What did I forget - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #41

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I respect your approach to protecting your trailer and to each his own, but isn’t the bright orange a little obtrusive for the average campground? I understand the theory that you might want a would-be vandal to see it and move on, but it could have the opposite effect too. They might say “what is in that trailer that is so valuable it needs that bulky, commercial wheel lock? Let me take a closer look.” The first thing I would do to that thing is paint it hunter green.
It also serves the purpose of reminding folks that it's on the trailer so they do not go clunk rip tear clunk clunk out of the campground.

I remember once we were at Snook Haven and this guy on a motorcycle start to pull forwards and suddenly the bike fell over. He had a disk brake lock and I guess he forgot it was on it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Reminds me when we had the 81 Scamp 13. While we restored it, still looked like a nice but 30 year old tiny trailer. We use to joke that if a thief hit the campground, our trailer would probably be overlooked among the shiny big beautiful rigs.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #43

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdusty View Post
I have never owned or used a trailer in the past so I have a lot to learn.
My recommendation is to read the Escape Owner’s Manual from cover to cover. Also watch the orientation video if you haven’t already (even though it is based on a Classic 19 most of the information still applies...maybe just skip the awning setup/breakdown). This will make your orientation and early camping less overwhelming as you will be more familiar with the systems.

http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...nersManual.pdf

Also the Casita Owner’s Bible has a lot of great information. Even though it is based around the Casita brand it has useful information that is applicable to most any fiberglass trailer.

A-Z Casita Owner's Guide
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
It also serves the purpose of reminding folks that it's on the trailer so they do not go clunk rip tear clunk clunk out of the campground.

I remember once we were at Snook Haven and this guy on a motorcycle start to pull forwards and suddenly the bike fell over. He had a disk brake lock and I guess he forgot it was on it.
Yes, the reason that many trailer items are made in bright colors is that the owners have had a habit of leaving without them. Or trying to leave in this case. The only Escape that I can think of that was stolen was from a driveway and it was thought to have been put on a flatbed truck. If we see one on a flatbed with a boot and cats, we will know where to call.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #45

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
I respect your approach to protecting your trailer and to each his own, but isn’t the bright orange a little obtrusive for the average campground? I understand the theory that you might want a would-be vandal to see it and move on, but it could have the opposite effect too. They might say “what is in that trailer that is so valuable it needs that bulky, commercial wheel lock? Let me take a closer look.” The first thing I would do to that thing is paint it hunter green.
No, no, no - wrong idea on coloring! What you're trying to come up with, but failed, is the idea of hiding the boot clamp so it doesn't stand out. Right? Right! Which means you would need different peel-on decals/stickers that are multi-colored. Part of it will look like the wheel and tire, while the rest will look like gravel. Or one with dirt. Or asphalt. All depending on where you're parking.

And then a sticker on your dashboard reminding you to take it off before you drive off, since you may not see it when you get ready to leave.

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All of these should fit inside your front storage box.
And a small-ish size padlock for your front storage box to keep all those goodies safe. (1/4 inch diameter hasp, maximum).

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Can always put wheel cover over wheel clamp . Also can install a alarm inside trailer if someone try's to get inside . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:35 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those wheel boots remind me of all the unpaid parking stickers I have in my glove box, eeek!!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #49

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I see RV Driving school has a location in the Seattle area... is that the one you used? I would love to get some instruction when I pick up my new 19 in May as I have never towed before and do have some anxiety about it ;-) Something near ETI would be good as well so should check that out as well. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I took mine through RV Driving School. I don't know if they offer lessons in Canada as their map location thingie wasn't working for me a few minutes ago.

https://www.rvschool.com/

There is a place next to ETI, but I decided not to go with them as I was going to get more "bang for the buck" through the Driving School. Well worth it!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
8) Go camping and make memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I suggest an adjustable ball mount so it can be raised or lowered to the exact needed height. I also think a set of those plastic blocks and have Escape install the sand pads on the stabilizers, put the plastic block under them when setting up. Trailer Aid is a plastic ramp which allows you to change the flat tire on your tandem set up. A lug wrench to tighten the wheel lugs after delivery is needed and finally some plastic ramps to level your unit side to side. All of these should fit inside your front storage box.
For the reasons Brian listed, I too would not recommend an adjustable ball mount. I have 3 different ball mounts in my truck at all time, two 2 5/16 for each of my work trailers with different height hitches, and a 2" one for using with trailers with that hitch size (like the garbage trailer out at our land).

Lynx blocks and sand pads are both great things. As is a torque wrench and 13/16 socket. Levelers too.

I have and like using the Trailer Aid ramp for brakes and bearings, but would never bother to bring one along. Do you carry yours with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
On top of all the good technical advise you are receiving on this thread I'd advise that you take some towing lessons at a reputable source. It seems to me that this would be extremely beneficial if you are towing your brand new treasure home over the Coq and the Rockies on your way back to Calgary, Alberta.

In my view, someone completely new to towing would benefit from towing lessons. I'd advice that you run some good hills and figure out how to actually use the brake controller before you tackle to Coquihalla. You will have a far more relaxed trip.

A few years ago, my wife and I had never towed before picking up our new Escape and greatly appreciated our towing lessons.

Larry
Good advice for a towing newbie, Larry. Just the confidence alone will make you less stressed and towing safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Presumably you will have them wire power to the "battery charge" pin of the connector as well, not just the lights and the brake control wire.
My 2009 Pilot came with it prewired. All Pilots (and I believe Ridgelines) come standard with the hitch and connections. I just added the plug and play brake controller. Oh, and was confused as to why the brake controller did not work, until a bit of investigating found that Honda was too cheap to put a fuse in the block for it.
Quote:
So you need additional height, but you may not want an adjustable ball mount:
  • they are more expensive than a fixed mount
  • they are heavier than a fixed mount
  • they usually protrude further rearward than a fixed mount, which causes more load transfer from the tug's front axle to it's rear, and decreases towing stability
You can get two mounts covering the two most likely needed heights, and return the one you don't need. You can figure out the right height when you pick up the trailer, and just buy the right one locally (Escape usually works with Trademasters, but there are lots of places to buy ball mounts).
As mentioned above, I completely agree with this assessment. I had and adjustable ball mount once.... never again, and I have owned many dozen over time.
Quote:
While I get the reason for the bright colour, I too find this obtrusive. I hated that my Lynx blocks were this bright orange. The sun must have heard me and helped me out by fading them to a dull orange now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #51

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have an adjustable ball mount, and without it, I doubt our liftgate would clear. I do not know that we could get a plain ball mount that would allow the liftgate to open. Maybe they have them somewhere.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I *always* put on my Nemesis boot clamp while camping and at home. If it's not hitched to the truck, it has the clamp on, as I assume I'll be out and about in the truck and will be leaving the trailer unattended. Yes, not everyone will do that, but we do. The time it takes to install is time well worth it. That, and the cat graphics on the trailer, get the most comments from other campers. And I get to hear stories about how either a trailer they owned or by someone else got stolen and how the boot clamp could have prevented that from happening. Stolen from campgrounds, home and storage units.
Absolutely agree. An ounce of prevention will, in most cases, discourage thieves who will then seek easier targets.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #53

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
March isn't exactly winter in Chilliwack.
By my standards, it's never really winter in the lower Fraser valley.

... but March is usually winter in Calgary, and in the mountains between Chilliwack and Calgary. In this case, picking it up winterized will work out well, but the first camping trip will be a shakedown exercise, involving de-winterizing and trying out everything about the plumbing. Camping in the driveway for one night might be a good plan.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
They do not charge extra up there for the initial fill of a tank?
Most tanks are factory-purged now, so there is nothing special about the initial fill - so I didn't even consider that. It's probably a good thing that they're factory-purged - I doubt the average kid working at a gas station and "trained and certified" to handle propane has any idea how to purge a tank...
Old 01-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My 2009 Pilot came with it prewired. All Pilots (and I believe Ridgelines) come standard with the hitch and connections. I just added the plug and play brake controller.
Good catch - I saw the remark about installation and was thinking of actual wiring, but of course the list did refer to a harness. I don't think I would pay a dealer to plug in a harness into a pre-wired vehicle, but if they'll do it as a courtesy, sure.

If the dealership is going to do it, they should confirm operation of all functions (lights, brakes, charging).
Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We have an adjustable ball mount, and without it, I doubt our liftgate would clear. I do not know that we could get a plain ball mount that would allow the liftgate to open. Maybe they have them somewhere.
Fixed-height ball mounts do come in a range of lengths, in case you need extra length for this sort of purpose.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=CarlNH;231992
I would love to get some instruction when I pick up my new 19 in May as I have never towed before and do have some anxiety about it ;-) [/QUOTE]

May I suggest that it would reduce your anxiety sooner if you rented or borrowed a utility trailer one day and simply practiced driving around with it and backing up in a wide open space.

Lot's of newbie's have had anxiety about towing only to discover after the first day that it's really not a big deal at all.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Fixed-height ball mounts do come in a range of lengths, in case you need extra length for this sort of purpose.
Yes, I have about 4 different lengths and 4 different heights in my garage, yours free if you come and pick up, all before I got the adjustable one. You will go through several tow vehicles, each one different with your Escape.....
Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #59

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
I see RV Driving school has a location in the Seattle area... is that the one you used? I would love to get some instruction when I pick up my new 19 in May as I have never towed before and do have some anxiety about it ;-) Something near ETI would be good as well so should check that out as well. Thanks for the tip!
I took lessons from the fellow over in Sequim, which is a few hours NW of Seattle (give or take, depending on where exactly you're driving in from). There's a campground in town - forget the name but I found it via google.

The first night there I had a hell of a time backing up, even with the instructor helping me. Second night (well, afternoon to be correct) was better but the third afternoon I nailed it. It was a straight back-in spot. A gal a few spots over came out and said she was impressed enough with my improvements that she was gonna take the lessons herself for their motorhome as she really needed to learn how to handle it. (she had watched me each afternoon.)

I know of at least one other Escape owner that took lessons from him. And others have taken them with the school in other locations. I felt I would learn so much more through him than the truck driving school next to ETI that also offers RV lessons.

I had so much more confidence after taking the lessons. At some point, when Dirk is ready to drive the truck/trailer, I'll have him take lessons as well. But, for now, I'm the one mainly taking it out on my own and when we go together it's close enough for me to do all the driving.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #60

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Yeah, I plan to do that... actually own a utility trailer and I suck at backing that up ;-) Just thought a 19 would considerably more trailer to deal with but, as you say, some practice is surely better than none! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
May I suggest that it would reduce your anxiety sooner if you rented or borrowed a utility trailer one day and simply practiced driving around with it and backing up in a wide open space.

Lot's of newbie's have had anxiety about towing only to discover after the first day that it's really not a big deal at all.

Ron
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote