U dinette in 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
U dinette in 19

Been changing my mind often on u done the. My concern has been having a comfortable place to stretch out vs loss of table size. I've been thinking if I had to flip ups on either side that could work great. What is your experience out there. Thanks.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We got the U dinette in our 19 and love it, but you have to match it to what you need. We've had 2 adults and two teenagers eating dinner on the table with the U so it's pretty capable for meals. Our trailer is for eventual full-timing and we wanted the lounge for watching tv or reading and relaxing. Won't even be taking the table with us then, but am designing a small cocktail table to go on one pole for lounging. Add a couple of pillowbacks and we'll have a nice lounge.

If you are just camping on weekends and are taking kids all the time you may prefer the full dinette.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We have the U-shaped table and we are still 'figuring things out.' when camping in the colder climates and rain, we eat around the table and sometimes I wish I had the bench seats as it is tight and we knock the table a bit. But, in warmer weather when we eat outside all the time, happy to have the u-shape.

In rain or shine, I wake up early and it's a nice place to read and not bother hubby. We don't have the flip ups so I can't help you there, but it seems like a good idea.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #4

It's just two of us so kids no worry. My do is getting old but if I get a new one it woylseem like he would also have more room.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

I see the auto correct on my phone butchered my post. Oh well. What I was trying to say is there are only two of us and an aging dog so I thought the dinette gave more room for dog to move around and with a couple of flip down tables we may make up for loss of larger table. I certainly want the opportunity to stretch out vs just sitting around the table or on the bed if weather requires being inside.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have the standard dinette with full sized table and manage to recline very comfortably against the end wall, with a couple of small throw pillows. Sure, one arm usually rests on the table, but very comfortably. When camping with family we seat 3 people on either bench seat for meals and games. I can see that the U-shaped dinette is probably more comfortable for lounging, but don't dismiss the standard dinette as being uncomfortable without trying it out first hand. (At a rally or connect with local Escape owner)
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
If you're able to check out both styles of dinette that will really help. Hopefully there are a few of them in your neck of the woods or in a location you might be traveling to in the near future.

I really liked the idea of a u-shaped dinette and when I was pondering that last year, a local owner offered theirs for viewing.

Here's the results of that visit:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ette-5674.html

I've got long legs and it was very uncomfortable sitting on the regular dinette and trying to stretch out. I like to put my feet up when reading and I was too scrunched up in the regular dinette. Plus, I plan to travel with the cats and I know they'll want to snuggle up next to me while I'm reading. Lots more room in the u-shape, especially with the addition of one of the filler boards.

But, yeah, if you can try out both styles, that will really help. Everyone has different needs and uses and they're different sizes, so what works for some won't work for others.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
another option is convert the front to a bed and a "U" dinette in the rear of the 19' Escape?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Agree with Laura, you've got quite a few Escapes near you and plenty of time. I'd see if you could go experience one of each before deciding.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We have the standard dinette with full sized table and manage to recline very comfortably against the end wall, with a couple of small throw pillows. Sure, one arm usually rests on the table, but very comfortably. When camping with family we seat 3 people on either bench seat for meals and games. I can see that the U-shaped dinette is probably more comfortable for lounging, but don't dismiss the standard dinette as being uncomfortable without trying it out first hand. (At a rally or connect with local Escape owner)
Bob K
Ditto exactly. Pillow against the wall, feet up We've no desire for a U shaped dinette, both of us are quite comfortable with the conventional setup and still having the full size table, which sometimes is in full use.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Everything is relative; including comfort.
Attached Thumbnails
Charly.jpg  
Old 05-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
[QUOTE=Ron in BC;140870]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Bob K
QUOTE]

Ditto exactly. Pillow against the wall, feet up We've no desire for a U shaped dinette, both of us are quite comfortable with the conventional setup and still having the full size table, which sometimes is in full use.

Ron
Another vote for regular dinette . Think the space is a little too small for u dinette to be a improvement . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #13

Gbaglo the picture kind of pushes me toward the dinette. Things look tight. I'm 6ft. Well at least I used to be.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That's the front dinette in a 17'.
It's a two person dinette.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
We made a last minute change from the u-dinette to the standard. After our recent 49 day trip we have no regrets.

We are able to lounge with a pillow behind the back feet up on the bench and still have the larger table. We keep a basket on the table with maps, local info, journal, and misc clutter and still have room for meals.

We also find the standard easier to get in and out of and less cramped feeling.

We have extra custom fabric however due to the late change, oh well.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRay View Post
We made a last minute change from the u-dinette to the standard. After our recent 49 day trip we have no regrets.

We are able to lounge with a pillow behind the back feet up on the bench and still have the larger table. We keep a basket on the table with maps, local info, journal, and misc clutter and still have room for meals.

We also find the standard easier to get in and out of and less cramped feeling.

We have extra custom fabric however due to the late change, oh well.
Just a thought . If you need a picture let me know . You can make a nice shelf spanning across at the back and sitting on the ledge boards where you drop your table to make bed etc. we use that shelf for Kleenlex, books , I-pad , whatever . It will just sit there but if needed you can remove it . Pat
Old 05-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
another option is convert the front to a bed and a "U" dinette in the rear of the 19' Escape?
I've decided to go with the reverse 19' floor plan. The back will have the more spacious U-shape lounge and the table will be approximately 35" by 32" (as Sarah informed me). I plan on putting banquet style legs to the table so it can also be used outdoors and there won't be a base screwed to the floor. We'll have the smaller bed up front, but we're fine with that as we are not huge people and we'll have more use with the lounge area (more floor space for two dogs too!).
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Just a thought . If you need a picture let me know . You can make a nice shelf spanning across at the back and sitting on the ledge boards where you drop your table to make bed etc. we use that shelf for Kleenlex, books , I-pad , whatever . It will just sit there but if needed you can remove it . Pat

A picture would be appreciated.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Promise to post . Need to do a few errands . Pat
Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #20

u dinette in 19

Quote:
found some pictures so you can get the idea . I keep changing so just look at the shelf in the back . I have 2 ledge boards because I made a platform to raise up the floor and for right now left the Escape ledge for structural support , because I raised my dinette sitting also . The shelf can be removed . It hasn't in over 2 years . I also shortened my table . I can get you more pictures if needed . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0558.jpg   IMG_0550.jpg   IMG_0545.jpg   IMG_0552.jpg