Value of 2014 17b? Considering purchase. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Lookin'
Value of 2014 17b? Considering purchase.

I'm considering the purchase of a 2014 17B

Can anyone offer any insight on what a fair price is given the time of the year? I do see the for sale forum data but the prices are all over the place and it's hard to tell what they actually sold for. If you have any known sales data it would be good to know.

The options are below and I believe it cost 24-25k USD new.

The options in the trailer are:

3 burner stainless steel stove & range hood

Additional set of LED brake lights

Additional window over sink

Air conditioner 11000 BTU

Bike Rack ready

Brake controller(not installed)

Dual 6V batteries

Dual propane package

Hitch wheel

Inverter 1500W (includes 1 outlet)

LED interior light package

2 LED exterior lights – passenger and driver’s side

2 LED captain’s reading lights

Microwave – built in

Opening window in bathroom

Storage box

Stainless steel sink and Chrome faucet

Stereo

Stove cover

Surge protector

Thermal windows & Extra insulation(not all windows available in thermal).

TV ready with 120V outlet

Spray foam insulation for under trailer

3 aluminum rims

Vibrant blue graphic
pc500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've been on the forum and read pretty much everything for the last ten years, and I can't help. I have no better idea than you. Trailer is well equipped, so what it's worth is up to you.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A new one loaded like this one would be what, $33-35k? if the owner paid and is asking for the original $25k, or whatever, it's considerably less then a new one. I don't know that time of year changes the price on Escapes, never noticed it, unlike conventional trailers.

Need to keep USD vs CAD in mind when looking at prices.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Paul,
We have a 2015, but my research started in 2014, so I have the 2014 price list. With what you have listed, a 17B would have been just over $29k Canadian dollars, + $200 export brokerage fee and $12 tire levy. Using 2014 data from XE.com on US dollar conversion, that's between $26k and $27k US dollars.

Ours is reasonably cared for, with about 15,000 miles on it, throughout the mountain west 10 states + B.C., and it looks new.
Bottom line: Used Escapes go for near-near prices (they'll last 50 years or more!), so you now have everything you need to decide.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:17 AM   #5

Thanks. I'm looking at around 19k to purchase the unit. I'd like to be slightly less (17-18ish), but I think I'll pull the trigger anyways based on what you're saying. I just want to make sure I can resell if it doesn't work out for me, I've never had a trailer before.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #6

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
17b

Perfect trailer to begin with or end with.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc500 View Post
Thanks. I'm looking at around 19k to purchase the unit. I'd like to be slightly less (17-18ish), but I think I'll pull the trigger anyways based on what you're saying. I just want to make sure I can resell if it doesn't work out for me, I've never had a trailer before.
Glad you are getting an Escape. When we first got into trailering, we got bad advice from the dealership about weight distribution systems. After getting scared badly many years ago, we went to a premium system. Now we got a new Escape 19 and bought the E2 from Fastway that Escape has as an option. It is the best one we have used - our 2018 Toyota Highlander and the Escape 19 feel like one unit. Can't generally tell we are pulling a trailer and we are ending a month long trip through the Rockies and down through New Mexico and back to Oregon. The winds have been very high and almost no feeling in the trailer. We even had a passing truck wind so high it pushed the car's mirror into the car and the trailer and car still rode smoothly. We went over the Rocky Mountain Trail Ridge Road easily. Worth every penny!
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If you can get it for what you are hoping, then you will get a great deal given that with all those options you are getting way over $30k with the options.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have found by experience and in talking with others who have sold an Escape that the typical price after four years is 85% of the original price. This removes any delivery costs and any items that your have added.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #10

I'm really way over trucked for this trailer, so I'll probably skip the wd. It doesn't have one anyways. I drive a ram 1500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
Glad you are getting an Escape. When we first got into trailering, we got bad advice from the dealership about weight distribution systems. After getting scared badly many years ago, we went to a premium system. Now we got a new Escape 19 and bought the E2 from Fastway that Escape has as an option. It is the best one we have used - our 2018 Toyota Highlander and the Escape 19 feel like one unit. Can't generally tell we are pulling a trailer and we are ending a month long trip through the Rockies and down through New Mexico and back to Oregon. The winds have been very high and almost no feeling in the trailer. We even had a passing truck wind so high it pushed the car's mirror into the car and the trailer and car still rode smoothly. We went over the Rocky Mountain Trail Ridge Road easily. Worth every penny!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I have found by experience and in talking with others who have sold an Escape that the typical price after four years is 85% of the original price. This removes any delivery costs and any items that your have added.

Thanks for the data. That would put the 25k USD at 20k for a fair price. I'm local to the factory in the Pacific Northwest.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
I'm really way over trucked for this trailer, so I'll probably skip the wd. It doesn't have one anyways. I drive a ram 1500.
Yes it's very unlikely that you would need the WD hitch with your Ram 1500, however, there are some who would feel that a WD hitch is necessary for even a Ram 3500!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 AM   #13

To close this out, I ended up purchasing this trailer and have so far camped 3 weeks in it. Thank you for the info.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:20 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Thanks for letting everyone know you bought it but what do you think now that you did and have spend time towing it and camping in it? You mention this is your first trailer, for many on this forum including me I think they buy their Escape as the last trailer they will ever buy and decided to buy an Escape because of the quality to dollar, I know that's why I did.

Stay active in the forum, lots of great advice and ideas you can get.

Enjoy your new home on wheels!

Safe and fun travels to all.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote