window choices - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 2017
window choices

Being relatively new to RVing (and to this forum) we are working on the specs for an Escape 19. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the thermal window choice. The regular slider windows appear to be better for airflow but I don't have any experience with them, or the thermal tip out.
Thanks for your opinion
JeffO4297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO4297 View Post
Being relatively new to RVing (and to this forum) we are working on the specs for an Escape 19. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the thermal window choice. The regular slider windows appear to be better for airflow but I don't have any experience with them, or the thermal tip out.
Thanks for your opinion
Hey Jeff, Welcome! Lots of prior discussions. Do a "Search" for windows on previous threads and be prepared to read lots of opinions. I think it's generally agreed that the sliders open wider to allow more air movement, but they have the potential to let rain in. The new awning style are better at keeping rain out when open, but they may not allow as much air flow. A few owners have had a problem with one or the other of their new awning style not sealing completely shut, but I believe ETI had a quick fix or replacement for them. Let the discussion begin (again).... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 2017
thanks, I will
JeffO4297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO4297 View Post
Thanks for your opinion
For what it's worth Jeff: If I were having an Escape built today, I'd go with the frameless thermal windows everywhere I could put them - hands down.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I plan on having the thermal frame less windows installed specifically for insulating value and the rain issue. Had old style sliders and will never go back.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I plan on having the thermal frame less windows installed specifically for insulating value and the rain issue. Had old style sliders and will never go back.
+1

just my 2c

I was in a 21' escape on a hot day a while back, and it had the new frameless awning style windows, and there was plenty of air moving thru, even with no real breeze to speak of.

Plus the roof fan is always an option, plus opening the rear window as well.... and the door.

but some people prefer the sliders, and that is fine. Nice to have the choice.

I remember many times when camping in our Casita (with sliders) that rain in the night woke me up, and i had to close a sliding window.... nice the awning style should somewhat reduce this happening...
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jim reports no more black streaks, that's a check mark on the new awning style side of the ledger. I know you're having a 19 built but for the 5.0TA folks I've read the dual pane loft windows in awning style now open, which they do not in the framed style, a big check mark for the awnings if true. I'd check that with ETI.
The 2 issues above are my only gripes with the framed windows, I'd go frameless if I were doing it again.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We are going from sliders to frameless mainly because of the rain issue. But they look great too and the back window opens on the frameless.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #9

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
FWIW we are going frameless also. The look and the opening rear window sold us. On our 21 we love having light and are getting the front window also.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The new awning style clean look to be honest is my main reason for going for them. They should perform at least as well thermally too, perhaps better. There are so many opening windows in an Escape, ventilation is never an issue.

One thing I keep hearing touted is that awning style is better in the rain. Who opens windows when cold and rainy anyway. We may crack one and put the MaxxFan on low to vent humidity, but rarely is a window open much at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Where I live, very seldom when it rains is the wind not blowing.. huh Jim . So opening windows when it rains is a non-starter for me. I just turn on the MaxxFan and open the bathroom window. Don't care if the bathroom gets a bit wet, but don't want the upholstery, bed or blinds to get wet! YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #12

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
In Houston, opening the windows during summer isn't something we treasure - rain or not! However, in the spring and fall we often have rain when the temperature is great. Being able to open the window in those times will be nice. I plan to get the frameless windows so I have choices. I also totally love the idea of back windows that open!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #13

I guess I have not used an RV in hotter climates, but does it not cool down when it rains? I know when in places like Mexico, rain is a welcome thing bringing temps down to a moderate level, though the humidity for a while after is intense.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We've never had a camper with a built-in ventilated range hood before, so to those of you with real world experience, how much can the range hood vent (designed for air leaving the camper when the hood fan is turned on), which is shielded on the outside from rain, contribute to ventilating the camper when the MaxxFan is running (and pulling air IN through the hood vent when the hood fan is turned off)? Does that even make sense?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
We've never had a camper with a built-in ventilated range hood before, so to those of you with real world experience, how much can the range hood vent (designed for air leaving the camper when the hood fan is turned on), which is shielded on the outside from rain, contribute to ventilating the camper when the MaxxFan is running (and pulling air IN through the hood vent when the hood fan is turned off)? Does that even make sense?
The fan in the hood is very noisy, but yes you can clothes pin the vent cover open and have the maxxfan pull in air, or you can skip the stove vent and do the same with frameless awning windows. Having had both style, I'm happiest with the newer frameless windows, they make the trailer look more modern, they eliminate the black streaks one always has with the old style windows, they all open in the rear whereas the old style do not, they can be used in the rain, whereas the old style can not, the list just goes on and on....
Old 11-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Where I live, very seldom when it rains is the wind not blowing.. huh Jim .
I most certainly learned this lesson well.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We had a framed awning window installed at the kitchen. We use it everywhere, hot or cold weather. It can be hot as heck in the south and still hot as heck with rain and no wind. That even goes for the Midwest in summer. If windy, it can be opened only slightly and will still work. We only need one window open and the fan, but we do open the bath window, too. I don't see any need for more than one awning window as far as condensation in a small trailer. Between it and the fan, that seems to work.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Besides the reasons already listed, we are going with the frameless to reduce condensation on the metal frames, With the metal frame covered on the outside by the glass and seal, there should be less heat transfer thru the frame. We do a lot of shoulder season camping and the metal frame around the slider windows were a major source of moisture in cold weather.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote