What new features would you like? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Either way, somebody has to pay for them.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:38 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The jacks currently on Escapes are intended as stabilizers - the owner is directed specifically not to lift any part of the trailer with these jacks, as it risks bending the trailer. To work as leveling jacks, I believe that either the frame would need to be stiffer between the jacks, or a pair of leveling jacks would be needed immediately behind the axle(s),
I do wonder, with the greater stiffness in the 4" frame over the 3" frame, if this is still as applicable. Perhaps a structural guy can chime in but my rough estimate is that it's about 2.35 times more resistant to bending. At any rate I've sometimes wondered if the factory caution is a little bit overkill considering they've switched from a 3" to 4" frame but kept the caution note the same.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Yes they do, and that's why I was able to ship a single arm spray faucet. I didn't word my request very well... I was looking for Escape to provide an alternate faucet as a factory option. From reading this forum, it looks like a lot of people have sent in their own faucet and/or sink. Having a factory option vs sending your own is really just a convenience thing and not a big deal. I didn't send a sink because of the shipping cost. If an alternate sink was offered I might have selected it. We're just listing ideas and nice to haves here, and that was one for me! I think the fact that it's such a nitpicky thing is a testament to the great variety of options Escape offers!
I see what you mean, Jill. This is the problem they have: They do not specify what they use for the bath or kitchen faucets or sinks and, if they do, as with an option, they have to provide exactly that sink or faucet model at the price given. Sinks and faucets change a great deal. In other words, they are constantly discontinued.

Now they have the standard sink and a stainless steel version. If they get something else for an option, they have to be able to provide big numbers of it. If it is discontinued, they have to contact every customer who ordered it and make arrangements for a change, and look for a replacement and change their information. That is very time-consuming. Same for a faucet.

They have that problem with all of their options but there is so much variety in sinks and faucets. People choose what they choose for many reasons. Solar panels, for instance, don't come in thousands of possibilities. Right now, if one of the standard sinks or faucets is discontinued, they simply get another. No announcement, no contacting customers, no changing info as would be happening with options. The designs are so numerous and constantly changing. And they know that. So they have you find what you want beyond theirs. If they think they can have another one that would appeal to many people, and that they can supply in big numbers for a long time, maybe they will do that. They have to rely on others to do that.

I did not send a sink because of shipping. I liked the sinks of several here including Alan's and Donna's but liked Chris R 's --- round. But found no round sink small enough in Canada to fit and to avoid big shipping. Our faucet, however, was purchased from IKEA and shipped from California for $12 shipping. Doubt I could have had a deal like that on sink shipping from the U.S.!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Frame stiffness versus leveling jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I do wonder, with the greater stiffness in the 4" frame over the 3" frame, if this is still as applicable. Perhaps a structural guy can chime in but my rough estimate is that it's about 2.35 times more resistant to bending. At any rate I've sometimes wondered if the factory caution is a little bit overkill considering they've switched from a 3" to 4" frame but kept the caution note the same.
All good points, but I think there are some significant detail issues.

Jacking for leveling at three points (one just behind the axle on each side, and the tongue jack) would likely be fine for all models, and that's presumably why Oliver went with this approach - the problem comes when trying to take the load far from the axles.

The 2"x4" frame on the 17 Foot is probably lots, but when I jacked up my similarly sized Boler with full-length 2"x4" frame rails that way (to work on the suspension) it looked fine but it (temporarily) sagged enough that the door no longer fit properly (just while it was jacked up). So if that's marginal, there are two factors to further complicate the situation:
  1. in all Escape models the rear part of the frame (the part which steps up) is 1.5"x3" tubing; this is entirely suitable for the purpose, but was not chosen to take load off of the axles, and as I recall the existing rear jacks are mounted up on this lighter rear frame section
  2. in the larger-than-17' models, larger tubing would have been required just to match the strength and stiffness of original 1.5"x3" main frame of the 17', while accounting for the greater weight and greater span
I agree that Escape may be a little conservative in their advice, but if it was applicable for the 3" framed 17' it would probably still be applicable for the 4" framed 21', and jacking for leveling involves some substantial forces in any model.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:00 AM   #65

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Like to see these standard:
Removable power cord
Power Tongue Jack
8" memory foam mattress or the current coil you choose
Black snap caps and trim for dark Formica choices
Medicine cabinet/mirror bathroom
Towel bar bathroom
Switches at entry door for each outside light and main overhead interior light

Hopefully these will all be in place before they release the 25 model...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd like my 17B to be 19'.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #67

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. Without unnecessarily getting into anatomical details, an elongated bowl would be desirable for some owners. While this can be changed by the owner, it is annoying to pay for something that will just be removed and discarded, so a factory option would be better.
This is one thing that I've asked about, but did not get a response; maybe because Crystal left and Sarah didn't realize it hadn't been answered. However, I do plan to take a printout of one up there on Monday to find out if it can be installed. Along with printouts of various sinks and faucets we're thinking of. And to measure everything possible in their display trailer.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:44 AM   #68

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
What would we talk about if they made all the options standard? Part of the fun of this forum is finding out what everybody else is doing and not doing.
I started this thread as a lighthearted thread - something to have fun with. It's always fun (least for me) to dream about stuff, even though I know darn well it'll never happen. Like automatic levelers. Yeah, I know that's not gonna happen, but it's fun to dream about it.

I've enjoyed seeing what other ideas folks came up with. I'm sure some of those folks know it'll never happen, but it's fun to think about.

I fully appreciate the fact that ETI will allow me to make so many choices on my trailer. Especially since I don't have to have BROWN upholstery! We got ssssooo tired of seeing brown in all the stickies we were looking at before I discovered ETI. Yeah, some may like brown, but not us.

And yeah, I want my trailer to have a toilet! I will not be deleting that feature!
Old 01-17-2016, 02:06 AM   #69

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I started this thread as a lighthearted thread - something to have fun with. It's always fun (least for me) to dream about stuff, even though I know darn well it'll never happen. Like automatic levelers. Yeah, I know that's not gonna happen, but it's fun to dream about it.

I fully appreciate the fact that ETI will allow me to make so many choices on my trailer. Especially since I don't have to have BROWN upholstery! We got ssssooo tired of seeing brown in all the stickies we were looking at before I discovered ETI. Yeah, some may like brown, but not us. :nonono

Yes, I still want a periscope through the bath vent!

No brown for us either after the last one! I think they use brown so much to hide stains. It is nice to see all of the other colors people are getting which has included just about everything in Escapes by now.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:42 AM   #70

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Here is the Oliver step-
That Oliver step is an interesting conversation point. I spoke to Robert Partee, their sales manager at the Cherokee, N.C. rally last fall, where there were 9 Olivers, and Robert said they couldn't find a satisfactory step set, so they build their own. It is solid aluminum and rather pricey to make, he said.
I'm fine with our current step on our 21'
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #71

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One thing we all may be missing here in determining what items should or not be standard, is Escape's point of view!! By making items standard, such as location of lights, type of water heater, refrigerator model, Escape can preplan items and purchase them in bulk, they can standardize plumbing and electrical wiring harness and wiring runs all of which would make their production smoother and quicker. This is why Airstreams do not make changes, their units have all been made, on paper, and they know the cost and thus the selling price in order to make a profit. An Airstream can be made in less than 2 days, not bad considering some are close to 30' long, because they have standardized their production.
This can be good for Escape for several reasons, they can order in bulk, they can effectively calculate their profit timely, considering the market changes all of which helps both them and the customerIn addition standardization would lead to elimination of the, at present, one year order backlog.
So which do you want, customization and a long wait or standard with a short wait?
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #72

Trailer: 2000 Honda TRX 300
I would like to see the option to get 4 ea. recessed "D" rings put in the
outboard corners of the hall walk way thru fastened to the frame. This
would allow the ability to secure items to the floor during portage.

Also I loved the thought of the Dicor 4 way pneumatic table that was
mentioned in this thread

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...stal-6505.html
1vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One thing we all may be missing here in determining what items should or not be standard, is Escape's point of view!! By making items standard, such as location of lights, type of water heater, refrigerator model, Escape can preplan items and purchase them in bulk, they can standardize plumbing and electrical wiring harness and wiring runs all of which would make their production smoother and quicker. This is why Airstreams do not make changes, their units have all been made, on paper, and they know the cost and thus the selling price in order to make a profit. An Airstream can be made in less than 2 days, not bad considering some are close to 30' long, because they have standardized their production.
This can be good for Escape for several reasons, they can order in bulk, they can effectively calculate their profit timely, considering the market changes all of which helps both them and the customerIn addition standardization would lead to elimination of the, at present, one year order backlog.
So which do you want, customization and a long wait or standard with a short wait?
Hi: cpaharley2008... Most of the "Stickies" we saw at Tampa RV show looked like they were built in 2 hrs. not two days. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #74

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alf
We went to an RV show a couple years ago and looked at some campers. There was one there that had a wall by the door that had all of the instrumentation mounted on it. Four different " gauges", thermostat, holding tank, battery level etc. However, three of them were not even close to level and none were evenly spaced or lined up. It was a mid $30K unit. Looked like a sixth grader put it together. Well probably not even.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
No brown for us either after the last one! I think they use brown so much to hide stains. It is nice to see all of the other colors people are getting which has included just about everything in Escapes by now.
Yeah, several salesmen told me that was why everyone used brown.

And I agree, even if I don't like a pattern/color someone has picked, I know *they* like it and it's fun to see what all everyone comes up with. Mine is a medium purple, which I know not everyone will like, but I love it and that's what counts. I get to live in it. (My husband knows if I'm happy, he's happy, so he's letting me make those decisions.)
Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #76

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I want things my way. I don't want no stinkin' bathroom, yet a 17' trailer (of any make) wasn't going to work with my Newfoundland and Golden Retriever. I couldn't be happier with my bathroom free 19. I had to wait a year for it and that's just cost of having it my way.

I replaced the thermostat with a digital one. The Atwood is just a pain and doesn't seem consistent with the quality of the trailer.

I love my pnuematic pedestal, I'll bet it's option shortly.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #77

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
A topper for the dinette bed.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
I want things my way. I don't want no stinkin' bathroom, yet a 17' trailer (of any make) wasn't going to work with my Newfoundland and Golden Retriever. I couldn't be happier with my bathroom free 19. I had to wait a year for it and that's just cost of having it my way.
So, what's in that area? Did they leave out the surrounding wall/door? I'd be most interested in seeing a picture of that area.

Do the dogs sleep on the permanent bed and you get the smaller one for yourself? Not exactly small dogs, are they?
Old 01-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #79

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post

I replaced the thermostat with a digital one. The Atwood is just a pain and doesn't seem consistent with the quality of the trailer.

I love my pnuematic pedestal, I'll bet it's option shortly.
I am assuming you are single . Your approach would not pass muster with my traveling companions. I like our dog but I like my wife even more.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #80

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I am assuming you are single . Your approach would not pass muster with my traveling companions. I like our dog but I like my wife even more.
I think Mary's favorite thing about our trailer vs our old tent days, is being able to use the bathroom after bedtime, especially on cold nights.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote