u shaped dinette 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
u shaped dinette 21

Well, thought 19 was what we wanted, but then figured out front windows may be a little high for optimum view. So, we are now looking at 21. Anyone know how much table length is lost with u shaped dinette option in 21? I think table is 48" long with the standard bench seats. Also, is the floor raised in the dinette area in all the 21 trailers? Just seems like all the pics I see of 21, the floor is raised in the dinette area. Thanks
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The table in my 21 (with the "U" shaped dinette) is 34 1/2" wide by 29 1/4" deep (front to back) I have the single 3 stage air pedestal rather than the two standard ones supplied by Escape - don't know if that makes a difference in table size, but I doubt it.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #3

Did some more looking and found pic of 21 with bench dinette with level floor, so probably that's the way it comes standard. I like floor being level, would only want it raised to solve a problem.

I hate to lose the nice long table that comes with the bench seats. Anyone use the bench seats to lounge on?, that is with your feet/ legs up on the cushions towards the back of the trailer and your back against the refrigerator or kitchen bulkhead? Looks like would be comfy with some nice pillows to lean against.

Should be able to look out and down out of the side window, out the back and across to the other side window, view should be awesome. Appears don't need u shaped dinette?
Old 10-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
Did some more looking and found pic of 21 with bench dinette with level floor, so probably that's the way it comes standard. I like floor being level, would only want it raised to solve a problem.

I hate to lose the nice long table that comes with the bench seats. Anyone use the bench seats to lounge on?, that is with your feet/ legs up on the cushions towards the back of the trailer and your back against the refrigerator or kitchen bulkhead? Looks like would be comfy with some nice pillows to lean against.

Should be able to look out and down out of the side window, out the back and across to the other side window, view should be awesome. Appears don't need u shaped dinette?
The floor under my dinette is raised 3". I believe this is to accommodate the fresh water tank, and is standard for all current 21's, but you should probably check with Escape if a flat floor is a requirement.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

Vermilye, thanks for good info, losing approx 19" of table length for the rear seat seems about right. Raised floor OK, if that's the way it comes. Thanks
Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Was in a new 21 last month. They had standard dinette with filler board against back wall to make it a U. They also ditched the stock cushions that sit against the wall for patio style ones from Home Depot. Worked great. All new 21''s have raised floor with no option to have flat. Works better ergonomically anyway.

Edit: just remember to have ETI do the filler board & cushion (would get two) as you cannot do it cheaper unless you can sew a cushion cover.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:

HI, we have a 5.0TA on order and went with the standard booth dinette. I agonized and went back and forth on getting the U-shaped dinette. Settled on the standard because we wanted a larger table. Also thought it could easily be converted to a u-shape if we decide in the future that is what we want -- simply add a spacer board cut from from the existing table with a cushion and make a cushion for the back (I sew so that is easy for me) and cut the existing table down to a smaller size. If I had went with the u-shaped dinette and was unhappy it would be more difficult to change. Just food for thought.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
HI, we have a 5.0TA on order and went with the standard booth dinette. I agonized and went back and forth on getting the U-shaped dinette. Settled on the standard because we wanted a larger table. Also thought it could easily be converted to a u-shape if we decide in the future that is what we want -- simply add a spacer board cut from from the existing table with a cushion and make a cushion for the back (I sew so that is easy for me) and cut the existing table down to a smaller size. If I had went with the u-shaped dinette and was unhappy it would be more difficult to change. Just food for thought.
I think deciding the dinette style is one of the hardest decisions to make. AND, I certainly see/understand the needs of a couple versus a solo traveler like me. I think you're very wise in your assessment.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Terry and I are surprised that we find the standard dinette and bench seats comfortable. I have a queen pillow on each bench back, which is essential. However we don't really "lounge." When I'm not sitting in my "area" (we each have our own side) Terry will stretch out his legs and kind of half lounge -- When I want to lay back I use the bed with lots of pillows -- that's my idea of lounging.

I don't know how we would make do with a smaller table -- we have a set of drawers underneath the front window with a tub on top for things we use all the time and we are still able to spread out our laptops and papers and maps and do whatever we do. I like the looks of the u-shape and people seem to love it but we are very comfortable with the standard and I speak as someone who just spent three months in the trailer.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The frame takes a 3-inch step up in the rear of all Escapes. In the original 21' and 5.0TA, the floor was recessed between the rails of the raised part of the frame, so it was level (flat) all the way to the back. This was standard, but is no longer available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The floor under my dinette is raised 3". I believe this is to accommodate the fresh water tank, and is standard for all current 21's, but you should probably check with Escape if a flat floor is a requirement.
The current 21' and 5.0TA are just like the other models always were: there is a 3-inch step up in the floor, as shown in the current photo of the 21' (from the Escape Trailer Industries website's 21-Foot Pictures page).

The fresh water tank is under the raised part of the floor, but in the larger models the step up was not necessary just to accommodate the tank.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
If at all possible, look at both styles of dinette before making your decision. Test them out for how you want to use your dinette area. We were fortunate that a local owner offered to show us their 21 that has the u-shape. Previous to flopping on it, I'd waffled back and forth on what to get.

Once I flopped on it (literally), I knew that's what I wanted. If I need a table, I can use the flip up counters on the end. Or a TV tray that lives in the trailer full time.

I read a lot and it meant a lot to me to be able to stretch out on the dinette and read for hours on end. I'm not the sort to use a laptop, tablet or my phone while camping. Nor do I entertain others in the trailer very often. Dirk and I have discovered we can both stretch out on the dinette at the same time. One filler board and cushion reside there permanently, with the other set stashed under the bed for when it's needed.

Others have absolutely no interest in using their dinette the same way and that's okay. It's their trailer, not mine.

So, yeah, really test them out. If you can't, set up a dinette area in your home with your couch and chairs or whatever to replicate the same space. Set out a flatten cardboard box on a stand to replicate the table. Try it as both a regular and u-shape. Add some flip up counters (more cardboard!) to the "ends" to see if you like those. See what works for you.

(Yeah, I did that at home when I was trying to decide if we wanted a table installed. After that test, we opted not to have the table installed and it's now residing in our attic.)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Casita '16 Liberty
For those who like to lounge in their dinettes, these 'bedrest pillows' with arms are the ideal
size for our little fiberglass eggs. We use them in a 16' Casita Liberty (maybe soon to be 5.0 TA), and they are fantastic. Bought extras and stored them, for when the two we use now eventually wear out.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...drest/20692204
burnauk is offline   Reply With Quote