What new features would you like? - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #121

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'm not a big fan of "standard" stuff. My opinion is that ETI has built so many configurations they must have a pretty good handle on what customizations are popular, so makes more sense to me for them to have more of an ala carte spreadsheet of those options and the costs to choose from. The bewilderment of what is and is not possible when putting together a build sheet is confusing at present. The prices for various options may be different with the different sizes of trailers, but just to know what is possible, even if the price is "TBA" seems like it would be helpful to the customers.
They do have some of that information on their computers. For example, when I asked about the white belly band, which is not a listed feature, Sarah pulled it up on her computer and quoted me the price right away. A few other things she said she'd have to ask if they do it (they've done it in the past for others, so I'm hoping they still will) and would get back to me with the price.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #122

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I think they got that belly band straight with us. We asked the price and were told $50. A little later we said we wanted one. They said they didn't do that!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #123

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of "standard" stuff. My opinion is that ETI has built so many configurations they must have a pretty good handle on what customizations are popular, so makes more sense to me for them to have more of an ala carte spreadsheet of those options and the costs to choose from. The bewilderment of what is and is not possible when putting together a build sheet is confusing at present. The prices for various options may be different with the different sizes of trailers, but just to know what is possible, even if the price is "TBA" seems like it would be helpful to the customers.
It could be that they would like a lot of these things to go away and if no one asks for them, they don't have to worry about them any more. The items that they specify as options, they need to supply. Don't need to supply the others and can just say that they are no longer doing those, if asked and they don't want to. They have a long list of options now that were not always there.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #124
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
It could be that they would like a lot of these things to go away and if no one asks for them, they don't have to worry about them any more. The items that they specify as options, they need to supply. Don't need to supply the others and can just say that they are no longer doing those, if asked and they don't want to. They have a long list of options now that were not always there.
True to a point, but for those they would rather not do they could charge a hefty premium. My biz does a lot of stuff not listed on my website, and those projects are priced based on time (labor) and material costs. If someone really wants something custom to meet their needs, they will pay the price.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #125

Quote:
True to a point, but for those they would rather not do they could charge a hefty premium. My biz does a lot of stuff not listed on my website, and those projects are priced based on time (labor) and material costs. If someone really wants something custom to meet their needs, they will pay the price.
People would often have been glad to have them charge a hefty premium for some work but they just would not do some things. No telling why. Sometimes they give a reason, sometimes not. For other work, they did get a hefty premium. They may be much more production line oriented these days. They did some unusual work for you but it doesn't mean that they would always do that. The bigger they get, the fewer unusual requests they may want to take. Many of the present owners may have been lucky to have some of their requests fulfilled.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #126

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
In talking with Reace about this, what I gather the issue is, is the trailer has a set time designated to be in production, and in the shop. All work must be done in that time, as they need to spot it occupies for the next one in the production lineup. If they do extra work, even if they made good money at it, and don't stick to their timelines, it puts the next trailer behind in production causing more hassles than the extra charges would be worth. Even though doing this custom work for people is important to them and their customers, ensuring that their production goals are met is even more paramount.

This is why I am happy to get what I can from them, and do some custom stuff myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #127

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Reace once told me the same thing -that they will consider custom work, but only if doing it won't effect the production stream. He also will never make a change or modification that he considers to be unsafe or that would compromise the quality of the trailer. I think that those rules are very wise.

Imagine the posts here if people's pickup dates kept getting pushed back due to special requests on trailers ahead of theirs in the production line.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #128

This is the same kind of thing that I have been told as above and Reace also said that the new space will allow them two trailer spaces for orientation. They can then presumably send out six trailers on most days instead of three. I did not ask him if doubling production but that is the impression I have. In any case, they will no doubt be increasing production a good amount. A growing company is good for us in that they will be there for service questions and possible work, instead of fading away as some other fiberglass companies have done. Good for us that they are doing so well!