Why did you buy 19 instead of 21, or vice versa? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The 21 was still on the drawing board when we ordered our 19. If I had to do it over I would still go with the 19 because of the queen bed and its overall nice overall size.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The 19' was a better fit for us than the 21' (although 21' had not yet been announced when we ordered our 19'. I personally prefer small, and was really impressed by the 15B when we toured the factory. I also liked the 5.0 and am sure that I would love the 5.0TA. Maybe the thing to do is to get one of each.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Seems like most of you had a tougher time deciding than my wife and I! We're moving up from 4 person back pack tents to the 19'! The last few years my wife has camped with me less and less due to being uncomfortable with sleeping on the ground. We compared specs of the 17B & 19. Once we saw the 19 with the queen bed, it was a no brainer. Within 2 weeks, we had purchased the TV (Acadia) and 10 days later the Escape was on order. Almost 1 year from order date to when we start traveling with it, but we can't wait! To our eyes, the 19' looks huge!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
The 19' was a better fit for us than the 21' (although 21' had not yet been announced when we ordered our 19'. I personally prefer small, and was really impressed by the 15B when we toured the factory. I also liked the 5.0 and am sure that I would love the 5.0TA. Maybe the thing to do is to get one of each.

That's how I'm starting to feel!
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
One thing not often stated in the replies is how many occupants the trailer needs to hold. If it were just my wife and I, I think the 19's layout is perfect and I like the bed further from the door and to be queen sized. However, with a couple of young children coming along, we also need to find places to put all their stuff. Since we like hiking, mtn. biking, canoeing and fishing while we camp, there's a lot of stuff for 4 people! Also the larger dinette means more elbow room as well as a larger bed for the two kids to sleep on. That's why the 21 makes more sense for us, but I do get the sense that most here are looking for a trailer for 2 and again for that, I think the 19' would be ideal.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
One thing not often stated in the replies is how many occupants the trailer needs to hold.
Quite true. When our kids were young and came with us, we had a 24' bunk model sticky. We never fully used all the storage in it, but it was nice to have their bunks separated off from the rest of the trailer. We did still have a dinette to sit at when they were in bed though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For me the introductory pricing and other discounts made the 21' comparable to the 19' dollar wise. In addition after using the 19 for a year, I realized that I wanted some changes that could not happen in the 19', like the rear dinette with the 3 window view, less windows around the bed for better warmth in the winter, a bigger bathroom, a newer model refrigerator. Plus now an oven. I'm a happy camper.
The downside is the sales tax outlay for the exchange.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #28

Everyone's great feedback really makes me re-evaluate my own decision. FWIW, I chose the 19', but I can still switch to the 21'. I think I'll note my thoughts here, get them out of my head, and see if they make sense once written down ( if they don't make sense to you, lemme know!)

- 21' kitchen is awesome! 19' kitchen is doable.

-21' bathroom is very big and very nice with the power fan. A tiny but important aspect to me is that the shower curtain overlaps the door closure minimally (2-3"?). With my family, and with the shower head also being close to the door closure, water would surely end up outside the shower on the floor and that would drive me nuts! The 19' bathroom is certainly fine enough (wish there was a fan option).

-One of our criteria is to have 3 separate sleeping quarters. 19' has this with the cot. Reace could alter the 21' front bed into 2 permanent bunk beds for me, so this is a push. Well, it would be awfully nice to tumble into those bunks!

-Another of our criteria is how liveable the trailer is inside. We'll be spending most of our time outdoors. However, we live in the rainy PNW, and we want to also explore colder weather camping, so we're considering what the trailer will be like to spend time inside. It seems like a U-shaped dinette in the rear of the 19' would be an extremely spacious and luxurious living area, particularly if the table and pedestals were taken down. The 21' is wider and longer which is very nice, but the rear dinette of the 21' is less spacious and feels that way to me.

- The making/unmaking of the dinette beds in the 19' could get tiresome, but if we're spending time in the trailer I think it would feel better without a large, permanent bed.

- The 19' is a smaller, lighter package. That appeals to us, we're minimalists.

- There are pros and cons for each trailer. I think my ideal would be a trailer with the permanent front beds and the giant rear dinette. Since I can't get both of those features at the same time, I decided I can live without the permanent beds of the 21' but I can't live without the giant rear living area of the 19'.

That's me. j
Old 10-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jamie,
I'll post pictures of the "U" shaped dinette in the 21' soon, to help you decide.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The rear area of the 19' is 60x80. The rear of the 21' is 48x86. I don't see losing a foot one direction and gaining six inches the other direction as much of a difference. At least it wouldn't be the main decision on which trailer I wanted to purchase since either can have a u-shaped dinette.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
My wife and I spent 101 days camping in our Casita SD this summer. We made the rear dinette into a bed at night and dinette in the morning. For naps we made it to a bed at mid-day and then back to a dinette after the nap. 60 days of that was ok but then it became tiresome. We love that big dinette but we decided for long trips that full time bed and a full time dinette (even if the dinette is a little smaller) would be better. So that is why we are looking hard at the Escape 21.

The next issue is space. If you camp for long periods that space can start to work on you. We hike and bike and spend a lot of time outdoors but there's all kinds of things that drive you inside if you are on the road long enough. We looked at the 19 and didn't feel it added enough space to make the leap from our current camper so that is why we think the 21 or 5.0 would work.

John
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #32

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
At the 2012 Bandon Gathering Norma announced she'd like more space than our current 17B for when we retire and are able to stay out on longer trips. We wanted a full time bed and bigger dinette.
I mentioned to Tammy we'd be talking to them in a year or so and she hinted at the coming 21' trailer... I thought "Great! used 19' trailers will be hitting the market!".
Bandon 2013 -
Once Norma walked around the 21 Tammy and Reace had there, it was hard to get her to even look at a 19', despite the great deal on lightly used 19' Escapes that started to appear.
It's hard to describe how the slight extra length & width change the feeling of the layout, but we can pass by one another easily. The extra width of the aisle and space around the bed seem to mean a lot to the livability of the small space & we feel this will be especially appreciated on longer trips in cooler locations.
The bed is smaller than the 19, but I won't have to crawl over her to get up first & its still bigger than the 17B.
It turns out, after being in both, its the 21 for us.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #33

Jamie, your reasoning sounds sound. Do you have 3 kids, thus needing the 2 separate sleeping areas?

Other than I think it looks cool, what is the advantage of having a U-shaped dinette? Wouldn't you have to have a much smaller table top? Plus, the corners would not really afford a good place to sit, as they would be too far from the table. Those of you that have this option, how many can you comfortably sit to eat? With the regular dinette in our 19 we seat four with lots of room for food and wine bottles. We have even put a fifth in using a chair at the end one time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #34

Thanks very, very much to everyone for their input and any future input! I really appreciate it, and it challenges my thoughts. Either trailer will be fantastic, it's terrific to have 2 beautiful options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Jamie, your reasoning sounds sound. Do you have 3 kids, thus needing the 2 separate sleeping areas?

Other than I think it looks cool, what is the advantage of having a U-shaped dinette? Wouldn't you have to have a much smaller table top? Plus, the corners would not really afford a good place to sit, as they would be too far from the table. Those of you that have this option, how many can you comfortably sit to eat? With the regular dinette in our 19 we seat four with lots of room for food and wine bottles. We have even put a fifth in using a chair at the end one time.
Jim, we only have 1 kid, but my wife has health problems and often sleeps in her own bed at home, so we thought we'd better maintain that option in the trailer. The rear U-shaped dinette option is what provides 3 separate sleeping quarters (i.e., plus the front dinette bed and cot).

The rear dinette does not have to be U-shaped, but neither do the side benches need to be 5' long as a regular dinette. Either shape would be fine for our family plus 1 or 2 people. As you say the U shaped option looks cool, and would be very comfortable and functional for us. The extra 12" of the rear dinette area is a 25% increase in space, and window size, which makes a sizeable difference.

The U shaped table will be smaller: 35" vs 42" for the front dinette (both 30" wide), but still perfectly useable for our small family. I've seen a U shaped option for the front dinette, and it's not for me (found it less functional, table too small, less spacious). I've been in the 21' and its rear dinette just doesn't seem to appeal to me either.

Again, thanks for taking time! I felt a little indulgent posting my long winded post, but the follow up comments are helping me ! j
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #35

oops, made that last reply to Jim in a bit of a rush. Read it afterwards and it sounded a bit redundant, but the gist of it is there. Thanks Jim. j
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Again, thanks for taking time! I felt a little indulgent posting my long winded post, but the follow up comments are helping me ! j
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
oops, made that last reply to Jim in a bit of a rush. Read it afterwards and it sounded a bit redundant, but the gist of it is there. Thanks Jim. j
You did a fine job of explaining all your reasoning, Jamie. You also seem to be able to see through all of our biases towards what we chose, and I have no doubt you will be able to make a final decision that works best for you.

A side thought, a bit off track, but still in the same vein;
What about a third option for a dinette? Running a bench all the way along the back for seating, you could easily fit 4 across without the side benches. You could then a narrow aisle to access the two tables, one on each side opposite the bench. Great idea, eh? Not so good for 4 people playing cards though. :
Old 10-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A side thought, a bit off track, but still in the same vein;
What about a third option for a dinette? Running a bench all the way along the back for seating, you could easily fit 4 across without the side benches. You could then a narrow aisle to access the two tables, one on each side opposite the bench. Great idea, eh? Not so good for 4 people playing cards though. :
I like your style, Jim, taking the rear dinette customizing to the next level! j
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I like this thread. But I think we need to put things in perspective. The 19 has been on the market since 2009, the 21 arrived this month. Remember we are just reading a report on the third unit built, and for all practical purposes the first five were built this month. There has not been the time to digest the new model, especially by those who previously owned a 19 and can make a valid comparison.

That said, the comments have all been right on, we have some great logic as to which model is preferred. The readership will certainly be aware of the comfort features of the two units after finishing this thread.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote