Truck Help for 5.0TA needed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hi Sabres

Hello Sabres, you are in the same boat that we are; that is we have also placed an order for a 5.0 TA which is due to be built on March 25th, 2019 but we do not ow n a tow vehicle.

FYI, Escape has told us that we have to let them know by our confirmation date what our truck is and all of these measurements they have asked us for, like length from back window to center of hitch etc...Well they're going to have to wait because we cannot buy a vehicle until January or February 2019.

In the meantime we have done a lot of research into our prospective tow vehicle and we have decided that we will buy a Ford F150 with a V8 engine for these reasons: 1. They're bodies are aluminum and up here they use a lot of road salt in the winter - I have seen 3 year old trucks with body rust, so one less thing to worry about, 2. The Ford seems to have more glass in the cab area, bigger windows, I have sat in various trucks and the Fords feel roomier and more open, 3. Their V8, is a proven engine and has decent gas mileage and finally, I like their looks (and you should buy what you like )

Most importantly, there is no wrong decision because we're going to get a really cool trailer and as long as we can tow it - yippee
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. The information has been great and exactly why I enjoy the forum so much. Chotch- one if our finalists is the Ford, but we had some people wonder about ability to tow and gas mileage while towing. Any additional info or I sight on that option? Thanks!
Please, take an Ecoboost for a test drive. The 3.5 has the highest tow and payload of any of the very capable F150’s. In 2016 they where the class leaders. The 3.5 had a rating 1k higher (12000 lbs) than 5 litter v8. Since my 5.0 has only a 5500 lbs gvw the rating on my particular F150, 7500 lbs is more than adequate. So far towing from Florida to the Canadian border I have never been on a road I couldn’t be in passing lane. Worse mileage was thru the Katskills in NY. 13.5 mpg. Really tight winding roads. In Florida 16.5 mpg @ 60 mph. When not towing I’ve done as good as 22 mpg. You have to make sure you check the specs on payload, it varies quite a bit. Pay attention to axle ratio too. On my particular truck the only thing I really wish I had was the larger gas tank. Bought truck off the lot so don’t have it.
No matter what truck you buy do your homework because I have not seen a salesperson that was the least bit informed on towing capabilities. There’s a lot of buzz on spare tires that are not rated for towing ( on my rig the spare is the same as the other 4) I really believe if your buying new you could get a matching tire and at little or no extra cost. The pice of a spare isn’t worth loosing a sale. There’s lots of good tow vehicles out there if properly specked out. I couldn’t be happier with my F150 after actually using for a year and a half. 🤔Well maybe if it had the bigger gas tank
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #23

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Please, take an Ecoboost for a test drive. The 3.5 has the highest tow and payload of any of the very capable F150’s. In 2016 they where the class leaders. The 3.5 had a rating 1k higher (12000 lbs) than 5 litter v8. Since my 5.0 has only a 5500 lbs gvw the rating on my particular F150, 7500 lbs is more than adequate. So far towing from Florida to the Canadian border I have never been on a road I couldn’t be in passing lane. Worse mileage was thru the Katskills in NY. 13.5 mpg. Really tight winding roads. In Florida 16.5 mpg @ 60 mph. When not towing I’ve done as good as 22 mpg. You have to make sure you check the specs on payload, it varies quite a bit. Pay attention to axle ratio too. On my particular truck the only thing I really wish I had was the larger gas tank. Bought truck off the lot so don’t have it.
No matter what truck you buy do your homework because I have not seen a salesperson that was the least bit informed on towing capabilities. There’s a lot of buzz on spare tires that are not rated for towing ( on my rig the spare is the same as the other 4) I really believe if your buying new you could get a matching tire and at little or no extra cost. The pice of a spare isn’t worth loosing a sale. There’s lots of good tow vehicles out there if properly specked out. I couldn’t be happier with my F150 after actually using for a year and a half. 🤔Well maybe if it had the bigger gas tank

Chotch, we are considering the F-150 with 3.5 engine as a tow vehicle. What's your take on performance in mountain driving, specifically steep, twisty-turny roads?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #24

The 3.5 EB is everything the 2.7 is but more of it. From what I've read the mileage is pretty close too. if you look up the specs you'll find it not only has more torque than the 5.0 v8, that torque comes in sooner. My 2.7 tows great, 3.5 should be be even more capable.The new F150 comes with 10 speed tranny, that shoud be awesome, but I have not driven 1. Power comes in low and keeps on coming. For towing at altitude turbo motors have another advantage, they don't loose nearly as much power as the turbo compensates for the thinner air. My 2cents
Old 11-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #25

Thanks Chotch, that is good information. I will definitely make sure to try one out. Never thought about the spare but I'll make sure I have a full size as we would like to be able to go to out of the way places, really glad to see the kind of gas mileage you're getting with your 8 cylinder engine, that is impressive. You mentioned the axle ratios - is there a ratio which is best?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Thanks Chotch, that is good information. I will definitely make sure to try one out. Never thought about the spare but I'll make sure I have a full size as we would like to be able to go to out of the way places, really glad to see the kind of gas mileage you're getting with your 8 cylinder engine, that is impressive. You mentioned the axle ratios - is there a ratio which is best?
The Ecoboost motors are V 6 not v8. Axle ratio is important, for towing with the F150 the 3:73 would give you the max tow rating. My truck ,which I bought off the lot has 3:55. For my 5.0 TA it works good. They offer a taller ratio, 3:31 but I don’t think you’ll find this combined with a tow package. You might be surprised at the difference in performance axle ratio makes. The 3:31 for mileage and light work, the 3:73 the most work at slight cost to mileage.
Another 2 cents
Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Either way you go, think about used.....lot of great 1-2 year olds out there with balance of warranties and $4-6K cheaper. Craigslist, Cars.com and Autotrader make it pretty easy to advance search for the options you want. 10-12K usually works out most of the bugs by the original owner and still leaves you with some warranty peace of mind...and the drive off the lot depreciation has already occurred!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #28

Trailer: Hopefull future Escapee 5.0
Chotch, thanks for this great information. Just to make sure, you have the Ecoboost 2.7 and you have had no problems towing and the gas mileage you are talking about? I just want to make sure. If so, have you done any towing out west in the mountains with it? We are looking at the variety of Fords and I like to do my research, which drives the other half nuts. We really appreciate your input!!
Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #29

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Chotch, thanks for this great information. Just to make sure, you have the Ecoboost 2.7 and you have had no problems towing and the gas mileage you are talking about? I just want to make sure. If so, have you done any towing out west in the mountains with it? We are looking at the variety of Fords and I like to do my research, which drives the other half nuts. We really appreciate your input!!
On October 26 we took off with our 5.0 TA pulled by our 2015 F150, 3.5 Ecoboost, Max Tow Package, 6 speed transmission with 3.55 rear end (or is it 3.31?). We took US 1 down the Oregon, and California coast, with a brief cruise down the Anderson Valley. Probably 75% of the miles were curvy, up and down, speed up, slow down for curves with an average speed of maybe 45 mph. The F150 with the 5.0 felt like a sports car compared to the towed campers (Scamp, Casita, Cougar, Lance, Bigfoot) we've had the last 15 years.

So far our gas mileage is 13.2 mpg. This is figured by actual miles divided by actual gallons, not using the mpg mileage Ford determines. The Ford estimate is from .7 to 1.5 mpg too high. We expect to get better mileage when we're finally on the road.

The F150 with 3.55 rear has more power than is needed and has no problem with 5-10% grades or more. The 3.5 Ecoboost has been around for 14 (?) years and keeps getting improved on. I know of a couple with over 250,000 miles that are still running strong.

Beware of my and others claims of gas mileage. That's what we get and yours depends on how you drive, where you drive, weather, and how your particular engine broke-in. We drive 55 mph on two lane roads and 60 on Interstates. I don't baby the engine just to get .5 mpg better, but having lived on Interstate 90 in Minnesota for 20 years I've seen too many blown tires on campers sitting on the side of the road.

There are many good pull trucks out there. First and foremost for us was the payload capacity of the truck. Ours is over 1,900 #'s. I also got into one F150 that only had 1,000 #'s capacity. My one piece of advice is check the door pillar for your payload capacity. A lower capacity truck may need airbags to handle the 5.0, whereas ours only squats 1.25".

Have fun making your choice of pull truck and camper!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Either way you go, think about used.....lot of great 1-2 year olds out there with balance of warranties and $4-6K cheaper. Craigslist, Cars.com and Autotrader make it pretty easy to advance search for the options you want. 10-12K usually works out most of the bugs by the original owner and still leaves you with some warranty peace of mind...and the drive off the lot depreciation has already occurred!
That's our plan. I think we will be targeting a 2018 model in the next year or so.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
On October 26 we took off with our 5.0 TA pulled by our 2015 F150, 3.5 Ecoboost, Max Tow Package, 6 speed transmission with 3.55 rear end (or is it 3.31?). We took US 1 down the Oregon, and California coast, with a brief cruise down the Anderson Valley. Probably 75% of the miles were curvy, up and down, speed up, slow down for curves with an average speed of maybe 45 mph. The F150 with the 5.0 felt like a sports car compared to the towed campers (Scamp, Casita, Cougar, Lance, Bigfoot) we've had the last 15 years.

So far our gas mileage is 13.2 mpg. This is figured by actual miles divided by actual gallons, not using the mpg mileage Ford determines. The Ford estimate is from .7 to 1.5 mpg too high. We expect to get better mileage when we're finally on the road.

The F150 with 3.55 rear has more power than is needed and has no problem with 5-10% grades or more. The 3.5 Ecoboost has been around for 14 (?) years and keeps getting improved on. I know of a couple with over 250,000 miles that are still running strong.

Beware of my and others claims of gas mileage. That's what we get and yours depends on how you drive, where you drive, weather, and how your particular engine broke-in. We drive 55 mph on two lane roads and 60 on Interstates. I don't baby the engine just to get .5 mpg better, but having lived on Interstate 90 in Minnesota for 20 years I've seen too many blown tires on campers sitting on the side of the road.

There are many good pull trucks out there. First and foremost for us was the payload capacity of the truck. Ours is over 1,900 #'s. I also got into one F150 that only had 1,000 #'s capacity. My one piece of advice is check the door pillar for your payload capacity. A lower capacity truck may need airbags to handle the 5.0, whereas ours only squats 1.25".

Have fun making your choice of pull truck and camper!

Enjoy,

Perry

Good info, Perry, thanks!
Old 11-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We’ve owned trucks with a 3.42 ,3.55 , 3.73 , 3.92, ratio rearends
The 3.92 rearend works the best for our needs . The 3.73 was acceptable
Our major concern was performance not MPGs .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The one change I would make to our F150 would be to have a larger, numerically rear end, i.e. a 3.92 instead of a 3.31. Performance is NOT an issue with the 3.5 Echoboost pulling even our 6,500 pound Bigfoot.

With our 3.31 (?) I need to lock out 6th gear because it gets poorer gas mileage at 60 mph and the rpm's are too low pulling in 6th gear. Seventy-five percent of the mileage on our F150 is pulling a camper, and we don't pull over 60 mph, so we don't need a 3.31. Because of this our 6 speed is really only a 5 speed. Of course, with today's 10 speed that would be a moot point

The other thing I forgot to mention previously is we are really happy with our 36 gallon tank.

We bought our 2015 F150 XLT in late November of 2015. It was hard finding a XLT with the max tow package AND a smaller numerically rear end AND a 36 gallon tank. Our Rochester dealer looked and looked and finally found one 450 miles away. If I remember correctly the truck had 465 miles on it by the time it got to Rochester and the dealer that had it gave an additional discount if we took it because I wanted red (red is faster) but this one was white. We got this fully outfitted (for our needs) for nearly $15,000 off the sticker price.

We rarely buy new cars, trucks and only our 5.0 camper was new. Make a list of what you want, stick to it, and don't scrimp to save a buck that you will regret later. Our plans are to keep our F150 and 5.0 a minimum of 10 years.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
The one change I would make to our F150 would be to have a larger, numerically rear end, i.e. a 3.92 instead of a 3.31. Performance is NOT an issue with the 3.5 Echoboost pulling even our 6,500 pound Bigfoot.

With our 3.31 (?) I need to lock out 6th gear because it gets poorer gas mileage at 60 mph and the rpm's are too low pulling in 6th gear. Seventy-five percent of the mileage on our F150 is pulling a camper, and we don't pull over 60 mph, so we don't need a 3.31. Because of this our 6 speed is really only a 5 speed. Of course, with today's 10 speed that would be a moot point

The other thing I forgot to mention previously is we are really happy with our 36 gallon tank.

We bought our 2015 F150 XLT in late November of 2015. It was hard finding a XLT with the max tow package AND a smaller numerically rear end AND a 36 gallon tank. Our Rochester dealer looked and looked and finally found one 450 miles away. If I remember correctly the truck had 465 miles on it by the time it got to Rochester and the dealer that had it gave an additional discount if we took it because I wanted red (red is faster) but this one was white. We got this fully outfitted (for our needs) for nearly $15,000 off the sticker price.

We rarely buy new cars, trucks and only our 5.0 camper was new. Make a list of what you want, stick to it, and don't scrimp to save a buck that you will regret later. Our plans are to keep our F150 and 5.0 a minimum of 10 years.

Enjoy,

Perry
I always thought a lower gear ratio was better for gas and quickness and higher for towing capacity, the opposite of what you indicated?
Old 11-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Axle ratio makes a major difference in performance of any vehicle. The 3:73 was the lowest ratio offered in the 2016 F150. With that gear set a 2.7 could be rated as high as 8500 lbs. The 3.5 with the same axle could go as high as 12000 lbs. My 2.7 with 3:55 axle (rated for 7500 lbs) has easily towed my 5.0TA up and down the east coast. I normally tow at 60 mph but even on occasion it easily handled 80. So far I have not seen a grade where I couldn’t be in passing lane. Accelerating away from rest stop on steep uphill most of the time I’m at speed limit before merging lane ends.
[emoji848] guess what I’m trying to say here is ratio is important but only part of the package. The power plant and tranny as well as the overall vehicle weight all come into play. You could in theory tow an Escape with a lawn tractor with the right gear reduction, wouldn’t go too fast and you’d probably need a brake upgrade[emoji23]
Old 11-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought a lower gear ratio was better for gas and quickness and higher for towing capacity, the opposite of what you indicated?

The higher the number the lower the gear. The number represents the turns the drive shaft makes per revolution of the wheel. The higher that number is, the more mechanical advantage (harder acceleration and higher tow rating) but the lower the top speed. Nothings free, you trade 1 for the other.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #37

Quote:

Yup, 2016 F150, 4x4, 6.5 ‘ bed, 3:55 with 6speed tranny. Have not gone out west yet. But the hills in Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Vermont, North Carolina and the Katskills in NY have been no problem. When we go out west where you have some serious altitude, we’ll see. Keep in mind that turbo and supercharged motors do have an advantage at altitude. Now the newer F150 is an even more capable truck, with more hp and torque plus a 10 speed tranny.[emoji41]
Old 11-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Engines run efficiently in a certain rpm bandwidth. My 3.5 EB, pulling a camper, runs well at 1,600 prm's and up, but below that lugs, not entirely burning all the fuel its given, therefore getting poorer gas mileage. I have roughly 30,000 miles pulling with our 3.5 and have looked at the current gas mileage gauge enough to realize that once it gets below 1,600 rpms fuel mileage goes down. When NOT pulling the rpm's can go lower and still get good gas mileage.

Today's vehicles are designed to get good gas mileage at 70-80 mph and a lower numerically rear end has improved the gas mileage. However, I don't pull at 70-80 mph and that's why I should have purchased a higher numerically rear end so I can use all six of my gears when pulling.

The 3.5 EB has a very wide torque range allowing me to get away with a five speed, driving any speed I want. Plus, I can lock-out to any gear I choose. For instance, we are currently in Sequoia National Park where you're lucky to drive 45 mph. The past couple of days I've locked out gears 4-6, using only 1-3, to set my cruise at 35 mph, otherwise it starts lugging and then shifts down.

I don't think I would purchase a 4.11, but would the next lower rear end if I was replacing my 2015 F150.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #39

Perry, just curious, how do you lock out gears on the F-150?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #40

Hey Tford, that is exactly what we're doing, checking on Autotrader and then dealer by dealer to try and get a 1-2 year old Ford F150, there are tons to choose from as they are extremely popular vehicles in Ontario and we can generally save between $7-10000 Cdn compared to buying new. One item I have not seeing discussed here and I would like to ask about, my brother in law, a long time 5th wheeler told me its very useful to get a truck with the built in trailer brake controller, he says they work better and they are much more user friendly to operate while driving, this obviously narrows down my choices but there are a few around? Also while on the subject I noticed that almost all the fords i have looked at have the Pro trailer Backup Assist knob, I am very experienced backing up trailers just wondering how that gizmo works with 5th wheels?

Tags
5.0, axle, hitch, truck