Which Options Should I Choose for 17B Trailer? Help! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #41

Trailer: 2005 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17
Send a message via Skype™ to mdnf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Yes, permanent bed is an option. We wanted the permanent bed since it is primarily just my wife and I and we are ok with the smaller dining table and thus loosing the option of using the larger eating area where the permanent bed is. We didn't want to fuss with moving cushions or mattered.

Regarding resale, we followed Forum advice which went like this: Build the trailer for yourself because u will have the trailer for many years. Fiberglass trailers are built to last and we want this trailer for our retirement exploring years. . Our only concession for resale was putting in TV Ready wiring because we don't want TV in the trailer but it may make a difference for resale. We have lots of options via our laptop, iPads for movies and such anyway.

RE Campsites. since we r in BC there are many Escape forum members who give opinions / advice re campsites. We also use social media, word of mouth and Trip Advisor when choosing camping sites and trip routes. If u head into BC ask away either pm or on the Forum. Sometimes there are too many opinions
Hi Larry and Liz,

Great advice again. Thank you.

We will be picking our trailer up from BC and spending some time there. Our delivery date is set for November 17 but they say it can be ready as soon as August 17. I guess I still have time to find great camp sites.
mdnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
If the trailer is ready for pickup on Aug 17, I'd delay pickup till after the Sept Long weekend. Things get a bit busy here in the lower mainland with all us city folk trying to get in as much camping before school and the summer ends.

I think u will find all kinds of campgrounds to choose around Chilliwack to stay a day or two while u check out the trailer systems. And heading east back to your home in September easpecially if u take the southern route (highway 3) will be truly EPIC and u should be able to get lots of campsites. You'll just have us retired folks out there.

Camping eastward in September is wonderful.
LarryandLiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I agree, we picked up Prairie Schooner the last week in September and had no issues with cg nor crowds. We did avoid the Seattle on the way back, taking US2 east to I90.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #44

Trailer: 2005 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17
Send a message via Skype™ to mdnf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
If the trailer is ready for pickup on Aug 17, I'd delay pickup till after the Sept Long weekend. Things get a bit busy here in the lower mainland with all us city folk trying to get in as much camping before school and the summer ends.

I think u will find all kinds of campgrounds to choose around Chilliwack to stay a day or two while u check out the trailer systems. And heading east back to your home in September easpecially if u take the southern route (highway 3) will be truly EPIC and u should be able to get lots of campsites. You'll just have us retired folks out there.

Camping eastward in September is wonderful.
We're lucky enough to work remotely so we will be hanging out with all the retired folks! We successfully skipped this winter and we're looking forward to skipping it again next year.
mdnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:18 AM   #45

Trailer: 1976 Trillium
Can someone explain this in more detail. I would be boondocking often so which is best for me.

Dual 6V Batteries* (225 amp hrs) $275.00
Inverter 1500W Includes 1 Additional 120V outlet.* This option will require Dual 6V Batteries $650.00
Inverter 1500W Includes Transfer Switch and all outlets
* This option will require Dual 6V Batteries$950.00

Also if you upgrade fridge size should you get a fridge fan?
Treeax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
My responses inline:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeax View Post
Can someone explain this in more detail. I would be boondocking often so which is best for me.

Dual 6V Batteries* (225 amp hrs) $275.00 Dual 6V batteries connected in series results in 12V output. But, the amp hour rating for these 6V batteries is 225, which is more than the single 12V battery offered as stock. This means more available power than with a single 12V battery. You can boondock without dual 6V batteries, but the more amp hours at your disposal, the better.

Inverter 1500W Includes 1 Additional 120V outlet.* This option will require Dual 6V Batteries $650.00 The purpose of the inverter is to change DC battery power to AC household type power, in order to supply an AC outlet. If you won't be using any AC powered appliances, there is probably no need for an inverter. Escape only installs the 1500W inverter along with the dual 6V battery option.

Inverter 1500W Includes Transfer Switch and all outlets
* This option will require Dual 6V Batteries$950.00 The transfer switch for all outlets means the system will automatically supply AC power to all AC outlets when the inverter is turned on. Without the transfer switch, the only outlet that is powered when the inverter is turned on is the one on the inverter itself. Note that these additional AC outlets are optional.

Also if you upgrade fridge size should you get a fridge fan?I don't think fridge size really matters regarding the fan, but generally a smaller fridge has an easier time cooling than a large one. There is less interior volume to keep cool. The fan is supposed to assist the fridge in evacuating hot air behind it, and aid the absorption cycle. If you intend to camp where the ambient temperatures are hotter, the fan may help the fridge cool.

Also, if you are going with dual 6V batteries and intend to do frequent or longer term boondocking, consider solar power as well. You will have a ready source for recharging your batteries without hookups, as long as sunlight hits the panel. Depending on the time of year, in locations where we have direct sun, our batteries are replenished from the previous evening's use by about 10 am. This means we can boondock as long as the food and water hold out.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ye, I agree solar and dual 6 volts is an ideal set up. Inverter choices are dependent on your use requirements of the set up.You do not have to option the inverter as there are a lot of 12v appliances.....see what the truckers use 12 Volt Appliances at RoadTrucker.com
Old 02-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #48

Trailer: 1976 Trillium
Thank you both!

So with no inverter, the AC plugs won’t work if I’m boondocking correct. But there is still ac plugs in the trailer for when I’m hooked to power. How many DC plus are inside? And where is it/they located. I see option to add more.

And does the inverter use power to work as well?
Treeax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Thank you both!
So with no inverter, the AC plugs won’t work if I’m boondocking correct.
Correct. You'd have no means of inverting the power to AC.
Quote:
But there is still ac plugs in the trailer for when I’m hooked to power. How many DC plus are inside? And where is it/they located. I see option to add more.
The exact locations of the stock plugs have changed from time. So, the best source for this info is to ask Escape directly. As for the optional plugs, whether 12V or 120V AC, the locations are entirely up to you. Think about where and how you will use any devices, and plan the plug locations accordingly.
Quote:
And does the inverter use power to work as well?
The inverter uses DC (battery) power. It takes existing 12V DC input, and turns it into 120V AC output.

One other thing to keep in mind with an inverter. They aren't 100 percent efficient, which means they "waste" some power in the inversion process. This will draw down your batteries in a hurry. The most common use for an inverter when boondocking among Escape owners is to run the microwave. Be aware however that the batteries take quite a hit when doing this. The best way to reduce your power consumption when boondocking is to use DC appliances, so no inverter is necessary. And, have a source for replenishing the battery power you do consume - like solar, which I mentioned above.