What's the deal with the INVERTER? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Folks should be careful with those 12V splitters. Sometimes they are rated at a lower amperage than the 12V wall socket they plug into. I exceeded the 10A rating of a splitter and melted its plug in the wall socket, not blowing the 15A fuse in the circuit to the socket. I could have easily started a fire in my trailer.

That's an excellent point Mike. Folks, pay attention to the amperage.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:30 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Higher education, lower tuition, great off campus recreation program.
Sometimes I want hit like on these comments but then I realize that I'm not on Facebook.

erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #43

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Folks should be careful with those 12V splitters. Sometimes they are rated at a lower amperage than the 12V wall socket they plug into. I exceeded the 10A rating of a splitter and melted its plug in the wall socket, not blowing the 15A fuse in the circuit to the socket. I could have easily started a fire in my trailer.
Good point, I have this one, says it's rated at 15A. Wonder what the Corolla's lighter socket is rated for?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #44

Trailer: ""
We have been using portable solar panels (30 watts) and a 400 watt inverter with dual batteries (series 27) in our current trailer for several years. We prefer boon docking, often for extended periods.

The 400 watts of the portable inverter is limited by the amperage of the outlet. To get the full 400 watts it has to be hard wired to the batteries. I added an extra 12 volt socket (from West Marine) which will handle up to about 180 watts. That's enough to recharge electronics, run a CPAP or a hair straightening iron.

We just returned home from 8 nights 65 km from the highway on a lake off a logging road. Our voltage never dropped below 12.5 even after a rainy day watching videos on my notebook.

We are working on the build list for our 17B and plan to add the 1500 watt inverter, solar panels and dual batteries. I look at the microwave as a third burner to free up counter space.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #45

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
inverters and attennas

I was wondering if anyone went witha charger /inverter combo ?

Also when using computer ,phone etc how do we increase range it seems quite confusing what products do most of you use ?

Also how does one start a new thread ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post

Also how does one start a new thread ?
See if this helps.

Go to the forum you want to start the new thread.
NewThread-01.jpg

Click new thread button.
NewThread-02.jpg
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
...when using computer ,phone etc how do we increase range it seems quite confusing what products do most of you use ?
I assume you mean how do you get a better 4G signal? Many on this forum (including myself) use a Wilson Trucker 4G/3G antenna, and a cradle (used to be called a Wilson Sleek but now it's called a WeBoost) that contains a power amplifier. The cradle connects to the antenna, and your phone or hotspot goes into the cradle. It does a good job of amplifying the signal for us, usually going from 1 or 2 bars to 3 or 4.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Okay, stupid questions coming......so we're on day 9 in our new trailer, on OR coast with no cell reception so I'm writing this from a fish store in a little town.....
We've only been in campgrounds with hookups so haven't been dry camping at all. This inverter, solar, 2 6 v battery set up we got....does this come on automatically when dry camping....and if yes, shouldn't our 110 receptacles always have power, whether thru power cord or inverter switching 12 v to 110?
The reason I ask is that we have had some problems with the removable power cord, tricky to get it in just right. Sooo, while fiddling with it, to make sure it was in correctly and power functioning, I would run in & check refrig light to see if it switched from propane to ac....someone in the campground suggested just getting a night light plugged into receptacle by door so don't have to run in to open frig. Well, fine, but shouldn't the receptacle be live all the time if we have transfer switch, inverter? Because they weren't unless plugged into power.
We have a call into Reace, but are so in and out of phone range haven't connected yet.....thanks for any help answering!!.....K
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Until a better answer comes along, the inverter for sure, and likely the transfer switch has an "on/off" switch.

PS also the battery kill switch needs to be "up" for using the batteries, "down" for storage. Mine is next to fuse box on driver dinette seat.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I'm not sure what type of problem you're having with the removable power cord but it only goes in one way and then twists to lock into position; the outer ring is then engaged (threaded on) to further secure the cord in place.

Don't know about the other questions.

Edited: And it takes a few seconds for the refer to "search" for the best or default power source so don't rush there (oops...that's the 3CF refer, don't know about the larger ones).

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote