What add ons do you find most valuable and which can you do without? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
What add ons do you find most valuable and which can you do without?

Hi, I am new from Texas, and just starting my build sheet and would like some advice. As far as all the add ons, what items do you find to be the most valuable and useful and which things can most people do without or add on later? We are not very good handymen by the way so most things we would have someone else do for us.

What about add ons not mentioned like a receiver on the back to add a bike carrier, do they do that?

Do many of you use a generator and how do you carry those? Is it possible to carry it in that big add on box in the front?

I had an outside shower on our Casita and we rarely use it. Thinking we could do without it. Guess we could have used it for washing dishes when we cooked over a fire though.
My husband is trying to talk me out of the oven... but I think I want it.
For those who have the u shaped booth, do you like it?

Are there extra outlets or lights you find particularly useful?

When is the best time to pay for the Escape?

So many questions, it is embarassing.
Nancy, The Quilt Lady
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Hi, I am new from Texas, and just starting my build sheet and would like some advice. As far as all the add ons, what items do you find to be the most valuable and useful and which things can most people do without or add on later? We are not very good handymen by the way so most things we would have someone else do for us.

What about add ons not mentioned like a receiver on the back to add a bike carrier, do they do that?

Do many of you use a generator and how do you carry those? Is it possible to carry it in that big add on box in the front?

I had an outside shower on our Casita and we rarely use it. Thinking we could do without it. Guess we could have used it for washing dishes when we cooked over a fire though.
My husband is trying to talk me out of the oven... but I think I want it.
For those who have the u shaped booth, do you like it?

Are there extra outlets or lights you find particularly useful?

When is the best time to pay for the Escape?

So many questions, it is embarassing.
Nancy, The Quilt Lady
My opinions on these things will differ from others, only you can decide what is best for you guys.

Most anything can be done later, but often it is more of an effort.

The 2" receiver on the rear is standard now.

The outside shower is popular for varying reasons. We almost never used ours on the back of the trailer in over 6 years, but I plan to put on on the front as rearward as possible for cooking and cleanup.

We had an oven in a previous trailer and found it a waste of space. We just do our baking in the BBQ, and now have more storage.

Other than a couple captain's lights to read by, I see no reason for extra. Add plugs for charging devices as you see fit.

I don't think there is a best time to pay, unless you can accurately forecast the exchange rate. The experts can't seem to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Hi Quilting Lady,

It would be hard to beat the number of questions I asked when I first got on the Forum!!!
Keep asking, the members here are awesome and always happy to help.

After six months on the road with my 17B . . .

- Storage box: Don't know what I would have done without it!
- Foot flush: Love having it.
- Add'l 12 Volt by dinette seat. Use it every day!
- Opening window in bathroom: glad to have it!
- Power jack: love it!
- Surge protector: A definite yes for peace of mind
- I don't remember which table extension was standard but it would be challenging not to have one next to the sink.
- Additional set LED horizontal brake lights: another add on I like for peace of mind in rain and fog
- Stainless sink and faucet: like the look!
- Custom fabric and countertops: very happy with my choices (red fabric and black countertops)

And then . . .

- Exterior shower: have not used once yet
- High life axle: have not had need for
- Hitch wheel: have never used
- Captain reading lamp at end of bed: Might be nice for two people to direct the light if one is sleeping but as a single person, I find the LED lights to be fine for reading in bed.
- Got the equalizer hitch. Have been told it's overkill for my 17. Again, don't know what it's like to drive without it but do know the trailer tracks beautifully and I feel very secure in wind, hills, turns . . .

Also . . .

- I brought a 5 hook Umbra set and ETI cut into two pieces, one by the side of my bed and one on wall next to dinette seat. LOVE THEM! Wish I had brought two 5 hook sets. None of the suction items in the bathroom or the stick-on hooks on the walls stay attached.
- I have the spray foam insulation plus the thermal windows and extra insulation. Since I have not experience the heat and cold without these extras, am unable to tell what the difference would be.

Congratulations on your trailer. Good luck with your build sheet--I couldn't have done mine without the input from the Forum!

Signed,
Quilter-wannabe!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Thank you for your thorough response. It is very helpful! I will definately look into the umbra hooks. I have found one suction cup hooks from Bed Bath and Beyond that are amazing. They have a large suction cup and a large attractive nickel plated knob that screws the suction cup tight. You can grab and shake it hard and it won't come off until you unscrew it. I have used them on the fiberglass walls in the Casita trailer
Old 04-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Nancy, here are some links that might help you as well.

Generator: mine is a "cube" style and will not fit in the ETI storage box by inches. Your skinny generator might. As for usefulness, I have yet to really use mine for anything besides making sure it still runs, as between my tow vehicle and the current bushes campsites have, I have found I don't need it. It will greatly depend on your intended camping routine.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
My must haves are:
-front storage box
-solar and dual 6 v batteries
-opening kitchen window
-extra insulation and thermal windows
-stainless sink

My second priority are:
-surge protector
-air conditioner
-outside shower

My third priority are:
-oven
-inverter with at least one plug in the kitchen area
-electric and gas hot water tank
-removable power cord
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Sitting here on the Oregon coast (in the rain ... surprise!), reading the forum so I thought I'd add my two cents.

Very happy with the U-shaped dinette; however, to make more room in our 19' (with the two dogs, in the rain), we took down the table to make a 'lounge' area. Thinking of how we're going to restructure the table area so we can do this more often (thanks to Doug and Sooz for putting this idea in our heads).

Solar - extremely happy we have it, especially when electric hookups are in short supply.

A/C - Haven't used it yet but anticipate we will this summer while visiting N. Dakota.

Digital thermostat (may be standard now).

Stainless steel sink. Love it ... even more so with the high-arc faucet we added.

Larger refrigerator. Happy we have it on this and other longer trips.

Cable ready. Added it after build and am loving it here in the rain ... with the campground's Dish.

Front storage box. Oh yes, especially when we have to stow all these wet chocks and hoses ... in the rain.

Dual hot water heater. Since we only turn it on when needed, could have done without the electric option.

Hope this helps. (Did I mention it's raining ....)
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Have but really don't need. (5.0TA)
3 burners, 2 would be fine.
2 way hot water heater
Prewire for stereo and TV and the Jack antenna
EZ lube axles

Best options
Outside passenger side hatch
Solar w/6 volt batteries (with solar I have yet to need the genereator)
Double Sink
microwave

No outside shower, never used it on the last trailer. Same with the oven.

Don't know what's standard on the 19, but we use a USB 12v outlet at the table where we sit in the evenings and by the door where we leave the phones plugged in. I also have a 12v lighter style outlet outside next to the 120vac outlet. Comes in handy once in a while.

I paid for the trailer when we ordered it. Didn't really concern myself with trying to guess where the dollar was headed next. Think I paid all but about $2k, which I paid when the trailer was finished. Personal check for the 1st part, CC for the remainder.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Thank you for your thorough response. It is very helpful! I will definately look into the umbra hooks. I have found one suction cup hooks from Bed Bath and Beyond that are amazing. They have a large suction cup and a large attractive nickel plated knob that screws the suction cup tight. You can grab and shake it hard and it won't come off until you unscrew it. I have used them on the fiberglass walls in the Casita trailer
Ikea carries a whole line of Stugvik products that use the screw assist vacuum design - including towel bars that adjust in length!

STUGVIK Basket with suction cup - IKEA

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 2015 17B
I'll just add on the time of payment because I was penalized in Texas for registering it late. Pay the trailer when you are about to take/possess it. I paid the trailer at the end of June 2015 while I was still assigned in Japan but I towed it from the Escape factory in Canada at the end of August 2015 and then went to TX DMV right away. TX DMV thought I bought it in June but merely registering it in August so I was given late penalties when I was registering the trailer and paying its state tax. By the way, you can get a temporary paper trailer tag from TX DMV if you are towing your trailer from Canada.
Kryg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryg330 View Post
I'll just add on the time of payment because I was penalized in Texas for registering it late. Pay the trailer when you are about to take/possess it. I paid the trailer at the end of June 2015 while I was still assigned in Japan but I towed it from the Escape factory in Canada at the end of August 2015 and then went to TX DMV right away. TX DMV thought I bought it in June but merely registering it in August so I was given late penalties when I was registering the trailer and paying its state tax. By the way, you can get a temporary paper trailer tag from TX DMV if you are towing your trailer from Canada.
Cool Ry Cooder song: The Girls From Texas- Love that DMV or leave it alone
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Ikea carries a whole line of Stugvik products that use the screw assist vacuum design - including towel bars that adjust in length!

STUGVIK Basket with suction cup - IKEA
Thanks for the tip. These look promising for the bathroom/shower in our 5.0TA that we're picking up next week.
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Individual Experiences May Vary

We have a 5.0TA, and have done several trips in it. All boondocking.

We like these options, that we chose:
Opening bathroom window
Outside shower
Spray insulation - protects the bottom of the trailer's gelcoat- we drive a a fair bit on gravel roads
Kitchen counter 'flip-up' extension wing

Our model has the small counter on the right hand inside of the door- we call it our desk. This feature is great- papers, maps, books, keys. I think I've seen a picture of a 5.0TA that has that replaced with a full length closet. I'd rather have the counter desk.

We did get low pressure propane gas hose with quick disconnect- We haven't used it yet.
Also bought the extra captain's reading light's. Had them installed over the dining table (in the corners). They haven't been used.

We live on the wet coast of BC, where the temperatures are never too extreme. To this point we haven't gone south. So whether we'll need A/C in the future- don't know.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Our model has the small counter on the right hand inside of the door- we call it our desk. This feature is great- papers, maps, books, keys. I think I've seen a picture of a 5.0TA that has that replaced with a full length closet. I'd rather have the counter desk. .
I think the full height cabinet was a customer requested modification by Escape. I too would prefer the counter for the very same reasons you stated.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
You have 30 days to register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryg330 View Post
When importing a trailer to Texas, you have 30 days to register it. The countdown doesn't begin until you bring it across the state line.

Of course, the caveat to what I just said is the folks at your county tax office have to know/understand that rule. Importing a trailer that's never been titled is slightly different than if you're buying one made in the U.S. You'll get most of the paperwork you need from ETI, but there are a couple of Texas hoops to jump through, too (safety inspection, if you're getting a 21 or 5.0TA, and VIN verification).

Okay, back to the more fun topic of options options options!!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #16

Thanks! now back to advertising my Casita for sale.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Sorry to go back to the Texas DMV info. I read on the DMV website that in Texas the safety inspections are required for trailers with a GVWR over 4500 lbs. With the 21' listed at 4500 lbs, it would be just under the limit. From that it looks like only the 5.0TA would need the safety inspection in Texas. It clearly says "over" 4500 lbs.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
What add ons do you find most valuable and which can you do without?

You are correct John. Having said that, it depends on who you get at the DMV. Sometimes they let it slide, sometimes not. The inconsistency of how they do it is probably the thing that makes it either a hassle, or a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Kryg330,
I'm sure you have paperwork when it crossed the border to show is was not late, perhaps you can file a claim for refund, that can be done with just about any state department of revenue.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You are correct John. Having said that, it depends on who you get at the DMV. Sometimes they let it slide, sometimes not. The inconsistency of how they do it is probably the thing that makes it either a hassle, or a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. My local DMV required the safety inspection for our 19. I visited the county clerk BEFORE going to Chilliwack and they were very helpful. I talked to the most experienced clerk in the office and even she had to call the state office to get the details on the proper way to register an imported trailer. She was extremely helpful and suggested when we return I come directly to her. She even gave me her direct phone and email if I had any questions. Great service! When I returned to register it was a snap since both she and I knew exactly what was needed.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote