two weeks to go to complete build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
two weeks to go to complete build sheet

We are close to a complete build sheet. One item I am still scratching my head on is the surge protector. We do not plug in that often, and will have solar. I could install the unit later easily enough if we decide we need it, but later might be after some sort of damage is done to something.

So, I am interested in opinions/experiences, particularly actual events where this unit saved someone's bacon, or damage was done without it. I would also like to hear thoughts on exactly what the vulnerability of the trailer is to power spikes. Would a spike to the converter result in damage to the 12 volt electrics on the trailer? I gather from another thread that the Maxfan control board, for example, may not be happy even with charging voltages, much less a significant spike on the 12v side. And then we have the controllers for the fridge and furnace. We will not have AC, so there will be little or nothing other than the converter directly connected to shore power.

Cheers, and thanks for the help,

Allan Edie
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Know what you mean; no AC here and hardly ever use electric hookups, yet we do on a few occasions and there are too many stories about bad power in campgrounds & RV parks that we did get it.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
We dont plug in that much (1/5 trips so far) but we choose to have it anyway.. we like to think it as cheap insurance for when we needed to plug in.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Like Rossue, we don't plug-in very often. When we do, it's nice to feel that we can do so safely, without frying our Escape's innards. We finally opted for a entry-level portable unit, such as this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Surge-Guard...70_&dpSrc=srch

There are many similar units available, all around that entry level price. Sure, those basic units don't have all the bells and whistles of the pricier ones, but it's now lasted us up to our 3rd Escape trailer in some questionable locations and brownout conditions.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #5

Sounding like another ka-ching...
Old 04-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
We have camped in places where the voltage fluctuated down below 100 volts (was up to 101 by the time I took the photo). The system that ETI installed in our trailer has undoubtedly saved us a few headaches.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2383.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	30795
Old 04-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
We are close to a complete build sheet. One item I am still scratching my head on is the surge protector. We do not plug in that often, and will have solar. I could install the unit later easily enough if we decide we need it, but later might be after some sort of damage is done to something.

So, I am interested in opinions/experiences, particularly actual events where this unit saved someone's bacon, or damage was done without it. I would also like to hear thoughts on exactly what the vulnerability of the trailer is to power spikes. Would a spike to the converter result in damage to the 12 volt electrics on the trailer? I gather from another thread that the Maxfan control board, for example, may not be happy even with charging voltages, much less a significant spike on the 12v side. And then we have the controllers for the fridge and furnace. We will not have AC, so there will be little or nothing other than the converter directly connected to shore power.

Cheers, and thanks for the help,

Allan Edie
Hi: Allan Edie... Here's a thought. We use a portable one, since 2008, as seen in the pic from home. Maybe not the best...but it's at least something. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040374.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #8

Trailer: None now
We had the portable and decided to sell it to a friend for a cheap price and have the hardwired one installed. Our previous one came in handy twice, once on no neutral and once on something I had never seen before. We plugged in and the unit did not display anything just a blinking dot. After a bit I unplugged and using my tester I checked hot to ground 120, neutral to ground 120, ok they had it wired as a 240 outlet instead of 120. But hot to neutral showed zero volts.
That did not make sense, I had the park guy on site and he let me pull the cover and when I looked inside I saw 2 black and a white wire going to the 30 amp outlet. So I requested a new site as apparently they had wired 2 120 breakers to the outlet. We were only there 2 days and the site was empty during that time so I did not find out how they fixed it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #9

We have had the same system in our Casita ( for sale !) for many years, and I can't tell you how many times it's saved us and I've told the campground of power problems. I can remember reversed polarities, missing grounds, many under-voltages, etc,... Don't leave home without it, especially if you want to plug in expensive stuff, and/or use an AC unit.

To spend all that money on the camper and not get that extra insurance ? ...
Old 04-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I posed the same question over a year ago and got many replies recommending the hardwired unit. I took their advice and am happy I did even though I don't have an A/C to protect and haven't found any sites with electrical problems yet. I also got the external 30 amp cord. I did notice a large voltage drop at home when running 100 ft. of extension cord to the trailer because my existing cords were 16 gauge. I bought two 12 gauge X 50 ' cords at Costco ($34.99 for both) and a 30 X 20 amp. pigtail from Amazon.com. Now I use the 12 g cord with pigtail for most camping when I have hookups. I recently bought some plugs and I plan to cut up one of the 50 ft. cords into 10, 15 and 25 ft. so I can use shorter lengths. I can monitor the amp. usage on the surge protection monitor while using a 900/1500 watt heater so I don't worry about pulling too many amps thru the cord. And, I don't worry about the 30 amp. cord sprouting legs and walking off when I'm not around.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Not worth rolling the dice in my opinion. Didn't have one stock when trailer was bought used, but added it. For the price of the ETI option you really can't go wrong having them do it at the factory. Another benefit as SFDavis50 mentioned is that you can monitor the amp draw at a glance which is helpful if you are plugged into a 20 amp service or a small generator and are trying to limit your demand (but without A/C you would have less likelihood to have an issue).

Here are some more stories that may help convince you.
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/surge-protector-11545.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not worth rolling the dice in my opinion. Didn't have one stock when trailer was bought used, but added it. For the price of the ETI option you really can't go wrong having them do it at the factory. Another benefit as SFDavis50 mentioned is that you can monitor the amp draw at a glance which is helpful if you are plugged into a 20 amp service or a small generator and are trying to limit your demand (but without A/C you would have less likelihood to have an issue).

Here are some more stories that may help convince you.
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/surge-protector-11545.html
Thanks for the link - I did search for surge protector earlier, but for some reason it did not come up. No matter, it was a good thread. So far, the collective opinion is that it ranges somewhere between worthwhile and important. Ka-ching.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When you consider the exchange rate, the cost is about what you will pay in US just for the item and the install is free more or less. I have installed one myself but now I have Reace and Co install. Also the portable unit Alf mentions is fine EXCEPT, theft and some power pedestals are too low for the unit to work, best to to have the built in unit.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When you consider the exchange rate, the cost is about what you will pay in US just for the item and the install is free more or less.
No exchange advantage for AllanEdie based on his profile
Old 04-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I was answering the question for others also, but either way with current cost for unit is $300 US plus installation, which is about $375 Cn so the $350 cn price is cheaper than to purchase.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #16

No exchange advantage here.

Anyway, the price that ETI charges to supply and install the protector is absolutely reasonable, as are their charges for the other options. If I decide that we want the unit, ETI will be putting it in. Given the comments so far, I think the cash register is starting to ring.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Or as others have stated, if you don't have it and something gets fried, then the cash register will really ring and maybe ruin a trip! It has seemed to me that with some campgrounds, everything goes on very quickly, while at campgrounds that seem a bit "sketchy," the monitor takes longer before allowing juice to enter the trailer. Always have confidence once the power is flowing!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was answering the question for others also, but either way with current cost for unit is $300 US plus installation, which is about $375 Cn so the $350 cn price is cheaper than to purchase.
Amazon has the unit for $229 US, but point taken. For the price easier to have it installed at the factory and the work is under warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC6RSA...ding=UTF8&th=1
Old 04-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
Thanks for the link - I did search for surge protector earlier, but for some reason it did not come up.
Allan: Not sure how you are doing your searches but for future reference I've had the best luck with the "Search Site/Google" box versus the "Search Forums" box. The first will zero right in on the most pertinent threads, whereas the latter will pick up the keywords and then just list the threads by date which gives you too many extraneous threads. See pic. Try it both ways and you will see what I mean.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Allan: Not sure how you are doing your searches but for future reference I've had the best luck with the "Search Site/Google" box versus the "Search Forums" box. The first will zero right in on the most pertinent threads, whereas the latter will pick up the keywords and then just list the threads by date which gives you too many extraneous threads. See pic. Try it both ways and you will see what I mean.
Excellent suggestion. I confess that, as you suspected, my searches have not appeared particularly effective. I look forward to trying the google way. Thanks very much for the head's up, I appreciate it.