Upholstery guidance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Upholstery guidance

After wading through the ETI options sheet and making most of the selections I am wanting.... I then logged onto Sailrite and just stared at the screen.... omg... where to begin!! I'm a bit challenged when it comes to fabrics - took band instead of home economics... So, I know the color is up to me - I like the lighter colors but wonder if cleaning is more of an issue than with darker colors. Any directions on fabrics - I assume I start with RV Upholstery - other than color what should I be considering...?
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Cleaning depends on what it is getting dirty from- light colors show dirt and food stains. Dark colors show dust and pet fur and lint. Prints show less of either but may be harder to fit into overall decor. But in general RV fabrics are going to be easy enough to wipe clean. How about posting some pics of your floor and counter choices and then some of the fabrics you like? Someone will be able to tell you which ones will look good and which won't, and may have experience with cleaning your choices, and may even have other suggestions.

I didn't do any of this with my trailer since I bought used, but recently did with a new home and like you, had a hard time with decisions. On that note- even if they are expensive, replacing covers on cushions is do-able without major remodeling so this is not a life or death decision. If you hate it you won't have to live with it forever.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I absolutely feel your pain! I looked for a solid five months. Kathie (Dave&Kathie) and I went to every fabric store in the Portland, OR area. We both spent hours and hours on the web. It was a struggle. In the end, I bought a fabric pattern that is totally out of character for me! I saw a similar fabric in a picture of a Casita... and I instantly knew that's what I wanted. After camping for 12 years in a Scamp that had dark brown (with a gold thread) on one side of the cushion and tan (with a dark brown thread) on the other side... I only knew I didn't want a solid fabric and it wasn't going to be any shade of brown! I found out any solid color (light or dark) shows spots and stains. I'm camping.... and don't always have the cleanest pants on. Sitting on picnic tables that are dusty will do that. I didn't want to "fuss," but enjoy the trip and not need to get out the upholstery cleaner at the end of every camping trip.

You'll figure it out, honest. Just be sure to get samples of every thing you like before you make a final choice and remember if the pattern repeats you may need to order more than the minimum.

I'd suggest waiting to pick out the Formica color until you've decided on the upholstery fabric. It's easier to match/coordinate Formica to fabric than the other way around.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Patricia, After viewing the patterns on Sailrite's website, and visiting a furniture store that uses some Sailrite fabrics to ask them their opinion of the quality of Sailrite products (all very positive responses), we ordered samples of the 5 or 6 patterns we thought we liked best. We were so glad we did that. A couple patterns that looked good on the web looked way different in real life (and not in a good way). I don't know the difference in components, but a couple pattern samples seemed to actively absorb water spilled on them (bad, in our opinion). Luckily, the one we thought we liked most on the web, still looked and felt great in real-life, and spilled water beaded up and was easy to wipe off without leaving a soggy spot (big bonus points in our opinion!). So I'd highly recommend seeing/touching real samples and doing a "spill test" on each if that's a concern for you. Just a heads-up - when we finally made our fabric decision, ETI was in the middle of expanding and didn't want our fabric just yet (just one more thing for them to have to keep track of in all the chaos). So to make sure we had the fabric and it wouldn't get scarce or discontinued, we went ahead and purchased it and had it shipped to us. We recently got the all-clear from ETI to ship it to them, and it cost us another $60. So if the fabric you ultimately decide on has to be shipped, you might want to ask ETI about shipping it directly to them now that most of their building expansion project is behind them. Best of luck in making your decision, and remember to enjoy the journey....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Choosing fabric was the most difficult of all the choices for us. We also took about 5 months to decide. Doug would like one, but it wasn't for me, or vise versa. We searched online. We went to Calico Corner fabric store. We went to Joann's. We searched online some more. We finally ended up buying a fabric that we could both live with at Joann's. They have a good selection of upholstery fabric.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Any good quality upholstery fabric will work, no different than if you put it on your furniture at home. Sunbrella products are mostly all very good, as most are designed to be used indoor or out.

We looked at tons of fabric, ordered dozens and dozens of swatches, compared them to the wood and wall materials supplied by Escape, along with the near 100 large samples of laminate we have. In the end, my wife found one in a Jo-Ann store in Tillimook Oregon that we both liked. Had to hit up two stores to get the 18 yards we needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
It is definitely one of the toughest decisions. JoAnne is a good place to look. Most stores have a large selection to peruse. Also, DecorativeFabricsDirect.com. Crypton makes some nice heavy duty fabrics. Also Great Lakes Skipper in Racine, Wisconsin. Good luck with your pursuit of the perfect fabric for you.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The dinette cushions are permanently sewn in. That means to remove food stains or more serious accidents you won't simply be sending them off to the dry cleaners, or pulling the fabric off and throwing them into the washing machine like a pillow case.

I think choosing fabric that's a solid color, especially a light one, would therefore be insane.

Think about it. How many times can you spend an afternoon at Yellowstone rolling around in the mud with a bear or rubbing your back up against wet tree bark, or stomping out campfire ashes before your cushions begin to show the wear?

Remember, after any cleaning even if it does the job there's always the chance a shadow of the stain will remain. Think blood, red wine, paint, crayons, ink markers, axle grease, etc. I say choose a fabric with a bold enough pattern that hides or masks, or distracts from any potential stain.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That is quite the interesting camping style you describe Myron. It certainly would be entertaining camping next to you.

But I agree, the dinette fabric will see more tough use than your living room couch ever would.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
I ordered a catalog from Sailrite and is wonderful. All the Sunbrella you could possibly want - 250 pages of pictures of all their fabrics. Of course, this will make it all the more confusing! It's no wonder it is the choice of boat owners, as it was for us living aboard. It really holds up well, doesn't fade, and easy to clean. It's my choice. We went with a solid color, with bright print pillows we can change anytime.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Sailrite is often used because it will hold up to condensation. There are Escape owners who have ordered it in Canada so as to save quite a bit on shipping. Maybe they will post.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
The dinette cushions are permanently sewn in. That means to remove food stains or more serious accidents you won't simply be sending them off to the dry cleaners.
Are you sure about that? Unless the stock fabric is different, our custom fabric unzips and will come off; we didn't wrap them entirely so have the stock vinyl on the bottom as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I absolutely feel your pain! I looked for a solid five months. Kathie (Dave&Kathie) and I went to every fabric store in the Portland, OR area.
After seeing Kathie's fabric I could see it would really hold up and also used Geobella from Sailrite. As there aren't nearly as many choices as Sunbrella it made it easier to make a choice. Two years later with blood, sweat & wine spilled the cushions look new and we've used the trailer a lot.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #13

Queen of spills who camps with a black double-coated dog

Thank you all SO much for all your comments and suggestions - I feel like a lost babe in the woods on this decision. I am the queen of spills and stains.... and I camp with a double coated black dog... think the lighter colors probably won't be the best choice. Went to Joanne Fabrics today and they didn't have any sunbrella in stock - just solarium. I think the idea of ordering a catalog from Sailrite is a great suggestion. I'd love to see photos of your upholstery choices - would really help to see some on the cushions.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Although ETI wants double the amount of fabric for one with a definite pattern, once wifey looked at the method of construction with vinyl/Naugahyde on the back side of the dinette cushions (useful with wet dogs), we did not supply that.

Still wound up with a LOT of leftover expensive material she used to make loose cushions.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #15

Hi Charlie,
Could you clarify this for me? The stock cushions have vinyl on the back? I will definitely have a wet dog or two on occasion. You did send material but it ended up being more than you needed to purchase?
Old 11-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
I'd love to see photos of your upholstery choices - would really help to see some on the cushions.
Here's some of ours- Geobella Biscotti

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...shed-4758.html
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #17

I love the lighter colors for opening the space up..... but I fear my "spilliness/dirty camping" and a black dog would be a disaster.... thanks so much for posting... beautiful!
Old 11-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Hi Charlie,
Could you clarify this for me? The stock cushions have vinyl on the back? I will definitely have a wet dog or two on occasion. You did send material but it ended up being more than you needed to purchase?
ETI asked for a specific yardage for a 21 and double that if we had a patterned fabric. We only sent the specific yardage and their contractor finished the cushions on the back side with a naugahide type material; you can flip them over if the dogs are soaking wet. Material was also used for the valences and we still had some left over.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We went with the stock upholstery, floor and counter tops. I suffered no angst, spent no time searching fabrics etc. and paid nothing extra for custom work.
My eight year old trailer shows where I normally sit and where my wife sits. My side could use some attention.
But, carry on, if it matters to you.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #20

That definitely is my default choice... I know I will be going with the standard floor and countertop - not quite sold yet on the brown of the standard material.