Thought Build Sheet Ready but.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thought Build Sheet Ready but....

...I went back and looked at a few things and now have some questions that I am sure can be answered through the collective wisdom of forum members as we finalize our Build Sheet for our 19.

(1) Standard 5cf refrigerator or the optional 6cf refrigerator? We currently have the standard fridge and a microwave above it on the Build Sheet. Now I am thinking - delete the microwave (not sure we would use it much) and get the larger fridge - two doors, one for fridge section and one for freezer section (at least that is what it appears to be). I think the larger freezer section would be useful as well as a bit more space overall. Has anyone with a new style 19 opted for the larger refrigerator? Any photos?

(2) Raised Dinette - we are definitely getting this option after seeing a new 19 without it. Any photos of the standard raised dinette on a 19? I have found some photos of raised benches but not of the ETI standard option.

(3) I added a 12v DC exterior to be located adjacent to the exterior 120v. The location appears to be rear passenger side on ETI's schematic. Is this located in the storage area or actually on the exterior of the trailer. Unfortunately, I did not look for this when we viewed a 19 two months ago.

Thanks in advance for your assistance as we work to finalize our Build Sheet.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19'
We deleted the microwave and choose the larger fridge.. I can't tell you if it's a good choice or not (yet).. We werent going to have microwave either way.. so it's either a bigger fridge or another storage..

I do like the separate freezer compartment tho..
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04347.jpg  
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
We deleted the microwave and choose the larger fridge.. I can't tell you if it's a good choice or not (yet).. We werent going to have microwave either way.. so it's either a bigger fridge or another storage..

Thanks. The photo helps to visualize the larger fridge in a 19. Pretty sure we are going to the larger fridge and no microwave. We have added a drawer under the wardrobe and added two shelves in the wardrobe so the loss of the storage/microwave area is not really a concern. I was certain the Build Sheet was done yesterday and then went through everything again. Glad I did - I think this will be a very worthwhile change.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We did not want a microwave as all we do with it is heat coffee at home, and when camping can sit and enjoy while hot. We have as standard the fridge that is optional in the 19 and really like it. As mentioned, the separate freezer door is so much nicer than what we had in our 19.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The standard refer is the 5 cubic ft, the optional 2 door is 6 cubic ft. in the 19, since the 21 and 5.0 is larger the is why the bigger unit is standard. with the 19 being smaller space is a premium. Where the microwave goes is a nice pantry for dry goods with the standard size refer. I guess you can always store food in the larger freezer, but for 2 people the 5 foot one is adequate, spoken by one who downgraded from a 21 back to a 19. That's my story and I'm sticking to it......
Old 09-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We have the 12v outlet and it's on the exterior of the fibreglass, beside the regular outlet. On ours it is not in the storage area. It's great and well sealed plug/cover.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #7

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
We've been debating whether to get the microwave, also, mainly because a couple of friends are suggesting we get it. Currently I think we are tending not to get it. We've camped for five years in our Casita and never missed having a microwave. I was in a store recently that had a stack of boxed small microwaves and they are heavy! When we were up at ETI recently we noticed the cabinet space that you would lose by adding a microwave is considerable! So... storage space and weight, is leaning us away from adding it to our build sheet.
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Know what you mean about changing your mind about options cuz we did the same thing. Was dead-sure we wanted the microwave, but after submitting our Build Sheet we requested it be deleted after realizing that we're camping more and more without hookups and could use a "pantry" instead. We're used to a 4.6 cubic foot fridge/freezer and it was very adequate for the two of us so saw no need to go with more than the standard 5.0. Sheesh! Our camping style keeps evolving and it's so hard to anticipate our needs in the future, but time's up! Gotta live with what we've chosen now. It's all good...

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
We got the microwave and never use it. We thought we would use it for pop-corn and to reheat coffee, but as Jim says, we now have time to drink it hot. We may eventually take it out and convert the space to a cupboard, but that's another project for another day. Good luck on your Build Sheet!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A refrigerator that's not jammed to the gills is more efficient than one that's completely stuffed. IF traveling when it's hot might be a concern, you want your refer to be as efficient as possible with air space around the food for the "cool" to circulate. These ain't your home refrigerators
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Do what suits YOU. We almost never use a microwave at home, let alone camping, so it made sense to go with no microwave and a larger fridge. If you use a microwave frequently, it might make sense to go with it in the trailer.

We have a raised dinette, but it's the previous generation 19. Should give you some idea though. Ours is raised 4" but I hear they are only raising it 3" now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1330.jpg  
Old 09-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Totally agree with Donna here. And when using the wardrobe as pantry, you will have more then enough storage.
For the raised dinette: two options available. Raised floor, which will bring everything up. Or raised benches only. All depends on your height which one to pick.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Ours. 3". Benches only
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0331a.jpg   IMG_0459a.jpg  
Old 09-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For me the larger refrigerator was a "must have". I spend at least part of my winter dry camping 30 miles from the nearest grocery store. The extra space in both the freezer & refrigerator saves trips. One of the reasons I opted for a 21 rather than the 19...
Old 09-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #15

All - thanks for the input and the photos. We are going to delete the microwave (rarely use it at home so not likely while camping) and we now like the idea of a bit more room in the fridge and freezer. The allure of Escape is that there are so many options available to tailor a trailer more closely to what the owner needs/wants. We liked our old truck camper (Hallmark) when we purchased it because they are also a small family owned company and are willing to customize their product - that is what first attracted us to Escape. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
Know what you mean about changing your mind about options cuz we did the same thing. Was dead-sure we wanted the microwave, but after submitting our Build Sheet we requested it be deleted after realizing that we're camping more and more without hookups and could use a "pantry" instead. We're used to a 4.6 cubic foot fridge/freezer and it was very adequate for the two of us so saw no need to go with more than the standard 5.0. Sheesh! Our camping style keeps evolving and it's so hard to anticipate our needs in the future, but time's up! Gotta live with what we've chosen now. It's all good...
Really understand. All or our prior camping has been minimalist whether truck camper or boat. Now, older, we like our comforts. That being said, we still want to be small enough to get away from the crowds and believe our tendency for simple and practical will follow through even as we add a bit more comfort to our lives.

We lived and worked in Fort Collins for many years. Nice town but getting very crowded. Now, very remote - near the Yaak wildnerness and...only two stoplights in the entire county!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post

We did the same and are very happy with the choice. Really like the separate freezer compartment and having plenty of room for food.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I used version control on our build sheet pdfs; the final was version 12 - ETI moved our build forward from 8 months out to 3 months so it was frenzy city for a bit!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:36 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Yes, Keith & Lauren, Ft Collins has really grown over the 23 years we've been here and traffic is getting crazy. Have only been in Idaho once but found it beautiful and look forward to returning to explore further!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote