Walmart Madness and a $98.00 HDTV - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
I have the NAXA 17" with a DVD player built in. One of the nice things is that it is a native 12vdc TV.

BUT When you are below the TV on the bed for example, even with the TV tilted down as low as it can go, images start to look ghostly, or like a negative. I think the off axis view of this monitor is poor.

Testing the now famous $98.00 32" I put it on a TV tray, hooked it up to my Roku and layed on the floor in front of it and the off axis viewing did not have the same problem.

Can't say for sure if the bigger NAXA does either, but not crazy about the 17.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Again, bigger than the build sheet says the arm can handle. Do you think Escape is that far behind the times that they are still thinking about the old style TVs? I figured I'd just give them a call when the time for manufacturing our trailer got a bit closer.
Ray, we purchased this 19" tv for our Escape 19 (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...rugs-1825.html). It fits well on the rear bulkhead between the fridge and bed. I would not want to go much bigger (if at all) with a tv as it would begin to encroach on the view from the windows or stick out past the edge of the bulkhead and interfere with passage in the hallway.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Any fear of your LIQUID Crystal Display freezing, Jim?
Seriously, temperature extremes are a challenge for home electronics. Jensen makes a line of TVs which are billed as suitable for use in vehicles, and my motorhome came with (more than) one. No problems, but maybe ordinary household stuff would stand up okay, too; they've been repeatedly frozen, and have been vibrated by 20,000 km on a truck chassis.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I looked it up on Wiki. There is no liquid in a liquid crystal display. I could go on, but that's all I remember accurately.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I looked it up on Wiki. There is no liquid in a liquid crystal display. I could go on, but that's all I remember accurately.
Thus, your smiley face...
but LCDs don't like low temperatures - even the ones in a car respond poorly until they warm up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Dave - Just received a reply from Reace regarding installing a 24" TV in our 19'. He said the weight should be fine; however, as you indicated, there would be a limited swing for the bracket. Thanks for confirming that a 19" would be best.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Dave - Just received a reply from Reace regarding installing a 24" TV in our 19'. He said the weight should be fine; however, as you indicated, there would be a limited swing for the bracket. Thanks for confirming that a 19" would be best.
I roughly measured the 32" TV horizontally and it came out to about 15" from center. The space to the Fridge corner was a little shorter than that. So swinging the TV fully perpendicular to the fridge is not possible, but it should still be viewable from the dinette even being slightly off axis. Getting by it into the bed will be impossible, but it is not possible really even with the 17 without swinging it out of the way.

From the bed it will be across and in the corner and should be easily viewable, maybe too easily being so large.

It is about 2 lbs too heavy too but as long as we take it down for transit, that should be OK.

When we get back from Hawaii I will mount the sucker and end the speculation.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: DeadEyeDan... Here's what we did with our 19" Toshiba w/dvd. It just clears the light under the cabinet and locks to the wall with a slide lock so it travels there. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1010124.jpg   P1030124.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: DeadEyeDan... Here's what we did with our 19" Toshiba w/dvd. It just clears the light under the cabinet and locks to the wall with a slide lock so it travels there. Alf
Looks good! In our case the arm is already there, so it is just a matter of accomodating the larger TV, or not. Worse comes to worse, we paid 98.00 for the TV, we can use it somewhere at home.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Any chance of getting a shot of the slide lock arrangement?
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Any chance of getting a shot of the slide lock arrangement?
Hi: padlin...Thought someone would ask!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
gatelock closed.jpg   gatelock open.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
TV placement in 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't think it would be too big for viewing, especially if you could stay 8-10' back, but you would need to keep it somewhere other than mounted, or it surely would get in the way.

Remember though, this is coming from a guy who does not have a TV in his trailer. Maybe someday when I retire.
Hi Jim - we've got a new 5.0 TA on order and are trying to figure out if we need the extendable TV arm. We don't watch much TV but think it might be nice for watching a football game (go Broncos!) or the news every now and then while traveling.
We're thinking of ordering the TV mount back in the dinette area where it would seem to be most out of the way. We're also wondering, though, if we can just do without the mount and place a small TV on the "cabinet" top that's just inside the front entry door on the 5.0. It seems like the TV could be seen from the dinette area and the TV itself could just be stored somewhere (under the bed?) while not in use (which would be most of the time). Thanks for your thoughts,
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Hi Jim - we've got a new 5.0 TA on order and are trying to figure out if we need the extendable TV arm. We don't watch much TV but think it might be nice for watching a football game (go Broncos!) or the news every now and then while traveling.
We're thinking of ordering the TV mount back in the dinette area where it would seem to be most out of the way. We're also wondering, though, if we can just do without the mount and place a small TV on the "cabinet" top that's just inside the front entry door on the 5.0. It seems like the TV could be seen from the dinette area and the TV itself could just be stored somewhere (under the bed?) while not in use (which would be most of the time). Thanks for your thoughts,
John
John.....you do realize you resurrected a three year old thread.
If it were me (and I did do it this way) I would go for the mount in the "standard" location for the 5.0TA, which is on the end of the wall facing the bed above the cabinet you reference. The arm slips out of the mount so when not in use it is not in the way. It can be watched from the dinette or swung around and watched in bed. IMHO, the dinette area is too compact and conjested to be a good location for a TV.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
FWIW, I carry the tv in it's original box on the side of the bed and set it on either the stove top or setup one of the little plastic outdoor tables in the aisle for it. If it gets to the point where I want to watch it more I'll go with an arm.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
John.....you do realize you resurrected a three year old thread.
If it were me (and I did do it this way) I would go for the mount in the "standard" location for the 5.0TA, which is on the end of the wall facing the bed above the cabinet you reference. The arm slips out of the mount so when not in use it is not in the way. It can be watched from the dinette or swung around and watched in bed. IMHO, the dinette area is too compact and conjested to be a good location for a TV.
Hi! Sorry about the old thread, but I was hoping to get some input from a kind soul like yourself. From your reply, it doesn't sound too difficult to remove the TV and arm and stow them. I guess the thing we didn't like about the standard location is having the TV (which we don't plan on using all that often) a bit in the way all the time.
Thanks again for your reply.
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I haven't read this whole thread (or related past threads), but have you considered folding and pivoting under-the-cabinet RV TV mounts like this one?: TV1-080H – Friction Pivot Ceiling Mount - Mor-ryde International TV1-080H - TV Accessories - Camping World
Just another option to think about.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #37

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
tv arm

We bought a JVC 24 in TV/DVD and it fits on swivel arm that ETI sold us . It does not interfere with walking down the aisle and you can see it from bed and dinette .We use a 400 watt inverter to run it if boon-docking .I think it was under a $100 at SAMS club 2 years ago .A 24 inch is about as big as you want it for the Escape 21 otherwise it intrudes into the aisle .
We still are having trouble getting the Jack antenna to work properly no blue lights at all . Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The one I just installed was $16.18 on ebay. It's perfect for the location I wanted to install the TV. A larger TV wouldn't work in that location as well as it wouldn't be able to be stored flat against the wall, it'd have to stay at an angle. Actually, on the 2nd gen 19, with the more vertical walls, a larger TV than mine probably could be installed.

These are the search words I used on ebay.

1 result for 252260800961 Follow this search
Items in search results
TV Wall Mount LCD LED Articulat Swing Arm Full Motion Rotating Monitor Flat NEW

$15.94

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0010_resize.JPG   IMGP0014_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote