What's the deal with the INVERTER? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
What's the deal with the INVERTER?

I'm trying to complete my build sheet and I'm stuck on this inverter business. I guess I don't really understand it, I know that sounds kind of lame but I've never had to deal with it. So do I need it?

Can someone explain the basics to me?
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Inverter creates AC voltage to feed your 110VAC outlets from the 12V battery when you want to run something with a household plug on it and you are not plugged into AC at a campground. Biggest criteria is the wattage of the device you want to plug in and how long you want to run it. Some must have their microwave, coffeepot, hair drier, or television but others don't. Usually people will get solar if they boondock a lot to recharge the batteries the inverter drains.

I didn't want to give up the storage space for a permanent one as portables are widely available if needed - but we have a 12V TV/DVD player if we want to watch movies while boondocking. If I'm planning on boondocking I just take a Honda 2000i generator along as it will also run the air conditioner should that be needed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The inverter converts your battery current, which is DC into AC to operate things that have to be plugged in. However with some planning, most items can be operated off 12v as the entire trailer is, except for the a/c. Thus tv's and other small appliances can be purchased to operate off 12v, so inverters may not be needed, if you plan accordingly.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
One of our favorite options. In the Escape 21 there are 5 AC outlets standard, however you must be hooked up to shore power to use them. With an inverter(we opted for the largest one ETI offers: 1500W) we can run a Vitamix blender. Some run other small appliances like TV's & DVD players that aren't 12V. It will power the microwave ETI sells- it is a small one, 700W I believe. If you get the inverter you really should get the transfer switch(making ALL, not just one outlet live). Looking recently at ETI's options list that may be the only way they sell it now.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We got the 1500 watt also, and the transfer switch for all outlets. So far we haven't used it, and in all likelihood our use will be minimal, but it's one of those back-ups I just wanted to have. I had (have) a smaller (400 watt) built-in inverter on my Tacoma, and when I have tried using it for tools, it's pretty weak.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
We too added the inverter and transfer switch are all outlets to our 19. In our 17, we used a portable unit. The smaller, 375W portable unit we purchased as an add-on was surprisingly noisier than the inverter in our current 19. The fan noise had a high pitch whistling sound, much more annoying than an ordinary fan sound.

We specifically ordered the 1500 W inverter and transfer switch to recharge my wife's hearing aids which unfortunately do not have the 12 V charging supply available. So, unless she wants to switch batteries frequently, overnight recharging is the best bet. I understand there are some people with other medical devices which need 110v as well.

Now that we have it, we find ourselves occasionally warming up those leftover muffins in the microwave when, in the past, we would have used the stove to do so. Works well, although we did have a transfer switch failure which ETI quickly resolved.

It just really depends on how you expect to camping, or in our case, glamping.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If you plan to camp without hookups, and you want to run AC appliances when doing so, get an inverter.

We use ours quite a bit, and are happy with the option.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #8

OK inverter for those times I'm not hooked up power

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If you plan to camp without hookups, and you want to run AC appliances when doing so, get an inverter.

We use ours quite a bit, and are happy with the option.
So I should get an inverter to use when I'm not hooked up to power. When I'm not hooked up to power I am using battery power (recharged by solar). Won't using a bunch of appliances drain my battery?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcampbell View Post
Won't using a bunch of appliances drain my battery?
I'm surprised that nobody recommending the inverter also recommended a battery bank to run the appliances or at least dual 6V.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Keep in mind, bigger AC devices like the microwave such a lot of power out of your battery/s. As Glen mentions, if you go with the inverter, get the dual 6v batteries.

We use a small portable to recharge the dust buster, when we take it, and occasionally the drill/driver, no vitamix, have no need for the larger one ETI sells. It all depends on if you think you might benefit from have AC available at campgrounds that have no power hookup. Most places you can opt to get a campsite without hookups if you wish and save a few bucks doing so.

A 1500w should not be used to run the air conditioner.

The small portable jobs tend to have a noisy fan on them, we use ours outside via the external 12v port.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Erik, I also questioned our need for a big inverter when we started looking at our options list for the build sheet. Several of my friends got it for their trailers, but I couldn't figure out why I'd ever need one (since it won't run the air conditioner). Yes, using appliances will drain the batteries (thus the advice to go with the dual 6 volt batteries, which have much more storage than the Group 29 upgrade), and as well the inverter uses power to invert power from DC to AC. We decided not to get it... but, then, we already have a 12v "Endless Breeze" fan, don't use a coffeemaker or hair dryer, etc. Our small electronics can be charged off either the 12v or with a small portable inverter that we already have (and use).

I hope this helps you figure out what's best for YOUR camping style and needs.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
These type of questions come up frequently. An easier way to think about it is that the electrical is a SYSTEM, and that system can have many components depending on what you want or need. In our case, we like the option of having plenty of power when we boondock, and not having to worry about draining the batteries. So, we went with solar and dual 6v batteries. It gives you more capacity as well as recharging. We find that by 10 or 11 am the next day after moderate to heavy inverter use, the batteries are already back at full charge.

There is no one solution for the electrical system that will fit everyone's needs. If you run 12v appliances only for example, or you rarely boondock, dual 6's, an inverter or solar may not make as much sense. Think about how you will use your trailer, and then equip accordingly.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
We opted for the smaller Escape supplied 600 watt inverter and no transfer switch. Its a compromise and we prefer to run everything on 12 volt since its more efficient. We use it for a curling iron (my better looking half), charging the cordless drill for the stabilizers, and charging the laptop. The downside of the 600 watt inverter is that it does not have the remote on/off switch. I'll probably wire in my own switch with a relay.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I use a portable Harbor Freight plug in inverter ($20). Does everything we need. If anything, I wish we'd gone with another 12v plug or two.

G
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I use a portable Harbor Freight plug in inverter ($20). Does everything we need. If anything, I wish we'd gone with another 12v plug or two.

G
Ok, so this leads me to my next question: if you only use 12v power do you get some extra 12v plugs installed? Because the way its set up, you only have one 12v inside and one outside.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Ok, so this leads me to my next question: if you only use 12v power do you get some extra 12v plugs installed? Because the way its set up, you only have one 12v inside and one outside.
Hello Jalama Beach Boy; you're clearly on the 12V side as it were. And that's fine. Erik- you're buying a $30K trailer, do like Rbryan and get all the ETI options and then some that ETI doesnt' know about

Seriously though, there is one 12V plug inside but none outside. That is an AC outlet.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You tell ETI how many you want and where you want them placed, which would be where you are likely to use them.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hello Jalama Beach Boy; you're clearly on the 12V side as it were. And that's fine.
Ross, you know how to rub it in! No Jalama for 3 more months, not cool!

G
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
We added two 12Vs at the dinette and a third near the bed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We're adding a 12v outlet at the dinette, the galley (kitchen), head of the bed, and also one outside, next to the 120v.

ETI will also install 12v outlets with USB ports, but we decided not to get them. (We have 12v USB adapters already, and who knows what connections will be needed five to ten years from now? Is USB going to persist?)