Where to put Umbra Hooks in a 21? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Where to put Umbra Hooks in a 21?

We are starting to get serious about putting the build sheet together for our new 21 which hatches on Sept. 24th. One of the things we really like in our 17b is some Umbra hooks that we had ETI install. It seems like we always have things on the hooks, even the summer. We use them for hanging coats, towels, caps, backpacks, and dog leashes.

But we are bit stymied on the best location for them in the 21. Here are some possibilities we have thought about:
  • In front of the cubbies next to the bathroom (ok to hide the cubbies -- we can get to them behind the coats)
  • on the bathroom wall above the bed
  • on the wall by the sink -- below the "stripper pole"
  • on the wall of the drawers facing the bed
  • on the fridge wall that faces the dinette
  • On the dinette wall by the stove
Does anyone have Umbra hooks in their 21? and if so, where? Unlike command hooks (which we will also use), we need to figure out the placement of these hooks before we get the trailer.

Thanks much for any advice.

Leon

LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The cubbies will not work as there is a sliding curtain that goes there. The wall facing the bed is too low to ground, I'd suggest the bed wall. Another option is have that wall reinforced and you can then install any type of hook or the Umbra anyplace on that wall. I have installed a magazine rack there for access at night time. You may want to wait until using the unit and then make the right decision, just have the wall reinforced during the build out.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
With respect to hooks, more is better, as long as they aren't in the way when not in use. Were it me I'd put them (or at least make sure I could add them) everywhere I thought I *might* find them useful.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I agree with Jim. I reinforced the bathroom wall next to the bed just in case. After delivery of my 21 I installed Umbra hooks on that wall just below the smoke detector. So far I'm only using it for small items like hats etc. Hanging coats wasn't a problem with getting into and out of bed, but gave off a cluttered look. So for now the coats, if dry, hang in what's left of the closet. I plan on mounting a magazine rack on that wall just like Jim, for night time use.

We get a lot of use out of the cubbies, and hanging there doesn't sound doable, but I'm going to look at your idea about using that spot. Who knows, maybe it will work?
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
pics of our solutions for hanging things in our 19 . All our walls are reenforced and I like screws . Only in the bath except for a cabinet I built behind toilet. Those hooks I think Escape sells a package , also can go outside to hang towels etc, then remove when you are leaving Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0423.jpg (266.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (163.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0421.jpg (220.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0422.jpg (233.5 KB, 27 views)
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
pics of our solutions for hanging things in our 19 . All our walls are reenforced and I like screws . Only in the bath except for a cabinet I built behind toilet. Those hooks I think Escape sells a package , also can go outside to hang towels etc, then remove when you are leaving Pat
more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0382.jpg (249.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0424.jpg (194.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0425.jpg (135.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
If the hooks were on the bathroom wall by the bed wouldn't that be annoying to have the jackets in the bed area ?

Thanks.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
If the hooks were on the bathroom wall by the bed wouldn't that be annoying to have the jackets in the bed area ?

Thanks.
Hi . If you are quoting my pics . No hooks in bed area . What you are seeing is dinette wall . Also bath door . Couple small In kitchen area . Bed area has Shelfs and a cubby . Going to add a little more like Myron . Pat
Old 03-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:

Thanks.
Not really, I installed one on each corner wall of bath and bed, up high. No interference for jackets, raincoats maybe another story.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:

Thanks.
We ended up with a row of 5 umbra hooks high up on the bathroom wall down by the foot of the bed. They work well for us. The last couple of hooks get used for jackets. The others get used for caps, hats, a waist pack etc. I sleep on that side of the bed and pretty rare for me to notice that stuff.