Visit to Chilliwack - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
BTW Our orientation appointment is the morning of May 22nd. So I guess I'll be arriving at the campsite in the afternoon of the 22nd, should be a very interesting day, I've never owned an RV let alone a fifth wheel; will be nerve racking backing into my very first site ....yikes!
Just ask for help if you need it...we have all been there.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
FYI Reace told me that if I got a 5.5 foot box I would be required to get a hitch with a slide, something you might want to inquire about because the Anderson hitch may not work?
That's interesting, since Reace's own truck - used to the pull the 5.0TA from the first one he built - has a 5.5' box and fixed hitch. A sliding hitch mounted in the standard location would work, but it's not the usual solution for clearance with a short box. Reace's hitch is just mounted further back than the standard position (the standard is to place the pin just ahead of the axle line), and using an Andersen Ultimate on standard rail placement but with the offset ball placed rearward works, too.

You might want to clarify with Reace what he meant by his comment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's interesting, since Reace's own truck - used to the pull the 5.0TA from the first one he built - has a 5.5' box and fixed hitch.
Yep! Even posted a pic with the trailer nearly at 90 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Reace-90degree-truck.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I am surprised to hear this, I wonder if that is recent thinking as I think there are many towing with the Anderson Ultimate. I sent an email to ETI regarding this. Thanks for the information. Ronn
Here is the response I received from ETI
"Interesting that you should ask this question today!

Apparently, Reace has a 5 ½ box on his truck and he uses an Anderson Ultimate. No problems but, just don’t jack knife!

Ronn
Old 12-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Ronn, it was great meeting you and Colleen at the Miss. rally where you were able to see both the classic and new 5.0TA's. I see you ordered on Oct. 5, not wasting any time. If you should decide to see more of our country after picking up, you're welcome to come stay in our driveway just before getting home in June.
Hi Adrian, it was great going to the Mississippi rally, we not only were able to see many Escapes, but also were welcomed by a great community of owners. We have a granddaughter getting married the first week of June otherwise we would have scheduled an earlier build date and then attended the Escape Rally, but we didn't want to schedule our return trip that tight. We will likely return on the US side due to Colleen needing cell coverage for phone and internet, she still is working so the return trip will be a test on working out of our "Sweet Suite". Thank you for the offer camp in your driveway, if our plans change we may take you up on it. Ronn
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We will likely return on the US side due to Colleen needing cell coverage for phone and internet, she still is working so the return trip will be a test on working out of our "Sweet Suite".
We now have cell phones and internet in Canada.

I kid, but there generally is good coverage everywhere. We just stay on the same plan when in the US too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We now have cell phones and internet in Canada.

I kid, but there generally is good coverage everywhere. We just stay on the same plan when in the US too.
I might need to check into that. Problem, when we visited Chilliwack I opted in to Verizon's offer for $5 a day, but Colleen didn't get the offer and she did use her phone a few times = $$$ very expensive. Verizon did forgive all but the $5 a day due to her not receiving the notification offer on her phone.
Anyone have ideas, what do others do?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #48

Trailer: none
Quote:
I might need to check into that. Problem, when we visited Chilliwack I opted in to Verizon's offer for $5 a day, but Colleen didn't get the offer and she did use her phone a few times = $$$ very expensive. Verizon did forgive all but the $5 a day due to her not receiving the notification offer on her phone.
That may be the same Verizon plan we used on our September trip to Saskatchewan; but I recall they would only charge you the $5 if you actually used the phone. You then had 24 hours to make as many calls as you like. After that, they would charge another $5 and the 24 hour cycle would restart.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #49

Quote:

We live in Seattle so we go to Canada a few times a year. Was just in Victoria for Thanksgiving. To them is was just "Thursday" so not all the craziness of the US. But I digress. If you are going for a few weeks, then Verizon has other plans that are more cost effective. But the $5 / Day works for short stays.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #50

Trailer: 2019 19' Escape
Hi,
Saw your note. Am planning to visit Chilliwack soon. I live in Sacramento, Cali so will be flying in to Seattle and driving to Chilliwack. I'm not familiar with the area so am wondering if the drive from Seattle to Chilliwack is doable during the winter months with a sedan rental. Are there mountain passes or roads between the two that close due to snow, etc?

TIA
efdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by efdavila View Post
Hi,
Saw your note. Am planning to visit Chilliwack soon. I live in Sacramento, Cali so will be flying in to Seattle and driving to Chilliwack. I'm not familiar with the area so am wondering if the drive from Seattle to Chilliwack is doable during the winter months with a sedan rental. Are there mountain passes or roads between the two that close due to snow, etc?

TIA
We did it in November: rain every day both ways. We used I-5 to Bellingham, then WA-539 and WA-9 to Sumas. You are near sea level along and near Puget Sound, except for passing between Mt. Chickanut and Lookout Mt., at less than 1000 ft.
WA-539/WA-9 are through farm land, then after passing into Canada at Sumas, you go east on Canada-1 through more farmland, to Chilliwack, which is on the edge of the Fraser River.
It was even a fun adventure in the rain.
The only problem is heavy, heavy traffic within 30 miles of Seattle.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #52

Thanks so much!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hi,

TIA
Unless you want to do any sightseeing in Seattle, I would suggest flying into Bellingham. We do four, five flights per year into Bellingham from Alaska. The car rental in Seattle is off airport and requires a shuttle ride, and the traffic on I5 sometimes can be stop and go. It’s a 40 minute flight from Seattle to Bellingham which has a nice, mellow airport with the car rentals on site. The only downside are the rentals are a little more expensive than Seattle. We started avoiding the Seattle to Bellingham drive three years ago. For us, it makes for a much more enjoyable trip. Scott

Fatbikes + Snow= FUN
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Hi,

TIA

We drove from Bellevue to ETI during Thanksgiving week and it's just a typical winter raining day..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #55

Thanks AK snowbiker and caddoster!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Hi,

TIA
You may want to check weather reports. We are expecting a rare snow this coming weekend in the Salish Sea area. (Puget Sound, Strait of Juan de Fuca, Strait of Georgia, collectively = The Salish Sea)
- Bremerton, WA
Old 03-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #57

Trailer: 2019 19'
Cross back to B.C. from Sumas.

I understand that I can drive without plates all through the US without much difficulty. Does anyone have experience crossing back into B.C. without plates? I have to drive all the way back to Colorado for plates. I would like to visit the Escape Owners round up.

Clark
Biketown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biketown View Post
I understand that I can drive without plates all through the US without much difficulty. Does anyone have experience crossing back into B.C. without plates? I have to drive all the way back to Colorado for plates. I would like to visit the Escape Owners round up.

Clark
As long as you have the import paperwork and Insurance on the trailer you should be fine, particularly if you cross at Sumas. The boarder folks are very used to Escape trailers coming across both directions.

Several US customers have traveled several weeks in their journeys back to their home states with no issues. But to be safe, you may want to talk to Colorado DMV regarding their requirements for licensing and inspections. Note: make sure you declare the value in US dollars when registering your trailer. ETI should provide you with those documents as part of the turn over package. You don't want to pay taxes on Canadian $$$ valuation!!!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 03-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #59

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
So with the 5.5' bed and the Anderson hitch, is there room to put a (smallish) locking toolbox in the front of the bed?
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0168.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	37447

I'll try to attach a picture of a 2015 Ram Crew Cab with a Bakflip tonneau and the Bakflip folding tool box. The tool box is only 10" deep but it's set back from the forward wall of the bed at least 4". I'm seeing no clearance issues with the tool box but the tonneau might be an issue unless I fold it up against the rear window. The tonneau is designed to do that but I wouldn't be able to see the hitch area.
jn
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #60

Trailer: 2007 17B
I would check DOT routes! There have been snow highways closures in Washington and B.C. - it has been a snowy & cold February. (but good for skiing)
Dmmsix is offline   Reply With Quote