U-shaped dinette table for dinner for 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
U-shaped dinette table for dinner for 4

We're a family of 3, with another as a possibility, it at least as a guest. We've taken u-shaped dinette off of our list due to take size. We will want to sit and eat all together.

Does anyone use their u-shaped dinette table as a dinner table for 3 or 4?

I made a mock one here, and it feels pretty tight. (The boundaries are the two free edges, the white duct, and the burlap roll )
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0209.jpg   IMAG0210.jpg  
Old 01-25-2018, 01:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
As I've commented before, a major reason we choose the 19 over the 17 was the size of the dinette table. Even with plates, salads and coffee cups for 2 we manage to use up a sizable amount of the table surface. For 4 it'd be crowded for us. Lot's of folks cut down or go with a smaller table and they seem to be happy. Wouldn't work for us.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As I've commented before, a major reason we choose the 19 over the 17 was the size of the dinette table. Even with plates, salads and coffee cups for 2 we manage to use up a sizable amount of the table surface. For 4 it'd be crowded for us. Lot's of folks cut down or go with a smaller table and they seem to be happy. Wouldn't work for us.

Ron
That was obvious to my husband when he saw the standard dinette. He didn't think we could deal with anything shorter. I had to test it and I think you're both right!

EDIT: the "R" word, as he says
Old 01-25-2018, 01:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have the U-shaped dinette in our 19' and have had four people around it a number of times. Two people in the back (on either side of the annoying table leg) and one on each side. You can't put the serving dishes on the table but, other than that, we've been fine. (During a raging storm in Yellowstone we even had four adults and two pre-teen kids around the table -- the kids were in the corners.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Not only to think about what all can go on the table, but also what will fit under the table.
Where will all feet and legs go? Especially when kids grow bigger. Corners in the u shape will give less legroom under the table.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Not only to think about what all can go on the table, but also what will fit under the table.
Where will all feet and legs go? Especially when kids grow bigger. Corners in the u shape will give less legroom under the table.
Yes, the same day we saw the dinette granite for the first and only time, someone mentioned that our dogs and their beds may need a home. With the u-shaped dinette they'd have a good bit less space.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I like the idea of the U until I saw one in person. I mean, I still like the idea of one, but no way we’d give up the table space. We have a 5 and 7 year old and the stock table is good. Smaller would not be, for us.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Which is exactly why each person should assess their own needs. Getting input from others is great; however, be sure it works for your particular family. For us, the U-shaped is great because it's usually just the two of us and our dogs. When we watch TV (which is on the wall by the bed and refrigerator), we will take the table out so that we have a nice lounging area (probably need a 'filler' board). But if I had a family of four, I might think otherwise.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We do 2 adults and two teenagers for meals at the table with our U. 90% of the time we cook and eat outside, so the table size isn’t of great importance to us. When it’s just the two of us I made a 24” round cocktail table that is more than enough for eating or laptop use.
I’d say it totally depends on ur style. If you’ll be inside most of the time you’ll probably want the big table, if not inside much then smaller may be better with the lounge capability for nighttime tv, etc. It’s definitely a personal decision based on how you will do things.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
When we watch TV (which is on the wall by the bed and refrigerator), we will take the table out so that we have a nice lounging area (probably need a 'filler' board). But if I had a family of four, I might think otherwise.
With the TV on the wall by the stove even a person on the driver's side turning 90* and lounging with their back against a cushion on the front wall can see the TV. No small table or changes necessary. Works for us.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0014_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote