The first of many questions! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Question The first of many questions!

Linda and I just put a down payment on a 17B. We have received our build sheet. Very scary seeing how we can go from 26k to 51k pretty fast. That said, we are looking forward to having the build sheet finalized by April 2017! So, some questions.
1. What is a two way hot water tank?
2. Foot flush toilet sounds obvious. Does this replace a hand flush lever and is it necessary?
3. Winterizing t-valve sounds like an absolute necessity?
Any comments or advice is appreciated. We are hoping to use this small trailer as our principle residence for a few years after we retire in 2017.
Ray B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
A 2 way hot water tank runs on propane and 110 volts.

The foot flush is just a preference.

I like the winterizing valve as I pump antifreeze through the lines then blow them out.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you plan to be at some campgrounds with electric, the two-way has electric so you can plug in and not use your propane. Which is what many people usually do.

It is foot or hand. One advantage of a foot flush is that you can use a cleaning wand in the toilet which is difficult to use with a hand flush. We have hand though and will have to use a bungee or something to connect to the sink to open the toilet valve for using the wand. We prefer the hand for most of the time. Others want the foot flush.

Yes, would not do without the winterizing t-valve. Makes pumping anti-freeze into the lines easy. Connects to the water pump and will come connected if on the build sheet.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Question The first of many questions!
Linda and I just put a down payment on a 17B. We have received our build sheet. Very scary seeing how we can go from 26k to 51k pretty fast. That said, we are looking forward to having the build sheet finalized by April 2017! So, some questions.
1. What is a two way hot water tank?

It runs on electricity as well as propane. Nice option.

2. Foot flush toilet sounds obvious. Does this replace a hand flush lever and is it necessary?

It does replace the hand flush lever. Some people like it. We don't have it. It's a personal preference thing.

3. Winterizing t-valve sounds like an absolute necessity?

Handy if you live in a cold climate.

Any comments or advice is appreciated. We are hoping to use this small trailer as our principle residence for a few years after
we retire in 2017.

The Escape is not really recommended for full timing but it can be done. Search for threads about full timing.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I think what they mean on the fulltiming is that they do not necessarily want to honor the warranty if you are using it as your main residence rather than as a vacationing travel trailer. Being in it all of the time obviuosly uses all of the components much more.

But of course there are fulltimers in small trailers including some Escapes.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
My thought is that the reference to full-timing is a disclaimer for liability purposes as full-time residences have a whole other set of building requirements and standards. Just my opinion...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Another oddball advantage to the winterizing tee and valve: you can hook up a short hose into an external water container, and draw from that.

Let's say you are staying in a site without services for an extended period, and so you are hauling additional water in containers to the trailer. You can use this connection to let the trailer's pump draw water directly from your portable container, rather than transferring the water from the portable container to the trailer's freshwater tank.

More than a little obscure, but I have done this (with a very different trailer that had this connection), and it worked well. It's probably not a reason to get the winterizing valve for many people (if anyone!) but it might be nice to know that you can do this if you get it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote