TV antennas - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sherburne, New York
Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Posts: 190
TV antennas

what is the difference between the jack antenna and the amplifier antenna. we were not go to get a TV set up, but after reading about some one holed up for 6 days with rainy whether
thought we would double think this. thanks.
__________________

Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
The Jack has a built-in amplifier.

Basically there are 3 ways to pull in signals that aren't close to you. Use a small antenna with an amplifier. Use a larger antenna, the 4 bay or 8 bay type, without an amplifier. Or use an amplifier with a large antenna when you're trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat, sort of a hail mary situation for getting a marginal signal.

I use a 4 bay antenna on the road, but it's bulky and needs to be set-up. I've read so many good comments about the Jack that I'm ready to switch before my next major trip.

Ron
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Posts: 997
I didn't know much about TV antennas in setting up the build sheet but in reading this forum, I decided to go with the Jack antenna. A glowing review from Tractors sealed the deal and after being parked in one location for 4 weeks, it really came through. Though I had said I would be happy if I got the one local channel, I got 24 stations and the picture quality on a Samsung 19" TV beat anything here at home with cable. It was a very good choice. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
and the picture quality on a Samsung 19" TV beat anything here at home with cable. Loren
Not an unusual situation. My den TV is connected to both cable and my 8 bay OTA antenna. Switch back and forth between the two and the antenna does have a better resolution picture.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,154
Over the Air signal is true High Definition signal. Cable is compressed and does not deliver true high def, even though a lot of cable companies charged for high def.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My den TV is connected to both cable and my 8 bay OTA antenna. Switch back and forth between the two and the antenna does have a better resolution picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Over the Air signal is true High Definition signal. Cable is compressed and does not deliver true high def, even though a lot of cable companies charged for high def.
All digital video transmission systems use compression - the data volumes would be impractical otherwise. The surprise for many of us was that over-the-air (OTA) broadcasters have generally chosen to transmit at higher resolution than most satellite and cable systems (1080 instead of 720), and also use less aggressive compression. If you can receive OTA broadcasts without problems (data dropouts that cause freezing, audio dropouts, loss of resolution, or areas of the image not updating in synch), they are great quality.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:45 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
memobug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The Jack has a built-in amplifier.

Basically there are 3 ways to pull in signals that aren't close to you. Use a small antenna with an amplifier. Use a larger antenna, the 4 bay or 8 bay type, without an amplifier. Or use an amplifier with a large antenna when you're trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat, sort of a hail mary situation for getting a marginal signal.

I use a 4 bay antenna on the road, but it's bulky and needs to be set-up. I've read so many good comments about the Jack that I'm ready to switch before my next major trip.

Ron
4) Or use a directional antenna.

I think the Jack offers a nice combination: a relatively small, directional antenna with an amplifier and a signal strength display.

Regards,

Matt
__________________
Escape 19 - 2009
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #8
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I didn't know much about TV antennas in setting up the build sheet but in reading this forum, I decided to go with the Jack antenna. A glowing review from Tractors sealed the deal and after being parked in one location for 4 weeks, it really came through. Though I had said I would be happy if I got the one local channel, I got 24 stations and the picture quality on a Samsung 19" TV beat anything here at home with cable. It was a very good choice. Loren
I'm delighted when I'm right! Had that happen last year too!
__________________

__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.