coverage. Or you could read your policy and see if your trailer is covered while away from home.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #18

Just to update this thread - Tammy called me last week with a question about my build sheet, so I took the opportunity to ask about the storage insurance. As long as the new owner doesn't register the trailer, it's still considered to be owned by ETI and is covered under their insurance. Once you register it in your name, you own it and then need storage insurance until you pick it up from ETI. So, I just won't go in and register it until just before I go pick it up. Even makes sense, if you think about it..
Old 01-20-2017, 02:28 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I live in Juneau, Alaska with the Yukon and BC in between the lower states. When my trailer was nearing completion, I approached my insurance company ( its like the song - 16 tons .... my insurance company thinks its the company store ) and asked about insurance. I wanted to store my trailer in Whitehorse, Yukon ( a reachable distance from Juneau either driving or flying ) or somewhere in southern BC. My insurance agent told me that there isn't a US insurance company anywhere that will cover your trailer in storage in Canada. US owned and licensed. Traveling through ? No problem .... but storage was a different deal. FYI

Tom