whats the best portable solar panel? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #61
CRJ

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Something like this? All you need to do is splice in behind the controller and add a solar port thru the shell in a convenient location.
thanks for the diagram and tip on the Zamp equipment. I'll check it out.
There currently are MC4 splices up at the existing solar panel. I guess I could replace them with T type connectors but that would mean getting up on the roof to connect / disconnect which wouldn't be desirable.
CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ View Post
thanks for the diagram and tip on the Zamp equipment. I'll check it out.
There currently are MC4 splices up at the existing solar panel. I guess I could replace them with T type connectors but that would mean getting up on the roof to connect / disconnect which wouldn't be desirable.
I definitely wouldn't do that with MC4 connectors. While you can take them apart, they are really not meant for a means of constant disconnecting. I thought about it more, and without moving the controller which would be a real pain, running wires up to in inside from a port to connect the portable panel would likely work the best, look the neatest and be easiest to use method.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #63
CRJ

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I definitely wouldn't do that with MC4 connectors. While you can take them apart, they are really not meant for a means of constant disconnecting. I thought about it more, and without moving the controller which would be a real pain, running wires up to in inside from a port to connect the portable panel would likely work the best, look the neatest and be easiest to use method.
This definitely seems like the best approach. I'll pull the controller and figure out the best route for wiring. I just got the trailer and still need to learn more about the system. Like how to shut it down when not needed...... and I'm sure much more.
CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:54 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Renogy Panels

I am looking at 2 Renogy 100 watt solar panels HERE on Amazon. If I have a PWM controller that has an Absorption voltage of 14.4 volts, I calculate the following amount of power each panel will produce.

Regular Design: Optimum Voltage - 18.9, Optimum Current - 5.29 amps. So 14.4 volts with 5.29 amps = 76.2 watts

Slim Design: Optimum Voltage - 16v, Optimum Current - 6.25 amps. 14.4 volts with 6.25 amps = 90 watts

Are my above calculations correct, and the Slim Design will charge my battery by an addition of almost 14 watts or 18% power?
Old 02-27-2018, 12:05 AM   #65

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I am looking at 2 Renogy 100 watt solar panels HERE on Amazon. If I have a PWM controller that has an Absorption voltage of 14.4 volts, I calculate the following amount of power each panel will produce.

Regular Design: Optimum Voltage - 18.9, Optimum Current - 5.29 amps. So 14.4 volts with 5.29 amps = 76.2 watts

Slim Design: Optimum Voltage - 16v, Optimum Current - 6.25 amps. 14.4 volts with 6.25 amps = 90 watts

Are my above calculations correct, and the Slim Design will charge my battery by an addition of almost 14 watts or 18% power?
In ideal sun exposure, but below the optimal voltage (Vmp), the current will be somewhat higher than optimal current or Imp (but still less than short circuit current Isc). As a first approximation, guessing at a combination of optimum current and the lower voltage seems reasonable.

In practice, the shape of the voltage-current plot for the two panels may not be the same, and even if they are the same you're looking at two different points on it. It is rational to expect better output in ideal conditions from the panel with the better-matched voltage, but...
  • in real sun conditions the target charging voltage may be too high for the lower-voltage panel, and
  • even in ideal conditions picking the operating point of the panel's performance curve would provide a better estimate.

I assume that these are the panels:
  1. Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel (spec sheet)
  2. Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel (Slim Design) (spec sheet)
The downloadable spec sheets (linked above) include IV Curves. At 14.4 volts in ideal sun it looks like both panels would put out almost their short-circuit current (not just the max power point current), so the comparison would be
  1. regular: 14.4 V * 5.75 A = 83 W
  2. slim: 14.4 V * 6.45 A = 93 W
It would be great if they published these performance curves for lesser sun exposure conditions as well, to see how they would compare under more realistic conditions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #66

We just bought the GoPower 120 portable...
Old 06-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #67

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Cool

Check out the solar portable information in the attached PDF document. It shows the different Zamp Solar portables, their weight, dimensions both open and closed and their Amp hour rating on average. It also show the nice nylon ballistic case the portable comes in and the options you can purchase to extend the range (15 to 30 feet) and the Zamp Solar port which is best located near the battery compartment vent.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zamp Portable Solar Kits.pdf (244.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In ideal sun exposure, but below the optimal voltage (Vmp), the current will be somewhat higher than optimal current or Imp (but still less than short circuit current Isc). As a first approximation, guessing at a combination of optimum current and the lower voltage seems reasonable.

In practice, the shape of the voltage-current plot for the two panels may not be the same, and even if they are the same you're looking at two different points on it. It is rational to expect better output in ideal conditions from the panel with the better-matched voltage, but...
  • in real sun conditions the target charging voltage may be too high for the lower-voltage panel, and
  • even in ideal conditions picking the operating point of the panel's performance curve would provide a better estimate.

I assume that these are the panels:
  1. Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel (spec sheet)
  2. Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel (Slim Design) (spec sheet)
The downloadable spec sheets (linked above) include IV Curves. At 14.4 volts in ideal sun it looks like both panels would put out almost their short-circuit current (not just the max power point current), so the comparison would be
  1. regular: 14.4 V * 5.75 A = 83 W
  2. slim: 14.4 V * 6.45 A = 93 W
It would be great if they published these performance curves for lesser sun exposure conditions as well, to see how they would compare under more realistic conditions.
We bought two slim panels because I felt they would give us a higher charging current with our PWM solar controller. The down side is we have to be careful that we don't loose too much voltage in the wire from the panels to the controller.

I ran a test using an 8 foot 10 awg cable run and a 28 foot 10 awg cable run. There was a difference of almost 2 amps of battery charging with the two 100 watt panels (12+ amps down to 10+).
Old 06-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I ran a test using an 8 foot 10 awg cable run and a 28 foot 10 awg cable run. There was a difference of almost 2 amps of battery charging with the two 100 watt panels (12+ amps down to 10+).
While that difference is substantial Rick, 10 amps in the sun 28' away is better than what you get in the shade 8' away. This is the main reason I have a portable panel, as so often in the past we seem to be camping in the trees, but go figure, since getting the 5.0TA and setting up the solar, we have mostly been in the bright sunshine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Concern about portable panel compatibility with rooftop panels

I have three rooftop panels totaling 355W of power. A 95W panel was installed by ETI, later two additional panels were installed by AM Solar. They abandoned ETI's wiring and connected all three panels to a junction box of some kind on the roof. I assume they are connected in parallel. Nice fat #6 wire runs from the roof to the solar controller.

I recently installed a new MPPT controller and an SAE connector for a portable panel. The connector is wired in parallel with the panel wires from the roof. I'm a bit confused reading posts about needing to match portable panels voltage-wise with rooftop panels. My new controller shows that the rooftop panels vary in voltage, in bright sunshine they go up to 20V. So what do I need to look for in a portable panel? Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:07 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
So what do I need to look for in a portable panel? Thanks.
The manufacturer rated voltage is what I was told to look at by a local shop. Most all panels we would use are around 18V.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #72

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have three rooftop panels totaling 355W of power. A 95W panel was installed by ETI, later two additional panels were installed by AM Solar. They abandoned ETI's wiring and connected all three panels to a junction box of some kind on the roof. I assume they are connected in parallel. Nice fat #6 wire runs from the roof to the solar controller.

I recently installed a new MPPT controller and an SAE connector for a portable panel. The connector is wired in parallel with the panel wires from the roof. I'm a bit confused reading posts about needing to match portable panels voltage-wise with rooftop panels. My new controller shows that the rooftop panels vary in voltage, in bright sunshine they go up to 20V. So what do I need to look for in a portable panel? Thanks.
Your panels from AM Solar are most likely wired in parallel in the combiner box on the roof. That is the preferred method. This is a good video from AM Solar that goes over the basics of series vs. parallel arrays.

To the best of my knowledge with panels in parallel the maximum power voltage (Vmp) will be limited to the lowest Vmp rating of an individual panel. This is why you should try to match the Vmp of your panels as close as possible. Most "12V" panels will be 18Vmp +/- but can as high as 20Vmp +/- depending on the number of series connected cells on the panel. It is safe to say that AM Solar used 18 Vmp panels to match as close as possible with your existing Go Power 95W panel that literature shows is 17.2 Vmp. I also see Renogy makes a "24V" panel with a Vmp of 31.4 Vmp but that is a different animal altogether. As Jim said, look for an 18V +/- Vmp rated portable and you should be fine.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #73

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The general rule is: "Both in series and parallel connection, plugging a panel of a lower power rating to the array drags the whole output power down." The ideal solution is to add a panel identical to the existing panels.

However, this is a simplification. A good web site that discusses combining panels is this: https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/. I like it because it has a lot of pictures.

I am sure AM Solar has done an excellent configuration, you will need to determine just how they wired things so you can add to it properly.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:02 AM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The self-taught EE in me isn't 100% sure about that rule of thumb that the lower voltage panel simply drags the higher voltage panels down to its output voltage. rather, I would expect the lower voltage panel to simply not contribute as much current to the total as the higher ones. when you parallel voltage sources into a low impedance load (for instance, the solar controller/regulator), you are creating a current 'adder'. this is, of course, a gross simplification of a fairly complex system, due to the nature of PWM or MPPT regulators.

those voltages are open circuit voltages. when the panels are under load, the actual PV voltage drops some based on the load. if any panels output is well below this *effective* voltage, then its simply not going to contribute any current, for instance, if one panel is shaded its not going to contribute anything but the unshaded panels should continue to contribute their full output.

in the ideal world, each panel would have its own MPPT style regulator, with the regulators all slaved together to coordinate the charging cycle... but I don't think anyone makes anything like this.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I like it because it has a lot of pictures.
Yes, a pretty clear illustration for us non-EEs.

I just realized that I have one possible advantage with my two 12 volt batteries isolated with a battery switch. If I do end up with a mis-matched panel for the new trailer, say the portable one, I could always feed it into the second battery.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote