weight distribution hitch for new 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
weight distribution hitch for new 19

I have 09 Tundra Double Cab, 17 Casita Spirit Deluxe, and have never used a weight distribution hitch since original purchase > 10 years ago. Hasn't really been an issue, but truck does squat a little, and at night sometimes get oncoming traffic flashing lights at me. I have enjoyed simpler setup with out a weight distribution hitch, but would like to try one.

Would have one on Casita, but best I can tell installation is not just bolt on, but requires some welding to attach the bracket to the tongue, i.e. the propane tanks are in the way. I have looked at a lot of different ones, and never found one with the right length of bar to just bolt on, always too long or too short.

As I understand it, my Casita probably has heavier tongue weight than Escape 19, but I don't know. Plus, I plan to get cargo box option, so after I get it loaded up, maybe Escape 19 will have heavier tongue weight?

On my Casita, I know tongue weight can vary a lot depending on level of black water tank in front of trailer, and potable water tank at rear of trailer. I suspect the Escape 19 will be the same. Quite a few times I have camped at sites that don't have a dump station, so have to haul black water to the next stop, or where I'm going doesn't have potable water so have to bring it with me. 1st few times this happened, I was anxious about it, but now doesn't bother me. I now often haul potable water tank full, trailer seems to ride better.

For my new Escape 19, I will probably go with the $350 hitch option. I know can buy something cheaper and take it with me, but just seems easier and worth the extra to have Escape install, at least I'm thinking they do that? With the cargo box option, I can visualize a tight fit for the weight distribution hitch bracket that goes on the frame. Just my luck I would buy something that didn't fit. All comments welcomed.
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
For my new Escape 19, I will probably go with the $350 hitch option. I know can buy something cheaper and take it with me, but just seems easier and worth the extra to have Escape install, at least I'm thinking they do that? .
I've moved my 19 very short distances with my Ford Ranger without the WDH on. The squat is noticeable. Many will comment that with the WDH the feel is more of "one unit" and I agree. I don't need anti-sway but I do like the WDH.

Yup, just get it from ETI. Dennis installed my brackets and made the initial adjustments very quickly. Many, many miles later I haven't felt the need to change anything.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And $350 CAD is $282 US currently. ( installed )
Old 09-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The $350 hitch is the Pro Series RB2 600 lb. tongue weight- https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...ies/49568.html

I use this with our Yukon and it is much easier to hook up than our previous Andersen. Had this with our Highlander too, however sold it with our 17B. We have over 20,000 miles with this hitch with no issues or noise.

You can get the model with the straight bars (trunnion) vs. the round bars, which is what I believe Escape still sells. I would ask them to be sure. For $350, it will also include the ball and be installed of course. One thing I had to do is buy another shank that gave me enough drop. Dennis at Escape has all the different sizes suitable for all the different vehicles and that is another plus.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The $350 hitch is the Pro Series RB2 600 lb. tongue weight- https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...ies/49568.html

I use this with our Yukon and it is much easier to hook up than our previous Andersen. Had this with our Highlander too, however sold it with our 17B. We have over 20,000 miles with this hitch with no issues or noise.

You can get the model with the straight bars (trunnion) vs. the round bars, which is what I believe Escape still sells. I would ask them to be sure. For $350, it will also include the ball and be installed of course. One thing I had to do is buy another shank that gave me enough drop. Dennis at Escape has all the different sizes suitable for all the different vehicles and that is another plus.
I use a very similar (or same) WDH provided by Escape when we purchased our 19'. I find it very easy to use, is a snap to hook up and unhook. Couldn't be happier with it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would purchase a Sherline tongue weight scale and measure your new 19 tongue weight, mine is 450# and it caused 1.5" squat on my Ram 1500 with the bed full of "stuff". I installed a set of air bags to bring my rear level with 20 psi. I do not have a w/d set up with my Ram/Escape 19 paring. I did with my Ram/21Escape pairing as the t/w was higher, 500# for the 21. If it makes you feel safer then by all means purchase it, but you may realize later it is not needed or more of a hassle to use. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Thanks for replies. Another reason I'm wanting to try the weight distribution hitch is my tow has class III hitch, which has 600# maximum tongue weight, wish I had class IV. With weight distribution hitch, maximum tongue weight goes to 800# with class III hitch, so I don't have to worry about having too much tongue weight, ever.

The air bags are cool, might do that later. I know of situation where guy has huge bumper pull trailer and used air bags instead of weight distribution hitch to level his trailer. Didn't work out well, he thinks needs larger truck now, but all he really needs is weight distribution hitch, IMO. Has plenty of HP to pull trailer, just not enough tongue weight capacity, which I think is what weight distribution hitches are for.
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks for replies. Another reason I'm wanting to try the weight distribution hitch is my tow has class III hitch, which has 600# maximum tongue weight, wish I had class IV. With weight distribution hitch, maximum tongue weight goes to 800# with class III hitch, so I don't have to worry about having too much tongue weight, ever.

The air bags are cool, might do that later. I know of situation where guy has huge bumper pull trailer and used air bags instead of weight distribution hitch to level his trailer. Didn't work out well, he thinks needs larger truck now, but all he really needs is weight distribution hitch, IMO. Has plenty of HP to pull trailer, just not enough tongue weight capacity, which I think is what weight distribution hitches are for.
I'm pulling my 2013 19" with a WDH and I also have Sumo overload springs on my 2016 Tacoma. The WDH really make the ride / tow more solid. I'm currently using the Anderson WDH that came with my rig, but plan to upgrade to the E2 next spring. The Anderson works well but is a pain to hook up.

Regarding the overload springs, I had Firestone Air bags on my 2014 Tacoma before I traded it in on the 2016 TRD Sport. The Sumo springs on the 2016 give me the same result without the hassle of checking the air pressure. Just install and forget it.

Note: the reason I have the overload springs is for hauling loads in the bed, not for towing. If I was only towing with the WDH, I doubt I would need the springs. But I frequently am hauling mulch, topsoil and other heavy loads near my payload capacity so the overload springs really make a difference.

My free advice (for what its worth) is to spend the $$$ for the ETI installed WDH and forgo the Airbags unless you need them for non-towing payloads.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #9

Hi Arnie- curious as to why are you changing to the E2 vs. Pro Series or "Equalizer"(Escape should change that).
Old 09-29-2017, 12:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I'm pulling my 2013 19" with a WDH and I also have Sumo overload springs on my 2016 Tacoma. The WDH really make the ride / tow more solid. I'm currently using the Anderson WDH that came with my rig, but plan to upgrade to the E2 next spring. The Anderson works well but is a pain to hook up.

Regarding the overload springs, I had Firestone Air bags on my 2014 Tacoma before I traded it in on the 2016 TRD Sport. The Sumo springs on the 2016 give me the same result without the hassle of checking the air pressure. Just install and forget it.

Note: the reason I have the overload springs is for hauling loads in the bed, not for towing. If I was only towing with the WDH, I doubt I would need the springs. But I frequently am hauling mulch, topsoil and other heavy loads near my payload capacity so the overload springs really make a difference.

My free advice (for what its worth) is to spend the $$$ for the ETI installed WDH and forgo the Airbags unless you need them for non-towing payloads.
I have the same setup towing a 2016 19 Escape with the pro series WDH and love it. I used the blue sumo springs.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

Tongue weight should not exceed 15% of loaded weight. We were in the 400's for a 19'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi Arnie- curious as to why are you changing to the E2 vs. Pro Series or "Equalizer"(Escape should change that).
Hi Ross,

I like the built in anti-sway feature of the Fastaway E2 hitch design. The pro series uses chains to hook the trunnion bars to the A-frame whereas the E2 bars slide in a bracket that provides some anti-sway resistance. This design also means you can back up and do tight turns while everything is hooked up. To get anti-sway on the chain style hitches you need an add-on anti-sway bar attached to one side. This bar cannot be hooked up while backing.

My current Anderson hitch also has a design with built in anti-sway properties. While a properly loaded Escape tows pretty solid and should not sway on its own, I did have a situation on a 6-lane freeway where I was between two simi-trucks in the lanes on either side. The wind vortexes from these two truck were offset so one was pushing on the front of the trailer on the right while the vortex on the left was pushing the other way on the rear. The trailer started to sway so I let off the gas and it came back under control immediately. I'm not sure what would have happened if I did not have a hitch that minimized sway. Being the cheese in a big rig sandwich is uncomfortable enough without the trailer acting up too!!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 09-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Hi Ross,

The pro series uses chains to hook the trunnion bars to the A-frame whereas the E2 bars slide in a bracket that provides some anti-sway resistance. This design also means you can back up and do tight turns while everything is hooked up. To get anti-sway on the chain style hitches you need an add-on anti-sway bar attached to one side. This bar cannot be hooked up while backing.

The trailer started to sway so I let off the gas and it came back under control immediately.
Opps, you mean that I shouldn't have been backing up and doing tight turns? I routinely back up and do tight turns with my WDH. I couldn't get into the trailer parking spot at home without doing so.

It's my understanding that a touch of trailer brake is the best way out of a sway situation. But I've been the meat in a semi-truck sandwich many times,
hard to avoid on CA highways, and I've never had a hint of sway, there, or anywhere.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Opps, you mean that I shouldn't have been backing up and doing tight turns? I routinely back up and do tight turns with my WDH. I couldn't get into the trailer parking spot at home without doing so.

It's my understanding that a touch of trailer brake is the best way out of a sway situation. But I've been the meat in a semi-truck sandwich many times,
hard to avoid on CA highways, and I've never had a hint of sway, there, or anywhere.

Ron
I'm only going on what I have read about those add-on anti-sway bars. I don't have personal experience with one as it sounds like you do. Without the add-on bar, one can back up just fine ... per the literature.

That one time was the only time I have had a sway issue as a semi-truck sandwich. I think it was a unique situation. It was on a hill with a curve to the right. The truck to my right was in the truck lane going slow. I was in the next lane over doing about 60 MPH. Then a truck in the lane to my left overtook me doing about 70 MPH. (Truck speed limit was 60 by the way.) As he was on the outside of the curve, I could not see him in my left mirror until he was already upon me. It was just a momentary thing and as I said, the trailer came back in line right away. Normally I never get any sway either.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 09-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #15

It can be very nerve wracking being the small fish in a big semi-truck pond. The worst we've experienced was about a ten mile stretch of narrow two lane road west of Barstow where the I-40 becomes Hwy 58. Truck after truck- and the wind often blow's sideways at 35+ MPH. Nice to have some kind of belt & suspenders in that situation.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #16

I generally look at the map to find the Interstates or similar --- so I can go somewhere else.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I generally look at the map to find the Interstates or similar --- so I can go somewhere else.
I too prefer the back roads. The section of freeway I-5 through Everett is a necessary evil for me to catch the ferry back to my side of Puget Sound from the north. That is unless I choose miles and miles of city arterials with stop lights. No thanks!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 09-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #18

That's our plan too, however anytime we want to go east that route is hard to avoid. I was able to convince Susan to skip some of the I-40 west from Albuquerque and we went south to Socorro, NM where we took US 60 west to PIe Town which was a disappointment, however Juniper cg on Quemado lake was nice. Got to see the VLA as well.....
Attached Thumbnails
VLA.jpg   hwy60.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
That's our plan too, however anytime we want to go east that route is hard to avoid. I was able to convince Susan to skip some of the I-40 west from Albuquerque and we went south to Socorro, NM where we took US 60 west to PIe Town which was a disappointment, however Juniper cg on Quemado lake was nice. Got to see the VLA as well.....
Many years ago when I was in the Albuquerque area, the traffic and construction were so bad that I would skip the whole area so did not see it for a while. Now it is one of my favorite places and I want to specifically go there. The east side though on 40 coming into Abq is really bad AFAIAC. There is possible use of a frontage road which I think I took once. I did go east on it but not sure about going west.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:51 PM   #20

I tow with a 2007 4x4 Tundra Crew Max cab. You don't need a WDH with the big truck. Escapes are made for medium size vehicles to tow. Those sizes will need the WDH. They do not have the weight for towing or stopping.
trlqwen is offline   Reply With Quote