Two Spare Tire Carriers? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #1

Trailer: TBD
Two Spare Tire Carriers?

My tow vehicle has a compact spare and I would like to carry a full-size spare but don't want to give up any storage space. Does anybody have a suggestion on where to carry a full-size tow vehicle spare?

Is there room on the Escape 21' rear bumper to carry an additional 30" spare for the tow vehicle, or would the taillights be covered? I guess there would have to be 60+" between the taillights to carry two spares.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
It doesn’t appear that a 21 is wide enough for a second spare tire without at least partially covering the tail lights. I’m also not sure I’d want the additional weight back there on the bumper. I would go underneath. This thread may give you some ideas.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...1-a-14796.html
Old 03-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is your tow vehicle? Got a roof rack?
Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
My tow vehicle has a compact spare and I would like to carry a full-size spare but don't want to give up any storage space. Does anybody have a suggestion on where to carry a full-size tow vehicle spare?

Is there room on the Escape 21' rear bumper to carry an additional 30" spare for the tow vehicle, or would the taillights be covered? I guess there would have to be 60+" between the taillights to carry two spares.
Perhaps, if you do not use the receiver on the rear of the Escape you could get a receiver style tire carrier with the proper bolt pattern for a vehicle spare and carry the vehicle spare behind the rear bumper mounted Escape spare. A nice custom tire cover and away you go. The receiver is rated for 150 lbs and your vehicle spare would be well below that. And it would not block vision of the taillights.
I’ve seen a few SUVs with the spare up in the roof rack. When I see one I always say
“On safari with Frank Buck. Bring em back alive Frank”
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is your tow vehicle? Got a roof rack?
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD. No roof rack and won't be getting one. The logical choice just leaves the spare in the pickup bed but I would rather not for storage space, convenience and security reasons.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The bed would be the logical choice as you say...even if you suspend it from the top side rails so you side stuff underneath.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
On an old F100 I had I mounted the tire on end behind the cab. You can buy brackets for such.

Here's another idea.
Attached Thumbnails
tire rack.jpg  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD.
The full-sized tires are presumably 245/60R18. The compact spare may be a T165/90R17, which is much narrower (about 80 mm or three inches) as well as smaller in diameter, but some Ridgelines have apparently come with a "full-sized" spare, so there may be room in the spare carrier to fit something larger than the compact spare.
  1. Although this vehicle came with a compact (narrow) spare, could a full-sized spare go in the same location... perhaps without the slide-in carrier? If the 245 mm wide tire doesn't fit, is there a size which has the same diameter, but is narrower (while still wider than the temporary spare) and would still fit?
  2. Alternatively, will a full-sized spare fit in the under-bed trunk, or is the truck not large enough for the tire diameter? It would likely need to sit tilted, front edge up, if it goes in at all. That would be using storage space, but wouldn't be taking up space in the bed, and the original (compact) spare location would be freed up to partially make up for the loss of trunk space.

For those not familiar with the Ridgeline... there is an underfloor trunk in the back of the bed, and if you open it you can see forward into this compartment where the spare tire goes, further forward under the bed floor:

This is part of why the floor of the Ridgeline bed is so high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
On an old F100 I had I mounted the tire on end behind the cab. You can buy brackets for such.
Honda provides a mounting location to do that in the Ridgeline. It comes up in the Ridgeline forum discussions of the spare, and is shown in the Wikipedia page for the Ridgeline:

Unfortunately, I suspect that a full-sized spare will need to go somewhere external. Honda's stock location at the back of the cab is the obvious choice. Putting it on the back of the trailer has problems, but at least it's less likely that some thief will see it as a valuable wheel to steal. Under the trailer makes the most sense to me, since that is good for trailer stability and not visibly obvious... but watch for clearance, since this is a relatively wide tire (40 mm wider than the Escape's tires). Maybe move the Escape's spare underneath, and put the Honda spare on the Escape's stock carrier?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #9

I thought about that too, (swapping the locations) but did not know if the Ridgeline bolt pattern was compatible with the Escape tire carrier.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I thought about that too, (swapping the locations)...
Hey, I didn't even think of that: I was suggesting putting the Escape's spare under the trailer (as suggested earlier), but instead you could just swap them, if the narrower and smaller (in diameter) Escape tire fits in the Ridgeline's spare tire compartment. That would be slick.

Make sure you get a cover for the Ridgeline's tire when on the Escape, so it isn't such an obvious theft target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
... but did not know if the Ridgeline bolt pattern was compatible with the Escape tire carrier.
It's not: the Escape is 5-on-4.5" (or 114.3 mm) with near zero offset, and the Ridgeline is 5-on-120 mm (4.72") with 55 mm offset (of a wider wheel). I didn't even check before suggesting putting the Honda wheel on the Escape carrier, because I assume some modification of the carrier would be needed; I should have mentioned that, but this shouldn't be a big deal (especially compared to a new spare mount under the trailer for the trailer's spare).

Anyone not wanting to do metalwork could use a roughly 55 mm thick (2") block of whatever (wood? some plastic?) bolted to the stock holes/studs in the carrier and with bolts protruding from it for the tug's wheel. If the tug's tire is too large (the Ridgeline's tire is taller than the Escape's tire) the block can be offset to raise the wheel.

Since the Ridgeline's wheel and tire assembly is substantially heavier than the Escape's, it's also worth considering (if putting the Ridgeline spare in place of the Escape spare) a whole new replacement carrier, which would be taller and stronger (and have the desired mounting style).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #11

I’ve been kicking this around for the Highlander and the 15”’ Escape tire. I’ve been in discussion with another Escape owner. Under the Highlander with the “donut”’ there’s some room and the hitch is not in the way. That said, as soon as the weather breaks I’m going to jack up the Highlander and pull a wheel and drop the spare. Then I’ll try to put a full sized tire up under the Highlander. If it fits I’ll buy another tire and wheel. Doesn’t have to match brands just sizes. If it does not fit I’ll switch it out with the Escape spare and get a customizable blank cover and hang the Highlander spare on the Escape. I’ll do this as a prep move when I go on a trip. Should only take about ten minutes a few times a year. I’m not stressed for time and changing tires around, working around my yard and chasing my dog are my workouts. If I had to build a standoff for the spare I’d maybe use Trex lumber but probably a piece of plate with longer bolts.
Iowa Dave

Iowa Dave
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #12

Good idea.