What I learned at the factory on 1/19/16 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #81

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
... For example, on the build sheet for our trailer, this is what we deleted and if there's a credit, I listed it after the item:
... mattress, $150 credit ...
Laura, Just curious - why no ETI mattress for your 21? It seems a rather unique item with the angled-off corner. Will ETI build the bed base corner out square as a mod for a regular mattress if ordered, or is that a big problem otherwise? Or are you planning for a different mattress with a custom corner trim? Again, just curious... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe some are getting a tempurpedic style mattress, but the frame will remain angled. Not enough room otherwise.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #83
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Laura, Just curious - why no ETI mattress for your 21? It seems a rather unique item with the angled-off corner. Will ETI build the bed base corner out square as a mod for a regular mattress if ordered, or is that a big problem otherwise? Or are you planning for a different mattress with a custom corner trim? Again, just curious... Dale
We thought the stock ETI mattress was too soft, so ETI put us in direct contact with their mattress builder in Canade. We had them build their most firm version and ship it direct to ETI. Think the cost was $400 before the $150 credit from ETI, so $250 out of pocket. It's great!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #84

Thanks, Charlie Y. Likewise, my wife and I like an extra-firm mattress. If/when we decide to put our name on a new 21, we'll definitely look into it. Dale
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #85

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
We got a full size Select Comfort bed. Yes, I know it'll hang over, but the bed is also a bit shorter than the queen length that the frame is. I plan to put some foam cushioning at the head of the mattress to take care of some of that gap. I also think that we might need to add in a bit of "shelving" to support the corner of the bed - will have to see when we get it in place at the end of December.

I realize it'll take away some of the aisle space there, but to me it'll be worth it as I love the Select Comfort beds. We've been using 'em for over 20 years and I get crummy sleep on other types of mattresses. If I've gotta drive and pull the trailer (I'll be using it as a solo camper quite a bit until hubby retires), I want a good night's sleep beforehand.

I realize this plan won't work for everyone.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #86

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
FYI
Good Morning Jerry,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, we normally do not give out the information of our mattress manufacturer. I believe this was a one-off situation, an error of a new employee. Certainly, you are welcome to source your own mattress if you would prefer something different. We do not have the ability to store customer mattresses at our facility. If you opt to go with your own mattress you are welcome to bring it with you at the time you pick up your trailer. There would be a credit of $150.00 to delete your mattress.

Please feel free to forward any further questions you may have,

Warm Regards,

Sarah Morelli customer service
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
FYI
Good Morning Jerry,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, we normally do not give out the information of our mattress manufacturer. I believe this was a one-off situation, an error of a new employee. Certainly, you are welcome to source your own mattress if you would prefer something different. We do not have the ability to store customer mattresses at our facility. If you opt to go with your own mattress you are welcome to bring it with you at the time you pick up your trailer. There would be a credit of $150.00 to delete your mattress.

Please feel free to forward any further questions you may have,

Warm Regards,

Sarah Morelli customer service
Weird, however their mattress vendor is Ducan out of Lethbridge AB. Stock mattress is pretty soft.

We built our own using 6" closed cell foam with 2" memory foam then 3" latex.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #88

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Weird, however their mattress vendor is Ducan out of Lethbridge AB. Stock mattress is pretty soft.

Considering all the other options and mods you can order I would think a few mattress options would be popular. And a money maker, easy to swap.

Puzzling why they would want to keep the mattress manufacturer's name confidential unless it's a cheap import? Feels like it.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:58 PM   #89

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Puzzling why they would want to keep the mattress manufacturer's name confidential unless it's a cheap import? Feels like it.
Perhaps because the manufacturer deals wholesale and doesn't want to be bothered by Escape customers with requests for modifications?

Isn't it time for you to buy a trailer you like?
Old 05-20-2016, 11:03 PM   #90
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

It is very weird, considering that when I wanted the most firm mattress possible that would fit the 21 frame, ETI put me in direct contact with Ducan to make it happen. I dealt ONLY with Ducan to have it built ($505 CDN) and it was shipped to ETI with their usual delivery. ETI did not store it. Reace sent the confirming drawings to Jada Leavitt at Ducan, and she arranged delivery with Tammy.

I would not consider Reace and Tammy new hires making an error.

I do consider it a very fine and comfy mattress, and concur that a firmer version would be a good product option. I tried several manufacturers in the USA and none of them would consider making a mattress with a whacked off corner like the 21 design.

If I could not have done the custom mattress I would have bought an Oliver instead. People who need a firm mattress that doesn't hang out in space aren't going to buy a 21 - and that's a LOT of people!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 05-21-2016, 01:41 AM   #91

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't think it's strange for a manufacturer to decline to put retail customers directly in contact with the manufacturer's suppliers. It's great that this worked out well with Duncan in the past, but arrangements with suppliers do change, so that option may no longer exist.

Try asking Ford if they'll let you have different seats made by their seat supplier and installed at the factory in your new truck. Most people would just plan on an aftermarket upgrade, and would be astounded if Ford would give them a credit for the stock seat and let the buyer put the aftermarket seat in at the dealership at delivery.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:44 AM   #92

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If Ford won't let me choose my own seat foam and upholstery, I'm taking my business elsewhere.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #93
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ducan isn't the only mattress manufacturer in the world. Google your home state/city and you'll probably find more than one. I know there's several in Portland. Not being able to get the mattress I want in an ETI build wouldn't be enough to drive me to a different trailer manufacturer. I'd just find a mattress manufacturer that would make me what I want. Casita owners often get their mattresses from Southern Mattress.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #94

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Casper makes excellent highly rated,supportive multilayer foam mattress that can be delivered right to ETI with free shipping. When we get close to our pick up date I will have Casper deliver it to ETI, and then I will trim off the corner myself.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #95

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
mattress

We replaced our 8 year old temperpedic with a Casper mattress and loved it so bought one for our 21. I cut the corner off with an electric knife, now we sleep much more soundly.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #96
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ducan isn't the only mattress manufacturer in the world. Google your home state/city and you'll probably find more than one. I know there's several in Portland. Not being able to get the mattress I want in an ETI build wouldn't be enough to drive me to a different trailer manufacturer. I'd just find a mattress manufacturer that would make me what I want. Casita owners often get their mattresses from Southern Mattress.
Tried as many as I could find in western Oregon and Washington. Lots will make you a custom rectangular mattress. None wanted to deal with a missing corner as on the 21.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 05-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #97

We purchased a wonderful Parklane RV mattress (Oregon) before they stopped making them. BedInABox makes several styles and ships them directly to you - yes, in a box (relatively small). Then when you cut open the vacuum sealed bag, the foam re-fills with air, the gel expands, and in just a few minutes, it becomes a mattress right before your eyes! We ended up getting a BedInABox gel mattress topper for our bed at home and love it.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #98

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
When we get close to our pick up date I will have Casper deliver it to ETI...
From an earlier post (#86) and quoting ETI: "We do not have the ability to store customer mattresses at our facility. If you opt to go with your own mattress you are welcome to bring it with you at the time you pick up your trailer."

It sounds like delivery from another manufacturer is not an option.

Edited: I think it important to remember that what was allowed even a year ago may not be an option today; standard items and customizations can and will change even within a short period of time. ETI is still a relatively small manufacturer and management is probably continually reviewing their policies as to what fits with their production and what does not. We should ever be grateful that they allow the customization that they do.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #99

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
From an earlier post (#86) and quoting ETI: "We do not have the ability to store customer mattresses at our facility. If you opt to go with your own mattress you are welcome to bring it with you at the time you pick up your trailer."

It sounds like delivery from another manufacturer is not an option.
Another thing to know. If you can't have something delivered to ETI for installation at the factory, but you want it to use on your way home, there is another option for you. It's a booming business for border towns and I saw several along the main drag in Sumas. I don't remember their names, but the businesses will receive packages for you, until you pick them up. It's different (I believe) from a place you where need to rent a box from them. The Seattle Times had an article about them in the past year or so. Do a google search and I'm sure a bunch will pop up. They're popular with Canadians that want things that aren't shipped to Canada. Or Escape Trailer owners wanting to pick up stuff that ETI won't hold for them.

I'm sure there's similar businesses for Canadian owners (in Canada), unless you want to cross the border for it and haul it over yourself.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #100

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
If you can't have something delivered to ETI for installation at the factory, but you want it to use on your way home, there is another option for you. It's a booming business for border towns and I saw several along the main drag in Sumas. I don't remember their names, but the businesses will receive packages for you, until you pick them up.
I'm sure there's similar businesses for Canadian owners (in Canada), unless you want to cross the border for it and haul it over yourself.
These are popular with Canadians in border areas mostly to avoid border-crossing fees by couriers, so there's much less reason to have them in Canada. There is still a market for them, and the largest chain is presumably the UPS Store (previously called Mail Boxes Etc). I don't know what their rules are for large packages.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote