What I learned at the factory on 1/19/16 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is why I chose not to get the 2 way electric/gas heater. With the gas only standard heater, I turn it on for an hour in the morning and one at night, all while standing inside the camper. The water remains hot throughout the day and I have saved myself $200 which is about 4 years of propane use. Simple to use and no chance of burning out your electric element, there is none!
Old 01-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I have done that.
And now I know someone who has.

Having had both a gas only and now the dual fuel, I'd not bother getting the dual if there is a next time. Doesn't save enough to bother with and one more thing to break.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
No doubt to have to turn the electrical switch on and off is something that is important and can be very problematical if turning it off is forgotten. I put a big sticky note with that as one of the DO NOT FORGETS, where I can be reminded. For me, since I pay to stay, I'd rather use the provided electricity.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We would not be without a dual water heater. We used to always be plugged in and no reason to use propane, if paying for electric. To use propane, you have to have it and it is possible to run out or even have the regulator frozen in the off season. With electric, you have that option. We have not ruined an element --- yet.

We usually keep the water heater off. It is off if we leave the campground, off in travel, off if at storage. We only turn it on briefly morning and night and try to make sure it is off the rest of the time.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Hmm, Jim that looks interesting. Have you installed that unit?
I still have my trimetric sitting on a shelf out in the garage. Been too lazy to install the shunt and wasn’t too keen on cutting a hole above the fridge to install the monitor. So far I’ve been using a 12 volt plug in monitor with good success. May have to have a closer look at this. Thanks. Scott

Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
Fat bikes are FUN!
Yes, go here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...m-4904-13.html
Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim, once again thank you. I still need to order the bamboo shower mat. Even though we are experienced campers who know what we like and need it’s pretty neat having this forum as a resource for alternative solutions. I wonder if my neighbor needs the trimetric for his lance. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the White Schnauzer
Friends don’t let friends eat farmed salmon
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you hook up power to the trailer with the forgotten switch on, and the heater empty, you can smoke the element. At least that's my understanding. I've NOT heard of anyone actually doing such.
sigh...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Was not aware that the cooktops come with a cover now. Used to be an option - which we left out.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #29

Took my cover off and use an oak wood cover which doubles as a sink drying location as well as a serving tray for outside...
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #30

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Was not aware that the cooktops come with a cover now. Used to be an option - which we left out.
Sarah said it was a safety feature. Yeah, that sucker's coming off! She did say it was easy to take off.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
And of course the price of our trailer went up.....
I don't think there is a down, only up, at least in my experience.
Quote:
I believe Jim B had posted a how to for the HW tank LED as well as moving the switch to inside the trailer. We use it, it's a good mod to do. Obviously ETI will not do it for you.
Here is the write I did on the mod. I most definitely plan to do this to my 5.0, though probably with a smaller lit toggle. In this mod, I just took advantage of an existing duplex plug, which we never used once.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...itch-1165.html
Quote:
. I've NOT heard of anyone actually doing such.

On Edit... I wonder if doing the mod nullifies the heaters warranty, if so that may be why ETI wants no part of it. You are cutting the wire to the manufactures built in power switch.
Ummmm.......yeah......guess what one of my incentives for the mod was?

I can't possibly see how it could be a warranty issue. Putting a switch in line with the power supply would have no effect on how it performs. The line cut is part of the trailer supply, and not one of the heater's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We would not be without a dual water heater.
Me either. I mean why not? The biggest thing I love about it, more than the fact I don't use my propane, is that it is so much more quiet when operating. No need to only turn it on when needed too.

And this coming from a guy who boondocks most of the time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added a switch loop between the water heater circuit breaker & the feed to the heater. No change to the water heater wiring. While I usually leave the 120v supply to the water heater on all the time (just like your electric water heater at home), there are a couple of advavtages to having the internal swirtch. I can easily switch it off and go to propane when connected to a 15 amp pedestal, I don't have to go outside to switch it, and if you have ever had to replace the switch built into the water heater, you will appreciate not using it and wearing it out.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I'm wondering why the light switch mod is one that ETI won't do? It wouldn't seem to go against either the not slowing down production, nor the no unsafe mods rules. It might be that if there was a pre-made switch/light combo that could be easily wired without lots of messing around that they would be more willing?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Since any modification of the electrical inside hot water heater voids the UL rating, it would not be something that a manufacturer would want to do.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:21 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Since any modification of the electrical inside hot water heater voids the UL rating, it would not be something that a manufacturer would want to do.
Might be. But I ordered the "hot rod" electrical option for Ten Forward. I'm usually always hooked up to an electrical bush. And.. there's that 2 year warranty from ETI...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The ETI warranty covers the trailer, not the appliances. Those are covered by the manufacturer of the appliance.
If ETI were to do anything to void UL or CSA standards they would lose big.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
water heater

While I appreciate the idea that if a person is paying for an electric hookup then he might as well get his money's worth; however, running an electric water heater 24/7 because you can doesn't seem very earth friendly.

Bob-o
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:18 AM   #39

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
More answers to my questions

I've received answers to most of the questions I had when we were talking with Sarah this past Monday. They might be of interest to others.

I had asked about the brand names of some of their options as I like to do some research on stuff for the trailer (and add in more bookmarks! HA!).

Water pressure regulator - Valterra (interestingly enough, ETI charges less than what I found it for on Amazon and that's not even taking into consideration the exchange rate)
Sand pads - Norco
Hitch lock - Master Lock
Wheel chalks - JR Products
Power tongue jack - Atwood 300lb Deluxe

Any of the Jack-E-Up devices will work with the power jack.

The size of the hatch for the underbed access area is 7.5" tall and 16.5" wide (although she did type in 19' so not 100% sure it's the same for the 21').

I had asked about installing the TP roll in a different area due to not getting the sink and was told we could wait until orientation to install it. (wanted to have more space by the non-existent sink for showering and the roll is right under the sink, so I thought it might be a good idea to install it elsewhere)

They can only install the one type of toilet they use (I had asked about a Dometic low-profile, elongated), so like someone else said, you get to toss a good toilet if you want to replace with another kind. Bummer. Hum, maybe a planter in my non-existent garden.

They don't use the Nev-R-Lubes, only the EZ Lubes.

The sink I want to install is 15x15x8 and it'll work. (Yes, I know I'll lose some space under the sink, but I'm fine with that, as well as any counter space. And no, I won't fill it up with water when washing dishes!) I was concerned it was too big, but Sarah said they can install it. The basin is appx 11.5x12. It has a single faucet hole in the upper right, but they can rotate it 90 degrees, so the faucet will be on the left, which I think will be better and more out of the way of doing stuff on the counter. I'm going to order it and the matching faucet from Pioneer Building as with the exchange rate it's lots less expensive than from an American vendor. I've written to them for a quote as I don't know if the one I got in Sept is still valid. So, two fewer things I need to haul up there when the time comes. Yay!

(I'm in love with this sink and faucet!!! So, I was excited to find out they would work. Never thought I'd be so excited about appliances. Never in my wildest dreams!)

And, as referenced in a separate thread I started, they will install the 12v heat tape. I just need to figure out which pipes and how much of the stuff to send to them.

I'm waiting to hear back on one more question and that's it. Yay!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:22 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
As adding a switch to the power supply line has nothing at all to do with the water heater itself, I can't see this being the issue. For starters, there is no way that there is any potential for it to cause any issue at all with the water heater.

If someone bypassed the switch on the water heater itself to do this mod, I could see a possible warranty issue, though would not be concerned myself.

There must be another reason that Escape will not do it, as it is such an easy thing to do. I have added the query to my list for when I visit Reace next month.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote