where to terminate battery monitor wires? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question where to terminate battery monitor wires?

Hi all

For a modest fee ETI will, when building my 2017 21', wire in the wires for a battery monitor that I'll add. (They wont install it, just pre-wire for it)

I had suggested to them"We’d want the battery monitor wire pre-wiring wires to terminate in the vicinity of the other monitor type displays (so adjacent to the standard monitor panel display, for example)….. if that is a possibility. (?)

Their reply was "I can run the pre-wiring to the vicinity of the existing monitor panels. As they are located over the fridge there is nowhere for me to terminate them which would allow you access to them. My suggestion would be for us to run them to the overhead cabinet beside the fridge."

I'm good with this... I just want it away from the poking fingers of any children. Up high is good.

I have attached a photo, that I harvested from "Its Friday thread, of someone elses 21'.... then added my black text indicating where I think they should terminate the wires. Is this a good place? (for being up high)

I'll probably get the Trimetric TM-2030-RV

thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
arrow shows furnace and fridge etc DSC00172.jpg  
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
What I know about electricity, you could put in your eye an blink and not feel it. But, I'd have the wires run and terminate in the drivers side overheard cabinet in the rear dinette. That's where the batteries are located (in the dinette benches I mean).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Is there room above the cable tv outlets for the monitor in that location?
Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is there room above the cable tv outlets for the monitor in that location?
I myself won't be getting the cable tv hookup (well spotted!) so I am guessing I will be ok...?

I may make the trip to tour the 2017 showroom model at ETI in a while... Much would be looked at, and measured, at that time.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Hi all

For a modest fee ETI will, when building my 2017 21', wire in the wires for a battery monitor that I'll add. (They wont install it, just pre-wire for it)

I had suggested to them"We’d want the battery monitor wire pre-wiring wires to terminate in the vicinity of the other monitor type displays (so adjacent to the standard monitor panel display, for example)….. if that is a possibility. (?)

Their reply was "I can run the pre-wiring to the vicinity of the existing monitor panels. As they are located over the fridge there is nowhere for me to terminate them which would allow you access to them. My suggestion would be for us to run them to the overhead cabinet beside the fridge."

I'm good with this... I just want it away from the poking fingers of any children. Up high is good.

I have attached a photo, that I harvested from "Its Friday thread, of someone elses 21'.... then added my black text indicating where I think they should terminate the wires. Is this a good place? (for being up high)

I'll probably get the Trimetric TM-2030-RV

thanks.
Some points to consider:
The light on the 12v outlet that faces the bed is bright enough to bother my wife at night. Our Trimetric over the refer acts like a night light and would be very bothersome shinning on the bed at night, although you can "select" to only have 2 small green lights on the Trimetric, if you remember before you get in bed.

To mount the Trimetric over the refer you would need to cut a hole, and reaching through to locate the coiled wire sitting atop the refer would be easy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2219.jpg   IMG_2222.jpg  
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
If there is room for it, I'd put it over the refrigerator. You should be able to unscrew one of the monitors and pull it out to reach in and find their wiring run.

Our Trimetric has a light on it which is on when charging. Not much of a problem. But when the batteries are charged it blinks. Now that can be a problem when trying to sleep. I haven't found a way to turn this off, but this could be a case of not studying the manual (RTFM).

I do like the Trimetric for monitoring battery charge.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #7

there is always the black tape approach, for those that can not program their VCR, to stop that blinking light.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 17
I think Jim mentioned the Trimetric looses it's settings when you turn the battery cutoff for storage. Making you go and have to re-program it. So I passed on one.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My Trimetirc is not on the disconnect switch, if I want to kill it I need to pull the fuse between it and the battery positive. The only time I've seen it loose it's settings is when I've sent it off for software updates.

Don't recall it loosing it's marbles over the winter but if I think of it I'll try pulling the fuse when I get back next weekend and see what happens.

Programming only takes a minute or 2 if you've written it down like you are supposed to. Probably less for folks with just the monitor.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 17
No thanks for me. Jim saved me money

"Yes, I had installed 2 Trimetric meters on prior units, never really took advantage of all the features, all the settings would change after unplugging and storage. I can see it's value on a boat or a motor home that is in constant use, but I'm not missing it"

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...on-3778-4.html
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Some points to consider:
The light on the 12v outlet that faces the bed is bright enough to bother my wife at night.
We cannot see that 12v light normally because we have a flip-up table covering it. With the table up though, we can. We put a piece of clothing down the side to cover it.

The EMS can also be a big problem if you can see it from the bed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
My Trimetirc is not on the disconnect switch, if I want to kill it I need to pull the fuse between it and the battery positive. The only time I've seen it loose it's settings is when I've sent it off for software updates.

Don't recall it loosing it's marbles over the winter but if I think of it I'll try pulling the fuse when I get back next weekend and see what happens.

Programming only takes a minute or 2 if you've written it down like you are supposed to. Probably less for folks with just the monitor.
I was wondering about that . So you can install the monitor directing to the batteries ? That will bypass the switch ? I am pretty dumb when it comes to electrical but I can follow directions . Am solar when I talked to them wanted me to install the Trimetic to see what is going on with my dual batteries . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:36 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I was wondering about that . So you can install the monitor directing to the batteries ?
Yes, just depends where you take the +12vdc from. Either hook it to the load side of the disconnect switch, or somewhere along the battery side. You can put another switch on this 12v line if you wish, be simpler then pulling the fuse like I do for those times you want to kill it. I planned on doing such but just didn't get around to it.

Don't know that it matters but keep in mind the TM-2030 monitor is the control panel for their SC-2030 solar controller, which is what I have.

There are other monitors out there, here's one that gets good reviews. Hookup looks the same.

https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-...allation-guide
Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Yes, just depends where you take the +12vdc from. Either hook it to the load side of the disconnect switch, or somewhere along the battery side. You can put another switch on this 12v line if you wish, be simpler then pulling the fuse like I do for those times you want to kill it. I planned on doing such but just didn't get around to it.

Don't know that it matters but keep in mind the TM-2030 monitor is the control panel for their SC-2030 solar controller, which is what I have.

There are other monitors out there, here's one that gets good reviews. Hookup looks the same.

https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-...allation-guide
Thanks Bob . I bookmarked the information . Right now I just have a little volt meter . The victron looks pretty nice . Going to look up price . Still not sure about putting solar on the roof though . I may later be asking more questions . Pat
Old 06-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #15

Then there is always this model, completely wireless and bluetooth to your smart phone....
Batterycheck - Wireless RV & Marine Battery Management.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Then there is always this model, completely wireless and bluetooth to your smart phone....
Jim you forgot . We are old school with still a flip phone . No smart phone . Pat
Old 06-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim you forgot . We are old school with still a flip phone . No smart phone . Pat
You too some day will be assimilated.

Not only do they provide a screen solution for the battery monitor, but for so many other things too, like WiFi cameras for backup and hitching.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks Jim.... good to know about.

However on an RV i think i'd prefer a hard wired, old fashioned type of monitor...

as that company might well be out of business in 5 (?) years and stop supporting the App .... then it no longer works.

plus when i am camping i am really trying to not look at my phone for 23 hours a day. trying to disconnect.

but certainly good to know about it! looks cool.

update: did a quick google search for the price, and found that on Amazon, (i believe the correct item) it gets very bad reviews.... (out of only 3 reviews, so not a big sample size)

http://www.amazon.com/Zamp-BMPRO1-Bl.../dp/B00OBULL3A
Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You too some day will be assimilated.

Not only do they provide a screen solution for the battery monitor, but for so many other things too, like WiFi cameras for backup and hitching.
Jim that will only happen if this phone breaks . I've dropped it many times and it won't die . It is the Samsung military grade phone . Very sturdy . Also just really use phone as a phone . I only got cell phone years ago after the kids keep nagging to get one , and I broke done and had to walk to get help in the dark . Sooooo . Saw a need . Pat
Old 06-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
This is what a Trimetric 2030 can do for you, if so wish to know.

Know what your electric draws are, these measurements are in Amps

Refer on 12 volt 16
water pump 3
heater fan 1.5
maxx fan/high 1.5 low .2
bath fan 1.5
LED lights
center .5
captains .2
Trimetric .1
CO/smoke/propane .2

It tells you: Battery Voltage and percentage to full. How many negative amps hrs you're currently down, what your current combined draw at any time , What your current amps coming from your panels or generator. It will tell the last time the batteries were fully charged. And about 1000 different measurements that I don't know a thing about.
You always know 100% what is really going on, no guessing.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote