Which Trailer Did You choose and Why? 5.0 or the 19Ft Trailer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #1

Which Trailer Did You choose and Why? 5.0 or the 19Ft Trailer?

Hello All,

I was curious why you purchased the 5.0 versus the 19 Ft trailer and/or vice Versa. I've been led to believe that towing a '5th wheel' is easier than a regular tow. Any insight or comments?

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
TurtleBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Re: Which Trailer Did You choose and Why? 5.0 or the 19Ft Trailer?

I pulled a 17 for several years. The grandchildren are old enough to join us and the 17 would not sleep 4. The Fiver will sleep all of us. I have been pulling it for 2 days (expert!) and have found that it turns a little inside the truck, so I have to allow more room. It takes a bit longer to respond when backing and I am still learning. I spent about an hour practicing in a Safeway parking lot in Chilliwack that turned out to be a 12 lane shortcut. It was interesting. On the road it wasn't much different from the 17.
Dick
Old 06-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #3

Hi Capt Math,

Great to hear from you. It sounds like everything is going well on your adventure.

Thanks for the perspective on the two types of Tows. I've done neither. I don't anticipate the need to sleep 4, but one never knows.

Would love to see the new rig once you have returned home.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: TurtleBax... I have only ever towed a 13' Boler(2yrs.) and the Escape 5.0.(4yrs.) The older I get, what I like about the 5.0 is not having to bend and stretch when hooking up. All hitching is done at shoulder height...in the box of the truck...and the towing& hitching is a more positive...CLANK... plug in, check the lights, that's IT... due to the location of the hitch over the axle.
The feeling of the trailer not being there is great... but as captmath writes you still need to be aware and leave a bit more room to allow for the trailer off tracking behind you. I'm used to off tracking as I drive 40'straight & 65' articulating transit buses in a city of 350,000 people daily!!!
Fuel islands and mall parking lot curbs can be a bit tricky, with any trailer, till you master the learning curve!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #5

We chose the 5.0 for the space. The 19'er is really only about 17' (+ or -) long while the 5.0 is a full 19'. Deb and I and three good-sized dogs need the floor space.

The 5.0 imposes some limitations you may not like:
First - you must have a pickup truck and you lose some storage space offered by SUVs. On the other hand, we came back from a 9 day trip, didn't have to buy food, had all the clothes we need and all the stuff and junk I have to have, and still had empty shelves!
Second - The truck you need is fairly limited. A full-sized pickup may not fit under the loft of the 5.0
Third, I found the 5.0 more difficult to park than our old 17' Casita.

We love the 5.0 and like it even more every time we take it out. My parking skills are improving and its a peach to tow. It does track inside the truck, but that's just a matter of "learning the curve"

I highly recommend the 5.0

Dave
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Geo

We perferr the 19"
Hooking up is a breezes.
Alot lighter than our old stick built trailer.
No steps going up to the bed, wife has troubles with stairs.
My truck box is left open for stuff.
If I had to do it again, I would keep it the same!
Tomorrow we Escape to Thunder Bay Ontario, with the Escape 19', car top boat and stuff in the box:-)
George
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

Hi Dave and George,

Thanks for your responses!
I'm glad to know you would choose the same set-up again, what you found easy/a bit difficult. Also the perspective with dogs and the floor space was a welcome one. One dog here currently, with hopes of eventually another One or Two.

It sound like there is plenty of space in both. 9 days with no restock sounds great. I doubt we'll have much more time than that per trip anyway.

I expect there to be learning curve, but since I've never towed, I won't know the difference. (may be good or bad .) I don't have a Tug yet, as I need to pick the trailer first, so the insight about the trucks was something I didn't know.

It sounds like I really can't go wrong with either/any Escape. It is fun shopping, but not as much fun as when I actually get one, which ever one that may be.

George, Enjoy your Thunder Bay Trip.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
Old 07-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I don't have either one, but boy do I lust for a 5.0. For me, it because the bed is in the front and the dinette is in the back (among alot of other things). With my Scamp I back into some beautiful sites with great scenery. I love looking out the back window during meal times and have something other than the back of my truck to look at. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #9

Trailer: No RV for now.

It seems that there are positives and negatives to any trailer choice and you just need to look at your own priorities. We have owned a number of different trailers and a couple of 5th wheels. We liked the space in the Escape 5.0 and also like the fact that the bed has space on either side, therefore eliminating the need to crawl over your partner at times. However, we opted for the 19ft for a number of reasons; we like having the flexibility of tow vehicles and did not want to have to get a truck as a tow vehicle; we wouldn't have much use for one otherwise at this point. We also like having the space in the tow vehicle (truck or otherwise); with a fifth wheel, there is little or no use of the truck bed. The fifth wheels that we had were easy to pull and easy to hitch up, but the 19ft. Escape is a dream to pull and due to the tandem wheels, it is easier to back up than most trailers we have had. There is a large area for light weight storage under the queen bed in the 19ft. Our kids always slept in tents when they traveled with us; they liked having their own space away from us. We have also used the back of a pick-up with a canopy as an added place for sleeping at times when we towed trailers. Both of these Escape trailers (5.0 and 19ft.) have lots of space and are easy to tow.
Linda
Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #10

I'm thinking 5.0.. like Donna said you back into many a beautiful locations.. I also think it cut's down on "the size of the tow", by that I mean, when we towed our AS (which was 19ft) between that & our truck (and WDH) we were close to 40ft in total length.. I think the 5.0/truck combo would be smaller.. Also I think the 5.0 has more counter space.. and my final thought- look at what Tammy & Reace bring to the rallies..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

JeffZ:

For the curious:

Escape 5.0 (Reace and Tammy)

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #12

I've actually been able to pack a lot of *stuff* (read: hardware box, tools, lawn chairs, etc) in the truck bed when towing. As long as nothing is loaded higher than the sidewalls of the truck, only the actual "footprint" of the hitch interferes with truck-bed-space.

Dave
Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

I find the bed on the 19 footer works well to prop up some pillows, relax, read and and enjoy the views. I agree most sites end up with a better view from back end of the trailer, but that seems to work out fine as we are busy eating or engrossed in a game while sitting at the table in the front end. With the bed at a usable sitting height from the floor and plenty of head room, the bed is very functional. Before purchasing the Escape I had read several posts sharing opnions about the benefits of models with the table in the back for optimal viewing, so was expecting this to be a compromise with the 19. But instead I found that the view from the 19' works out very well. Really the Escape trailers seem to have a healthy amount of window coverage, so you can't go wrong.

I find the 19' is easy to tow. It has plenty of storage, particularly with the front cargo box for easy access to blocks and chocks when setting up.
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)

There are no bad choices here. Either trailer would be terrific.

We had a 17' Casita and we have a 5.0 on order. Since the 5.0 was designed off the Escape 17, we will have about the same living area we had before, plus the addition of the bedroom. As Donna mentioned, the scenic rear dinette was frosting on the cake.

We will tow with a full-size F150. This is all theory so far (we pick up later this month), but a lot of time spent measuring pickup beds and lengthy conversations with Reace led us to believe either a Tundra or an F150 should fit fine. Ask me in two weeks!

Marv
Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
I'm thinking 5.0.. like Donna said you back into many a beautiful locations.. I also think it cut's down on "the size of the tow", by that I mean, when we towed our AS (which was 19ft) between that & our truck (and WDH) we were close to 40ft in total length.. I think the 5.0/truck combo would be smaller.. Also I think the 5.0 has more counter space.. and my final thought- look at what Tammy & Reace bring to the rallies..
My Nissan Crewcab Frontier is 14'6" from the tip of the front bumper to square over the rear axle (which is where the 5.0 starts), and Hokie is 19'6" to her rear bumper. So that makes the total length with 5 passenger seats...34 feet. We love the fact that the bed runs long wise on the 5.0 which eliminates having to crawl over one another (which has it's own pluses I have to admit). When you are up in the "bedroom" looking back to the dinette, it's a full 19 feet inside, about 2 feet or more longer than the inside of the 19. That being said, the 19 is a little wider and with the tandem wheels (which cost you more for upkeep and tolls) it pulls like a dream, I've been told. I do appreciate not having to fiddle with the WDH anymore. Only way I would trade in my 5.0 is if Rease built a new one that was a little wider (like the 19). We love our 5.0, but so does all the 19 owners...can't go wrong either way.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I don't think you'd go wrong either way. I saw Deb's & Chuck's 19 footer shortly after it was hatched. Dang impressive! I work in a windowless environment and for 43 years I haven't been able to see outside (M-F) that's part of my need to have scenery when I camp.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

I bought the 19' because we always have our kayaks or a canoe on top of the tow vehicle which we couldn't do with 5.0. Since staying at places were we can get out on the water is one of the main reasons that we go camping, it was an easy choice for us. If we didn't want to take the boats, I definitely would have bought the 5.0. In my opinion, 5th wheels are easier and safer to tow. I also I think that the 5.0 is a lot better looking than the 19. It is only 4" narrower but it looks a lot sleeker and has better lines than the 19 which is a bit boxy in appearance.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Thought I'd pipe in, for what, I know not.

There was no 19 when we bought the 17B. There was a 5.0, but that never entered my mind, even though I intended to buy a Tacoma for the tow.

Have to keep in mind where we were coming from. We had had a tent trailer for almost 20 years. I bought it second hand for $900 ( I offered a thousand, but the seller countered with $900 - a friend of mine ). Sold it for $650 when we got the Escape.

So, the step up to the 17B was substantial.

Gas prices were already an issue in 2008 so I was looking for a trailer that was light weight and could be towed by a vehicle that would get good mileage, not just when I was towing, but the rest of the year. It had to serve my basic daily needs and still be up to the job for towing.

Took the Tacoma for a test drive and the Old Bag pointed out that we would be too old and decrepit to climb up into it in a few short years. She had that right. And the Tacoma didn't cause my heart rate to increase by even a beat, so one Saturday morning, I went up to Safeway to buy ribs and came back with a Toyota RAV4 Sport, with 269 HP and 18 inch tires ( just remember that when it's time to buy snow tires ).

We've had the 17B for three years and the last couple years have traveled together with our friends in their 19.

When it's pouring rain, we'll eat dinner in the 19. Old Bag has noted that there is more space for kitchen prep ( even though I do the cooking, and mostly outside ). The 19 weighs more, but he seems comfortable towing with a Hyundai Santa Fe ( with fewer horse power than the RAV ). They have a permanent bed and a four-seat dinette. We have only recently decided to set up the bed in the rear of the 17B as a four-seat dinette each morning rather than eating at the two seat dinette in the front.

Considering all, I'd opt for the 19' if I were doing it again, but I have no intention of selling my 17B and upgrading my tow. I would only consider the 5.0 if I could justify a dedicated tow vehicle.

Gas prices are only going to go up, so keep that in mind when choosing a trailer and tow. It comes down to what you can afford and what it's worth to you.

We had twenty great years in that tent trailer.

baglo

Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #19

I wanted a trailer that was easy for my wife to handle if anything happened to me. After owning 5 Bigfoot's none were easy to tow or hook up. The 19ft has everything we needed in a trailer from the queen bed to the 4 person dinette. We had 5 people inside for dinner one night. I can not use the public showers anymore the 19ft bathroom is roomy enough to bathe in. Just finished a reorganization project in the trailer everything in its place and easy to find. All the trailer stuff goes in the front box.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Both are great trailers and offer some similar and other different features.

I opted for the 19 because;
- I do not have to use a pickup, and instead could use my SUV, eliminating the need for another vehicle.
- I using the SUV, I can carry lots of stuff in the back, including the dog and all the gear we would want with us when away from the trailer.
- I could carry a canoe with me too.
- even though only 4" wider that the 5.0 it seems so much more.

Pretty much the only thing I prefer with the 5.0 is the front bed for easier entry/exit, though having to climb over your spouse has its benefits too.

I MUCH prefer the bed with the big windows at the back allowing for great views from the bed.. The dinette still has great windows for when you use it. The thing is, our dinette almost never sees any use other than for storing stuff on, or when the weather is very crappy. We mostly cook and eat outdoors, play games there, and much prefer the view from our 'living room'. As long as it is above freezing and the wind is not howling, we are outside. Being outdoors is the reason we go camping in the first place.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote