WiFiRanger - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 12:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
WiFiRanger

Need help, my build sheet is due tomorrow. I'd like to get a wifiranger but not sure which is best. The mini Pack or the Elite FM. The Elite FM has more range but is a bit pricey. What do I realistically need? Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Well, I ended up getting the mini pack so I'll let all you know how it works out. Won't be until November when I pick my trailer.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Interested to hear how it works out! I got a weBoost Drive 4G-X for our build, and I was going to get a WiFi Ranger as well, but we decided that since we're going to be using an unlimited data plan, we didn't want to spend the extra money on the WiFi ranger.

I've seen a couple reviews of it on YouTube, and on Technomadia, but I'm curious to hear how it helps your reception as well. Be sure to report back!
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Anyone know of any issues with having all these antennas in close proximity? Radio, cell, WiFi, tv...
Old 08-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Anyone know of any issues with having all these antennas in close proximity? Radio, cell, WiFi, tv...
I believe my Weboost roof antenna had some specifications about distance for other antennas. It ended up a couple of feet from my Sirius and CB antennas but still worked really well.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I am using a JefaTech router with a hi-gain antenna. Works well in campgrounds with useable, but weak signals. Or give out only one free password.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
Interested to hear how it works out! I got a weBoost Drive 4G-X for our build, and I was going to get a WiFi Ranger as well, but we decided that since we're going to be using an unlimited data plan, we didn't want to spend the extra money on the WiFi ranger.

I've seen a couple reviews of it on YouTube, and on Technomadia, but I'm curious to hear how it helps your reception as well. Be sure to report back!
Totally!
Old 08-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Fortunately mobile networks and WiFi are both at such high frequencies that wavelengths are short compared to the size of antennas, and they should be okay quite close together... not so much the case for TV (especially the lower VHF channels) or broadcast radio.

I would also be interested if anyone is having spacing issues.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've had less problems with antenna spacing than the cable runs. My cell amplifier cable ran parallel to the FM antenna for about 2' & using the cell amp blanked weak FM stations. I switched locations so the cables don't run parallel, and have not had problems. My XM radio antenna replaced the TV antenna, the FM & Cell antennas are about 3' apart.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks Jon
Old 08-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've had less problems with antenna spacing than the cable runs. My cell amplifier cable ran parallel to the FM antenna for about 2' & using the cell amp blanked weak FM stations. I switched locations so the cables don't run parallel, and have not had problems.
In addition to attention to routing, it would help to use cable with better shielding... unfortunately it's hard to tell how effective the shielding is when buying cable as a consumer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
I'm curious to know about the power drain from the weBoost 4G-X amplifier. Have you noticed any problems with it draining your trailer's battery? I'm assuming it's mounted in the trailer; please correct me if I'm wrong.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #13
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm curious to know about the power drain from the weBoost 4G-X amplifier. Have you noticed any problems with it draining your trailer's battery? I'm assuming it's mounted in the trailer; please correct me if I'm wrong.
Our build completion date is at the end of September. I'll report back then. [emoji1]
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #14

Well, okay. Is anyone else using the WeBoost 4G-X now and can give info on how its current draw affects the the trailer's batteries?
Old 08-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Mike, ours is the Sleek 4G, but I think the hardware is identical and thats just the old name. Haven't noticed ANY impact on the batteries.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #16

The 4G-X is not a "cradle" amp like the Sleek (I think that is now called the 4G-S). It is WeBoost's latest multi-phone wireless amp that connects to external and in-vehicle antennas. Previous versions have been discussed on the forum, the main complaint being that the amplified signal was weak so the phone(s) had to be near the in-vehicle antenna. I was hoping someone now has the 4G-X and could give an idea of how it affects the trailer's batteries, especially when left on 24/7.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While probably an unfair comparison, I had the previous Wilson amplifier installed in my 17B when I bought it in 2011. Running on 12V, it drew 2 amps 24/7. While my panel put most of that back, I did unplug it when not using it if I was dry camping.

As to the trailer coverage, Mike's complaint was true for me. Technically, the booster with the inside & outside antennas had more gain than a Sleek, but in reality I get more gain with a Sleek. To get even close to the gain of the Sleek I had to rubber band my USB cell stick or phone to the inside antenna. Any further than about 4' - 5' away from the inside antenna resulted in no gain over the phone or hot spot alone. The only advantage was the ability to use it with both AT&T & Verizon phones & hot spots, even at the same time.

Can't say what improvements have come about with the new WeBoost version other than it covers 4G LTE...
Old 08-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
I suggest looking at the reviews on Amazon for the WiFi Ranger, they were not very good.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote