Why did you buy 19 instead of 21, or vice versa? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 19'
Why did you buy 19 instead of 21, or vice versa?

Hi, hope this post isn't repetitive. I saw other comparison posts, but not 19v21.

Why did you buy 19 over 21, or 21 over 19? I realize it depends on your unique needs. The 19 obviously saves weight and space, but the 2 prices are very similar and either size might work for me. I was just wondering what people thought when shopping and comparing?

For me, on the 19 I would get a rear u-shaped dinette, and the cot option up front. I think the rear dinette would create a very nice living space, but there's the issue of always making/unmaking the bed.

The 21 has more counter space in the sink/stove area, which is nice. The 21 is very spacious inside compared to the 19.

I was contemplating if the 21 could be made with 2 permanent bunk beds, oriented as the original bed is, instead of the original bed, . If possible, what would you think of that layout?

Thanks for your time! j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

Trailer: none
Although I seriously considered a 21, I chose the 19 because I could get the U Shaped dinette in the rear with my bed up front. I don't cook, so I didn't need a larger kitchen space or refridge. So I was able to get exactly what I wanted without spending the extra dollars which I spent on options anyway.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
With our Tundra (regular cab and 8' bed) tow vehicle the 21' Escape would have exceeded the 40' overall maximum length specified in our favorite National Lakshore and National Park campgrounds.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 17B
I was planning on the 19, like the less weight but there is more floor space for the dogs with the 21. Actually, I would have liked the 17 if I were critter free.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 E21
We would have preferred the 21 for extra storage space but wanted a full queen-sized bed more.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My wife and I were seriously looking at the 17B, but when we saw the 19 with a queen size bed, we were sold! We were fortunate that we needed a tow vehicle. 2 weeks after seeing the 19', we had a new TV, and 10 days later, we put a deposit down. Escape will be completed on Jan. 2, and we will pick it up in early May wirh a two month break in trip.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Went with 21 for the following reasons:
More space for four people to move about if stuck inside.
Dinette would have more elbow room for playing games at the table.
Larger dinette also means larger bed for the kids.
More counter space.
The dresser at the end of the permanent bed has more counter space, a place for me to toss my camera bag and leave my laptop (for photo editing) on the charger.
More storage space: mountain biking, canoeing and fishing gear for four takes up a bit of space.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it. Any more feedback would be much appreciated. j
Old 10-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
It's nice to have five attractive Escapes to choose from.

We chose the 19' because it has the same 6'5" headroom as the 21' (I'm tall), plus a bigger bed. Also, the additional weight of the 21' would have put our 4Runner closer to its 5000# towing capacity.

There are only the two of us, so we didn't feel the need for the extra elbow room in the 21'.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Not sure yet

My wife and I came here from a 17' Casita that we loved, but like so many others, wanted more room. We saw our first 19' Escape at a rally and fell in love, again. With the queen size bed, the always up 4 person dinette, and the extra space, our dreams had been fulfilled. After much procrastination, (we don't make decisions quickly) Escape announced the 21. Now we had more to think about, and of course more delay. We like the location of the bed in the 19 and the fact that it's a queen, but we like the kitchen better in the 21. My wife has always missed an oven since we moved from stick built to fiberglass and that option works much better in the 21. The 19 still feels like the perfect size for national parks and the smaller locations we seem to visit, and we know our Honda Ridgeline will tow it, but that kitchen in the 21 and that extra space is soooooo enticing. So what was our decision and did we make the right one? I don't know if we made the right decision, but our 21 will be delivered next week, production trailer #3. We may never know if the 19 would have been better for us, but we're committed now, and plan on having fun with our choice. We've already booked the fiberglass gatherings in April (Oregon) and May (Washington). The few gatherings we've attended have introduced us to some very nice people with the same interests - fiberglass trailers/5th wheels, and of course the great outdoors. It just adds another dimension to camping that we love. Hope to see you all there and continue this great adventure.
Tom and Arlene
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Queen size bed, floor plan and weight. We prefer the bed in the rear.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned a 19' and waiting for my 21' here is my $.02 worth. More counter space, larger bath room with powered vent, windows on one side only of bed, more o/h storage, rear "U" dinette, larger refer, more lower storage, more floor space, larger holding tanks, larger wheels and frame, digital thermostat for a/c and heat, weight and price differential were minimal.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having owned a 19' and waiting for my 21' here is my $.02 worth. More counter space, larger bath room with powered vent, windows on one side only of bed, more o/h storage, rear "U" dinette, larger refer, more lower storage, more floor space, larger holding tanks, larger wheels and frame, digital thermostat for a/c and heat, weight and price differential were minimal.
Thanks again everyone for your comments. I'll appreciate as many as you can give.

Jim, I agree with your "upsell" points.

I thought on the 19' I would go for the U dinette, but on the 21' I'd leave it regular to keep more length on the table. I suppose the table loses about 10"? It turns out I might be able to have 2 front bunks instead of 1 bed, which would work great for my family, but I'm still not sure I'd like the beds up front instead of in the rear.

Thanks all for your comments!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
We currently have a 17' EggCamper which is the same width as the new 21' Escape, (which we have on order). This is four inches wider than the 19' Escape. This might not seem like much, but it is important to my somewhat claustrophobic wife.

We looked at a 19' Escape at one of the rallies and I was very impressed. Because of the center bath I think that it has an ideal layout for people traveling with children; it offers a relatively high degree of privacy for bathroom use for those sleeping in either end. However, that center bathroom also cuts into the feeling of openness that my wife demands. I didn't mind the cozy feel, but my wife did, and said she didn't feel comfortable inside it. I'm a bit over 6' 4" and there was enough headroom, (although my hair did rub the insulation in the ceiling), but again, I'm not the claustrophobic one - I was comfortable with the three inches less headroom than in the EggCamper.

We always wanted a trailer a little bigger than our EggCamper, and when the new 21' Escape came out with the same width as our EggCamper, and had an end bath, she agreed to our putting in an order for one.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I am waiting for the 21XL25 due out in 2015.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We looked at both but decided on the 19' for a few reasons. First, we plan on using our trailer to supplement our travels rather than as a destination vehicle. We tend to travel from Point A to Point B to Point C and so on, as opposed to going to one place and parking for a week or more. Which brings us to our second reason which is the bed size. Having slept in a double bed for years when we were first married, the thought of spending nights in anything less than a queen wasn't appealing to us. And last, we liked the idea of having some "wiggle room" with the weight ... even though our Tundra could pull the 21' with no problem.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Having only seen pictures of the 21 online I can can only offer my initial thoughts . I have studied the 21 online fairly extensivley and feel as with most things in life there are pros and cons to both trailers. The 21 offers a much more open floor plan with a very nice amount of inside storage and counter space. The part I am not sure on is the sleeping arangements. I have never slept as well in a trailer as I do in our 19 ft. I ushaully get a feeling of confinement or claustaphobia with the cabinets right above my head, But I don't in the 19 ft. I suspect it is due to the windows on all three sides and the proper queen bed. I just havn't been able to get over possibly giving that up. I fear that the front bed in the 21 with the solid bathroom wall and solid front of the trailer wall will make it feel like I am sleeping in a box again. perhaps one day when I get to see a 21 in person I can check it out. Just my initial thoughts ...
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a front window option, I believe for the 21' Escape. One is in the oven as we speak.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am no real help. I bought the 19 because there was no 21. Heck, there wasn't even a 19 built yet when I put down my deposit.

There are some nice things about the 21, some of which would be nice like being a bit bigger given more room for cabinets and floor, but I much prefer the layout of the 19 with the bed away from the door, and being a full queen size too. The 19 really does work great for us, and I would not upgrade to the 21 myself. Now, the new 5.0TA, maybe when I retire.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Ditto on the bed arrangment for the 19. I love the idea that there are three windows -- Our tent had huge windows on all four sides. And we needed the queen size.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote