What did I forget - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
What did I forget

I will be picking up my new Escape 19' Travel Trailer on March 19/18. I have never owned or used a trailer in the past so I have a lot to learn. My towing vehicle is a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with the Class 3 towing package (5,000 lb. towing capacity & 500 lb. tongue weight). This is what I have done so far:
1) Build Sheet finalized which includes the dual 6 Volt Batteries, Winterizing T-Valve, Back Up Camera and Starter Kit. The Starter Kit includes tandem chocks, toilet chemical, 25' water hose, Water pressure regulator and Hitch Lock.
2) Ownership of the Trailer has been registered and the license plate obtained.
3) Insurance has been obtained & is effective for Feb 1/18 (Trailer completion date is Jan. 31/18).
4) Purchased Table Pedestal - to be installed at orientation.
5) Purchased Brake Controller and harness - will be installed by the Honda Dealership at my next oil change. Will also change the existing doughnut spare tire to a full size spare tire.
6) Bought a Yamaha EF 2000is Generator for backup power.
7) I plan to purchase the RV Mat, the RV Step Rug, the Spare Tire Cover and the Deluxe Sewer Kit from ESI when I pick up the Trailer.

I understand that in general, you want the ball mount to be slightly higher than the trailer coupler to account for the trailer's tongue weight. The top of my ball is presently 16 inches from the ground. I have asked ESI what the trailer coupler height is so that I can adjust the height of the ball if needed.

I am sure that I have forgotten a lot of things. For example, what sort of electrical adapters do I need? What is a Water Tank Filter Valve & is it useful? Is a Hitch Lock the same as a Coupler Lock. Are wheel locks required? What about Levellers - anybody have experience using the Anderson Levellers. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdusty View Post
3) Insurance has been obtained & is effective for Feb 1/18 (Trailer completion date is Jan. 31/18).
A minor point...but why do you have insurance coverage an additional month and a half when you don't take possession until mid-March? (Despite #2, the trailer is not yours until ETI transfers ownership, I believe.)
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
A minor point...but why do you have insurance coverage an additional month and a half when you don't take possession until mid-March? (Despite #2, the trailer is not yours until ETI transfers ownership.)
When we purchased our trailer, ETI told us that ownership would be transferred on the day of completion and that we were responsible for insurance coverage from that day forward, even though the trailer remained on their property until we picked it up six weeks later.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

Wow, that's news to me.

Edited: Okay, maybe for a sale to Canadians but I don't understand if the trailer is going to the United States (not in the OP's case, I know) as the title wouldn't be transferred until the trailer is exported across the border. Maybe some clarification is needed here.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I suggest an adjustable ball mount so it can be raised or lowered to the exact needed height. I also think a set of those plastic blocks and have Escape install the sand pads on the stabilizers, put the plastic block under them when setting up. Trailer Aid is a plastic ramp which allows you to change the flat tire on your tandem set up. A lug wrench to tighten the wheel lugs after delivery is needed and finally some plastic ramps to level your unit side to side. All of these should fit inside your front storage box.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Oh, and have Escape fill the water and propane tanks.....
Old 01-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #7

Trailer: None now
Buy the sand pads. They are easy to install. To me that should be part of the package as otherwise you have a very small contact area between the C jack and ground.
Bring a torque wrench and socket to check torque at the recommend miles. Ours used a 13/16 socket. The initial setting I found a few took from 1/4 to 1/2 turn before the wrench clicked. After that they seemed to stay in adjustment.
We have the Anderson levelers but often do not need any leveling or find the pieces of 1/2 inch ply I cut are perfect. 1 to 3 pieces as needed. I've gotten pretty good at looking at the trailer level and knowing how much I need. Past that I do use the Anderson's.
You can get away without the water filter, we do use one but for us it is to keep sediment and such out of the plumbing. I do not drink the trailer water. A water pressure reducer is a must! Install it right at the spigot so the RV drinking water safe hose you run to the trailer is not exposed to high pressure.
As far as adaptors a 50 amp to 30 amp RV electrical adapter is handy. The 30 amp recepticals are used a lot more and often have more wear. We have had cases where they were so loose the plug fell right back out. And any burn marks around them or inside the plug and I'm not going to use it.
In which case the adapter means we stay at the site we are at instead of requesting a move.
Did you get the Progressive EMS power protector? If not get a volt meter so you can check voltage and the condition of the power pole. I check even though we have the EMS .
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
A minor point...but why do you have insurance coverage an additional month and a half when you don't take possession until mid-March? (Despite #2, the trailer is not yours until ETI transfers ownership, I believe.)
I was advised by ESI on Jan. 3/18 that it is my responsibility to have storage insurance as the title to the Trailer will now belong to me. I made it effective for the day after the completion date.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While you can get away with one Anderson Leveler for a small amount of leveling, to raise the trailer more than a 1" or so, you should use one under each wheel. You will have to cut the length down on at least one of them to get them to fit both wheels.

I prefer the Anderson's to most of the other choices, although I do carry a set of "Lego" blocks to use under the stabilizers, tongue jack, and, for the few times the Anderson's don't do the trick, the tires.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Don't know where you plan on camping, but you don't want to go with the thermal windows and insulation? Nights can get chilly on the prairies.
Insulation package will help a lot to prevent condensation build up.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
I was advised by ESI on Jan. 3/18 that it is my responsibility to have storage insurance as the title to the Trailer will now belong to me. I made it effective for the day after the completion date.
That makes sense to me for Canadians as it adds little to the purchase price of the trailer but saves ETI thousands of dollars a year in insurance costs. (And they are a business, after all.)
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 01-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I will be picking up my new Escape 19' Travel Trailer on March 19/18. I have never owned or used a trailer in the past so I have a lot to learn. My towing vehicle is a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with the Class 3 towing package (5,000 lb. towing capacity & 500 lb. tongue weight). This is what I have done so far:
1) Build Sheet finalized which includes the dual 6 Volt Batteries, Winterizing T-Valve, Back Up Camera and Starter Kit. The Starter Kit includes tandem chocks, toilet chemical, 25' water hose, Water pressure regulator and Hitch Lock.
2) Ownership of the Trailer has been registered and the license plate obtained.
4) Purchased Table Pedestal - to be installed at orientation.
5) Purchased Brake Controller and harness - will be installed by the Honda Dealership at my next oil change. Will also change the existing doughnut spare tire to a full size spare tire.
6) Bought a Yamaha EF 2000is Generator for backup power.
7) I plan to purchase the RV Mat, the RV Step Rug, the Spare Tire Cover and the Deluxe Sewer Kit from ESI when I pick up the Trailer.

I understand that in general, you want the ball mount to be slightly higher than the trailer coupler to account for the trailer's tongue weight. The top of my ball is presently 16 inches from the ground. I have asked ESI what the trailer coupler height is so that I can adjust the height of the ball if needed.

I am sure that I have forgotten a lot of things. For example, what sort of electrical adapters do I need? What is a Water Tank Filter Valve & is it useful? Is a Hitch Lock the same as a Coupler Lock. Are wheel locks required? What about Levellers - anybody have experience using the Anderson Levellers. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Just so you know - Unless Escape has changed the brand since I picked up my trailer in August, the Dominator brand (the Deluxe version they sell at the factory & offer as an option) hose does not fit in the storage tube supplied with the trailer because the 90° connector is too large. The Camco RhinoFlex uses a smaller 90° connector that, along with its heavy duty hose, fits the stock storage tube. You will need to store the 90° elbow in a separate container if you go for the Dominator brand system. I have had no problems with the Camco system - I used it for 6 years with my 17.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Congrats on the new trailer! My advice, since you're a newbie, is to slow down a little and focus on the most important items -- towing, safety, learning how to use the trailer's systems (water, electric, propane). Get comfortable towing safely, hooking, unhooking -- if you jump into too many things at once (generators, etc), it might get overwhelming.
Your Escape comes pretty well equipped as delivered, so as you use it you can find items you would like to add. There have been lots of things I thought I wanted (such as an RV mat), but turned out I don't like the hastle, so it's just added weight.

Are you using a WDH? Most come with an adjustable ball mount and Escape can set it up for you. If you're not using a WDH, you might consider adding a sway bar (lots of opinions and threads on that topic around here).
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #14

ETI told me the top of the 2 inch ball needs to be 19 inches.
I have a large outside RV mat, 8 by 10 that I like the look of and the idea of but...traveled for two months last year from coast to coast and never pulled it out once. Try your trailer first maybe then purchase a large mat if you like. Of course we have a small 2 x 3 ft mat on the ground outside the door. I like thick ones with large holes so it is off the ground a bit plus let’s gravel and water fall through.
If your going to camp in Ontario I suggest a 25 ft 30amp extension cord because many power posts are in the bush between the spots. It will run you about $50 Can from Costco or Walmart. On our trip my brother in law refuses to by one and he was without 30 amp power many nights. The picture below shows him using all of his and my 15 amp cords.
Enjoy your trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
3A1CDBB5-2346-42E0-A55F-E6AF58F4C17D.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie39 View Post
My advice, since you're a newbie, is to slow down a little and focus on the most important items -- towing, safety, learning how to use the trailer's systems (water, electric, propane).
Amen to that sentiment. Although I don't have the plumbing (no bathroom or attendant gray/black-water tanks), I don't have half, or even a quarter, of the stuff a lot of folks buy for their trailers that is unrelated to plumbing. Take a while to learn your camping style before pouring out a bunch of bucks that may or may not be relevant to your needs.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 01-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
ETI doesn't supply a spare tire cover any longer? Even the one with their name on it and all that? Weird. Free advertising for them if they do supply it. I've since passed mine onto another owner and now am using one I ordered from a spare tire cover company. (Yep, has a cat on it, so all is well in the world, Greg from AZ.)

I'd ask what brands they supply for the stuff you're thinking of purchasing and then look around and compare prices. When we got ours, I found I could get everything at a much lower price from Amazon. I did get the step cover as it was there and they guaranteed it would fit (some of the others might not).

I'm not even interested in an RV rug. One more thing to shake dirt out of and stuff into the back of the truck. One more thing to put away that might have gotten wet. Yep, not using one. Instead I just have a rug from a local store that I can shake outside to clean it off and run it through the washer when I get home. Much easier. Plus a brush to sweep the floor from time to time.

And we haven't even touched on what you'll get for the inside of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00206.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Hi Sawdusty (I love your online name by the way) I like your opening post and think you are getting lots of good advice. My post will take a different direction but I trust it will be helpful.

You write: "I have never owned or used a trailer in the past so I have a lot to learn" I assume this means you haven't towed anything before - If I'm mistaken ignore everything in this post. Although, there may be something useful in it to complete newbies.

On top of all the good technical advise you are receiving on this thread I'd advise that you take some towing lessons at a reputable source. It seems to me that this would be extremely beneficial if you are towing your brand new treasure home over the Coq and the Rockies on your way back to Calgary, Alberta.

In my view, someone completely new to towing would benefit from towing lessons. I'd advice that you run some good hills and figure out how to actually use the brake controller before you tackle to Coquihalla. You will have a far more relaxed trip.

A few years ago, my wife and I had never towed before picking up our new Escape and greatly appreciated our towing lessons.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 escape 17b -sia-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I suggest an adjustable ball mount so it can be raised or lowered to the exact needed height. I also think a set of those plastic blocks and have Escape install the sand pads on the stabilizers, put the plastic block under them when setting up. Trailer Aid is a plastic ramp which allows you to change the flat tire on your tandem set up. A lug wrench to tighten the wheel lugs after delivery is needed and finally some plastic ramps to level your unit side to side. All of these should fit inside your front storage box.
if you are going to use your generator for back-up power to your trailer, please find out if you will need an Edison plug.as some members say "don't ask how I know" also if you got the removable power cord-make sure you try hooking it up yourself at orientation...fg
fgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Don't know where you plan on camping, but you don't want to go with the thermal windows and insulation? Nights can get chilly on the prairies.
Insulation package will help a lot to prevent condensation build up.
I did get the additional insulation top and bottom and the thermal windows but I will try to avoid winter camping if possible.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I do use my rug but its not something you have to have like some of the other items above. i bought a very large rug for my 17 but it was too big gave it to a friend and bought a smaller one.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote