weight distribution hitch for new 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2017, 02:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
Thanks for replies. Another reason I'm wanting to try the weight distribution hitch is my tow has class III hitch, which has 600# maximum tongue weight, wish I had class IV. With weight distribution hitch, maximum tongue weight goes to 800# with class III hitch, so I don't have to worry about having too much tongue weight, ever.

The air bags are cool, might do that later. I know of situation where guy has huge bumper pull trailer and used air bags instead of weight distribution hitch to level his trailer. Didn't work out well, he thinks needs larger truck now, but all he really needs is weight distribution hitch, IMO. Has plenty of HP to pull trailer, just not enough tongue weight capacity, which I think is what weight distribution hitches are for.

Tongue weight should not exceed 15% of loaded weight. We were in the 400's for a 19'.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 - Salish "See"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Arnie- curious as to why are you changing to the E2 vs. Pro Series or "Equalizer"(Escape should change that).
Hi Ross,

I like the built in anti-sway feature of the Fastaway E2 hitch design. The pro series uses chains to hook the trunnion bars to the A-frame whereas the E2 bars slide in a bracket that provides some anti-sway resistance. This design also means you can back up and do tight turns while everything is hooked up. To get anti-sway on the chain style hitches you need an add-on anti-sway bar attached to one side. This bar cannot be hooked up while backing.

My current Anderson hitch also has a design with built in anti-sway properties. While a properly loaded Escape tows pretty solid and should not sway on its own, I did have a situation on a 6-lane freeway where I was between two simi-trucks in the lanes on either side. The wind vortexes from these two truck were offset so one was pushing on the front of the trailer on the right while the vortex on the left was pushing the other way on the rear. The trailer started to sway so I let off the gas and it came back under control immediately. I'm not sure what would have happened if I did not have a hitch that minimized sway. Being the cheese in a big rig sandwich is uncomfortable enough without the trailer acting up too!!

arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Hi Ross,

The pro series uses chains to hook the trunnion bars to the A-frame whereas the E2 bars slide in a bracket that provides some anti-sway resistance. This design also means you can back up and do tight turns while everything is hooked up. To get anti-sway on the chain style hitches you need an add-on anti-sway bar attached to one side. This bar cannot be hooked up while backing.

The trailer started to sway so I let off the gas and it came back under control immediately.
Opps, you mean that I shouldn't have been backing up and doing tight turns? I routinely back up and do tight turns with my WDH. I couldn't get into the trailer parking spot at home without doing so.

It's my understanding that a touch of trailer brake is the best way out of a sway situation. But I've been the meat in a semi-truck sandwich many times,
hard to avoid on CA highways, and I've never had a hint of sway, there, or anywhere.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Opps, you mean that I shouldn't have been backing up and doing tight turns? I routinely back up and do tight turns with my WDH. I couldn't get into the trailer parking spot at home without doing so.

It's my understanding that a touch of trailer brake is the best way out of a sway situation. But I've been the meat in a semi-truck sandwich many times,
hard to avoid on CA highways, and I've never had a hint of sway, there, or anywhere.

Ron
I'm only going on what I have read about those add-on anti-sway bars. I don't have personal experience with one as it sounds like you do. Without the add-on bar, one can back up just fine ... per the literature.

That one time was the only time I have had a sway issue as a semi-truck sandwich. I think it was a unique situation. It was on a hill with a curve to the right. The truck to my right was in the truck lane going slow. I was in the next lane over doing about 60 MPH. Then a truck in the lane to my left overtook me doing about 70 MPH. (Truck speed limit was 60 by the way.) As he was on the outside of the curve, I could not see him in my left mirror until he was already upon me. It was just a momentary thing and as I said, the trailer came back in line right away. Normally I never get any sway either.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
It can be very nerve wracking being the small fish in a big semi-truck pond. The worst we've experienced was about a ten mile stretch of narrow two lane road west of Barstow where the I-40 becomes Hwy 58. Truck after truck- and the wind often blow's sideways at 35+ MPH. Nice to have some kind of belt & suspenders in that situation.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #16

I generally look at the map to find the Interstates or similar --- so I can go somewhere else.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I generally look at the map to find the Interstates or similar --- so I can go somewhere else.
I too prefer the back roads. The section of freeway I-5 through Everett is a necessary evil for me to catch the ferry back to my side of Puget Sound from the north. That is unless I choose miles and miles of city arterials with stop lights. No thanks!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
That's our plan too, however anytime we want to go east that route is hard to avoid. I was able to convince Susan to skip some of the I-40 west from Albuquerque and we went south to Socorro, NM where we took US 60 west to PIe Town which was a disappointment, however Juniper cg on Quemado lake was nice. Got to see the VLA as well.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VLA.jpg (108.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg hwy60.jpg (229.8 KB, 5 views)
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That's our plan too, however anytime we want to go east that route is hard to avoid. I was able to convince Susan to skip some of the I-40 west from Albuquerque and we went south to Socorro, NM where we took US 60 west to PIe Town which was a disappointment, however Juniper cg on Quemado lake was nice. Got to see the VLA as well.....
Many years ago when I was in the Albuquerque area, the traffic and construction were so bad that I would skip the whole area so did not see it for a while. Now it is one of my favorite places and I want to specifically go there. The east side though on 40 coming into Abq is really bad AFAIAC. There is possible use of a frontage road which I think I took once. I did go east on it but not sure about going west.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 PM   #20

I tow with a 2007 4x4 Tundra Crew Max cab. You don't need a WDH with the big truck. Escapes are made for medium size vehicles to tow. Those sizes will need the WDH. They do not have the weight for towing or stopping.

trlqwen is offline   Reply With Quote