What add ons do you find most valuable and which can you do without? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
What add ons do you find most valuable and which can you do without?

A good point Brian, but of course, except for maybe the bustling business of Casita, most Texas travel trailer owners (stickies) are way over the 4500 lb GVWR to begin with, and the safety inspection is a given. It's only at issue here because we're so much lighter.

They even tried to require us to have one when we registered our 19, until I produced a printed copy of their own rules. I guess they don't see many RVs that are under the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Whatever, Brian. My comment was to distinguish between the GVWR and our 21's actual weight. The regulation is GVWR, and the figure on our Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin is over 4500 lbs; so, my trailer will need a safety inspection every time the license is renewed - at least as long as it's registered in Texas - despite it being quite a bit lighter than the GVWR.
Hey, you could be in NY where all trailers must be inspected every year. It is only $6.00 unless the trailer is over 18,000 lbs when it goes to $10.00. They have to pull a wheel if the trailer has brakes, otherwise is is a visual check of lights & the hitch that takes about 2 minutes.

Our yearly registration fee is $5.39 per 500 lbs.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Same here in Pennsylvania, all vehicles as well as trailers >3500 lb have to be inspected yearly.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am always amazed at the bureaucratic loopholes that many of you in the US have to jump through.

I thank the lucky stars that in Alberta trailer registration is a one time cost, with no inspections required at all. This is not to say that you can own an unsafe vehicle, as they can and do stop vehicles for safety checks, something I think they should do more often.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Hey, you could be in NY where all trailers must be inspected every year. It is only $6.00 unless the trailer is over 18,000 lbs when it goes to $10.00. They have to pull a wheel if the trailer has brakes, otherwise is is a visual check of lights & the hitch that takes about 2 minutes.

Our yearly registration fee is $5.39 per 500 lbs.
Our California yearly registration is the killer here . Still over 200. year . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:36 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Our California yearly registration is the killer here . Still over 200. year . Pat

Ouch that's one heck of a camping tax.

Doug
Old 04-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
What add ons do you find most valuable and which can you do without?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am always amazed at the bureaucratic loopholes that many of you in the US have to jump through.

I thank the lucky stars that in Alberta trailer registration is a one time cost, with no inspections required at all. This is not to say that you can own an unsafe vehicle, as they can and do stop vehicles for safety checks, something I think they should do more often.

I'm amazed too Jim. It's part of a larger problem here, in that many of the laws related to transportation have little to do with actually making it safer, and far more to do with revenue generation.

A random safety check would do far more to insure public safety than any mandated periodic inspection and fee. Sadly, it really isn't done here, except perhaps with the exception of the big rigs.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Ouch that's one heck of a camping tax.

Doug
I know . It is very expensive to live in California . My truck tags also cost more then when I bought it too . They tax everything they can . Pat
Old 04-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I know . It is very expensive to live in California . My truck tags also cost more then when I bought it too . They tax everything they can . Pat
Hi: Patandlinda... They'd probably tax the smell of your campfire... if they could. Caulifornia needs the money!!!
In Ontario trailer plate fee's are a one time charge. Truck stickers are $94.00 a year. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Patandlinda... They'd probably tax the smell of your campfire... if they could. Caulifornia needs the money!!!
In Ontario trailer plate fee's are a one time charge. Truck stickers are $94.00 a year. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
You are lucky . If my home wasn't here I would leave . My kids want me in Washington State and who knows what's in the cards . Pat
Old 04-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We find that the states with no or low income taxes put higher taxes on items such as real estate and vehicle registration, etc. I just found out Florida taxes private party vehicle sales which is done almost nowhere, but FL has no state income tax. Pay me one way or pay me another.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We find that the states with no or low income taxes put higher taxes on items such as real estate and vehicle registration, etc. I just found out Florida taxes private party vehicle sales which is done almost nowhere, but FL has no state income tax. Pay me one way or pay me another.
Hey Gregg California already does that too . I think it is called taxation on taxation . You pay taxes on say your new vehicle , say that vehicle changes hands 10 times in it's life . Each time the sale even private party sales pay sales tax again and again . What are you going to do ? Pat
Old 04-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We all can move up north to Canada......
Old 04-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Believe Jim , I have thought about it maybe going to my Father's birthplace , Ottawa , Canada . Canada is in my blood . Pat
Old 04-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
In British Columbia you pay 5% Federal and 7% Provincial sales taxes on a new vehicle. If the vehicle exceeds $55k the 7% Provincial tax portion increases incrementally from the base 7% to a max of 10% i.e. luxury tax. They later collect 12% Provincial tax each time the ownership changes.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Friend of mine gave me his boat and trailer and we had to transfer the trailer registration. We wrote it down as a gift ( no tax ), which it was, but I commented in front of the agent that I'd owe my buddy a turkey dinner. The agent scolded me and asked again if it was a gift. Quite strict on the rules.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We pay our share of taxes in other ways, from income tax to luxury taxes.
Quote:
Hey Gregg California already does that too . I think it is called taxation on taxation . You pay taxes on say your new vehicle , say that vehicle changes hands 10 times in it's life . Each time the sale even private party sales pay sales tax again and again . What are you going to do ? Pat
Wow, that is just wrong. The only time that happens here is when you buy used from a dealer. Homes too only have a small tax when a new build, not when it is a private deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
In British Columbia you pay 5% Federal and 7% Provincial sales taxes on a new vehicle. If the vehicle exceeds $55k the 7% Provincial tax portion increases incrementally from the base 7% to a max of 10% i.e. luxury tax. They later collect 12% Provincial tax each time the ownership changes.
Ouch! I love BC and know many, many people that live there, but yikes, that is a lot of tax to pay.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote