Weight distribution hitch on a 17A? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
Weight distribution hitch on a 17A?

How many folks use a weight distribution hitch on 17's? Good option for the factory install, or see how it goes and get it aftermarket if needed? Any real advantage either in price or otherwise to have Escape do it? 2004 4runner V6 is the vehicle. We will probably carry more weight than most with skis gear, bikes, etc...

Build sheet is due tomorrow - promise to stop bothering y'all soon!

Thanks,

Dave
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have the Pro Series that ETI sells and installs.
My RAV4 has a 350 tongue weight limit and the rear would drop 2" with the 17B trailer on the hitch. It now rides level and much more comfortably and secure.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH1.jpg  
Old 08-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Dave:
You may wish to check your owner's manual for your 4Runner. We have a 2008 4Runner V6, and our manual specifically indicates that WDH are not to be used with the factory installed hitch on the V6. This apparently is due to the way that the factory hitch on the V6 attaches to the frame. Yes, I'm aware that it is possible to replace the factory hitch with an after-market one that will allow using a WDH, and that folks have done that. We tow our 2015 17B without a WDH with our 4Runner and have not had any issues with the factory WCH (weight carrying hitch--Toyota's nomenclature. Your 2004 4Runner may not have this restriction. Good luck with your new trailer--we love ours!
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Dave:
You may wish to check your owner's manual for your 4Runner. We have a 2008 4Runner V6, and our manual specifically indicates that WDH are not to be used with the factory installed hitch on the V6. This apparently is due to the way that the factory hitch on the V6 attaches to the frame. Yes, I'm aware that it is possible to replace the factory hitch with an after-market one that will allow using a WDH, and that folks have done that. We tow our 2015 17B without a WDH with our 4Runner and have not had any issues with the factory WCH (weight carrying hitch--Toyota's nomenclature. Your 2004 4Runner may not have this restriction. Good luck with your new trailer--we love ours!
Dave
Thanks Dave - very good to know, I'll check it out for sure!
Old 08-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

See if your manual says "do not use" a WDH or if it says "not recommended", like my 2008 RAV4 manual.
The dealer installed an after-market class III hitch receiver for WDH on my RAV4 prior to me driving it off the lot. The factory hitch receiver was only class II.
I pursued the issue with Toyota and over the phone, I was told that Toyota doesn't have a relationship with a class III and that is the reason they "don't recommend" one.
I asked the dealer to check the hitch receiver last year during a service and they reported all was well eight years after it was installed.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i used one for my 17 and pulled with a highlander i could feel the difference much more stable. didn't use it for short trips
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Dave out of curiosity I looked up the 2008 4 Runner Owners manual here

Strangely it talks about weight capacities for using a WDH and then also has a statement to not use it. Sort of like my Highlander manual that says to use a WDH when towing over 5000# - but the tow limit of it is 5000#. Sometimes I wonder if Toyota has any proof readers.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #8

So, what I read here is that Toyota says not to use a WDH in a hitch receiver that isn't rated for WDH.
Which is why I got an after-market hitch receiver, class III for WDH. Toyota's factory hitch was only class II and not rated for WDH.

I think the problem is that people mix up the terms 'hitch' and 'receiver'. So, what the warning says is not to install a WDH in a non-WDH receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 4.20.25 PM.png  
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Dave,
We tow our 17A with a Honda Pilot, and No WDH. We watch the weight distribution, so that we don't have a lot of weighty stuff in the front storage, and we put other heavy stuff at or near the axle. Since the axle is 12 feet back from the hitch, the 17 is extremely stable, and not subject to sway. So, We have a bike rack on the back along with a second battery case (with other stuff in it, not a 2nd battery). I have tried to induce swaying, but the trailer just stays behind without a wiggle. Still no sway.
If I were to use a WDH, it would be to transfer more weight to the front axle on my front-wheel drive tow, and bring the headlights down a bit. I'm at about 375 lbs. on the tongue, so that lowers the back of the Pilot about 2".
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I talked to Anderson after switching from a Rav4 to Chevy Colorado about using the Anderson ball without the rest of the wd components. They said it was fine and the ball will function as a regular ball hitch when used in this fashion. We will do a little research on our next trip in a few weeks, driving one way with the wd hitch and return without
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape
The 04 4Runner v6 came with a hitch receiver bolted to the rear frame. The v8 came with a hitch receiver that has arms extending out to the side rails of the frame. The v8 hitch takes a wdh, the v6 is not recommended.

The good news is that the frames are identical and already drilled for the v8 hitch so a swap to the v8 hitch is easy. Last I looked etrailer.com had the hitches for $150US.

That said, using a wdh on the 4Runner to tow a 17 is a matter of preference, not necessity. Any way you go you will do fine.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #12

Thanks everyone - sounds like it might not be a bad idea to upgrade to a class 3 receiver and then I will have options to use a WDH if needed. I can see needing to put some heavier things in the back of the rig, so a little worried about the sag.... would beefing up the rear suspension be another way to deal with this??

Thanks-
Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Dave:
I'm fairly sure that the factory installed hitch (receiver) that you have is a class three. If you want to use a WDH, you may need to upgrade to a hitch that attaches to your frame at more points, but your current hitch is already a class three.

As others have mentioned, the use of a WDH with your 4Runner and an Escape 17 is a matter of what you like rather than necessity. However, you're correct that upgrading your receiver would give you more options.

Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape
Air bags are good if sag/leveling is the only issue. Air Lift 1000 bags are good, about $100US. I have them on a 4Runner.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I talked to Anderson after switching from a Rav4 to Chevy Colorado about using the Anderson ball without the rest of the wd components. They said it was fine and the ball will function as a regular ball hitch when used in this fashion. We will do a little research on our next trip in a few weeks, driving one way with the wd hitch and return without
We pull a 17B with a 2016 Canyon and although we don't need a WDH it's a nicer ride with one.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I think that's a great idea, but the hitch head will likely need to be about one position higher on the shank without the WD to keep the trailer level... take a wrench to fit the nuts on the two bolts (apparently 1-1/8"... not the same as the chain tensioning nuts).

If this ball mount without WD works well, a normal ball mount should tow even a little bit better, because it can be shorter (if that doesn't cause tailgate clearance issues).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

If this ball mount without WD works well, a normal ball mount should tow even a little bit better, because it can be shorter (if that doesn't cause tailgate clearance issues).
That's the second advantage to a WDH, I can open my tail gate. The normal ball mount is too short.