Windows: Opening versus Non-Opening - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Thanks cpaharley2008.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Not an option. But a easy mod.

They dad drilled a few holes in the emergency handle and used a pin through the holes to hold the window open.

Here is their video. The window mod is at 1:58

Escape 5.0 Modifications and Walkthrough - YouTube
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Hum bummer.

I was thinking it would slid into the window and not require permanent mounting.

Jim,
I guess the question is do you plan to mount it in your escape or do you find the existing ventilation good enough?
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Right now I'm happy with the ventilation during rains. I have learned to open the awning just a little, maybe 1-2 feet and it keeps the rain at bay without worrying about wind gusts and I have my stove vent opening which is waterproof. With it and the Maxxfan I do not feel the need for a window and the Maxxair.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Karen, thanks so much for your post on opening vs non-opening windows from Oct 2012. My wife and I have just finalized the build sheet for an Escape 19. Initially we were going to go for the opening window. But then after reading your post and looking again at photos (both yours and other photos of windows in Escape 19s) we came to the conclusion to go with the non-opening window. We feel that the much brighter window (no frame in the middle and no screen on the bottom) outweighs any additional benefit of providing more ventilation.
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Remember that, when looking at photos of the kitchen window, you're focusing on that one particular, small window ... not the trailer as a whole. With all the other windows in the Escape, the light from the kitchen window pales when comparing it to the rest of the natural light sources (don't forget the door has a window too). The fact we can open the window in the rain plus the good ventilation it provides makes us extremely pleased we opted for the opening window.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
For us, the opening kitchen window is used more consistently than any other single window in the trailer. Have never noticed any obstruction of light from the frame, probably because as said above, the other windows provide lots of light. If we did it again, I would still choose the opening window.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We love the opening windows in the kitchen & bath, would not be without them.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
It's nice to be able to talk to someone outside on the patio without the need to open the door, especially if my hands are all wet and soapy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 15B
When the Maxxfan is operating in the blow-out mode, I've found that opening the window slightly in the kitchen creates a nice breeze through the Escape. Sort of acts like an exhaust fan.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
The kitchen and bath opening windows are 2 options that really are worth the extra . As said before kitchen window is used the most . The bath is very handy also when dumping black tank - you can feed a hose through window to flush tank .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Alot of our original decisions about options were made without consulting people who had actually used them. The opening vs non-opening window was one of them. After talking to lots of folks with the opening window, they wouldn't be with out it. That changed our mind.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It wasn't an option when we bought, but seriously, it has never been an issue. Lots and lots of ventilation available without it. If buying now, I would likely forgo the option. Rarely have we had more than two of our 5 venting windows opened at a time anyway.

I also prefer the weather seal a fixed window gives over a slider. Not that much of a difference in our trailers, but every bit counts.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
For us, the opening kitchen window is used more consistently than any other single window in the trailer. Have never noticed any obstruction of light from the frame, probably because as said above, the other windows provide lots of light. If we did it again, I would still choose the opening window.
We wish we had the opening one. I think it is a little bigger than the non-opening. We looked at the view issue with someone's opening window and decided it was not a problem, at least not nearly as much as not being able to open that window.

I first thought I preferred non-opening because of the double pain but now want opening.

As ice-breaker says, the kitchen window may be used the most for the simple reason that that is the one you use when up and about and preparing food and more. Some people have replaced the non-opening with opening and like the opening one better. if the awning happens to be up and it's raining, that window is covered.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Opening kitchen window

It didn't take us long to decide to add the extra kitchen window to the 17B we just purchased used. Can't have too much light in the trailer. Having migrated from a Boler 13, which has lots of windows & light, and shopping the current crop of lightweight/compact trailers before finding the Escape, we were discouraged by how dark and "dungeony" all of them were. One RV salesperson offered the opinion that eliminating windows was a significant cost-saving measure in a marketplace driven primarily by shoppers' budget constraints.
After considering all the pros & cons expressed on this site (thanks everyone for your thoughts), we opted for the opening window. But my wife nixed the idea of the bathroom window.

Lotar.
maurerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
It didn't take us long to decide to add the extra kitchen window to the 17B we just purchased used. Can't have too much light in the trailer. Having migrated from a Boler 13, which has lots of windows & light, and shopping the current crop of lightweight/compact trailers before finding the Escape, we were discouraged by how dark and "dungeony" all of them were. One RV salesperson offered the opinion that eliminating windows was a significant cost-saving measure in a marketplace driven primarily by shoppers' budget constraints.
After considering all the pros & cons expressed on this site (thanks everyone for your thoughts), we opted for the opening window. But my wife nixed the idea of the bathroom window.

Lotar.
Windows do add cost, but in the Case of Escape, I think it's negligible. We LOVE the opening window over the sink. Since the bottom tilts out when open, we pretty much leave it open all the time. Nice cross ventilation with the Maxx Fan.

We also love the extra light by having the bathroom window. It also makes it handy to run a hose through the window and attach it to your tank wand when you want to clean out the black tank. No running a hose through the front door. It's a frosted window, so there's no privacy issue.

I would definitely recommend both an opening window in the kitchen and another in the bathroom for anyone looking at their options sheet.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Might have missed one. Will call Crystal in the morning and ask about the window opening over the kitchen counter. The 21 build sheet might not be complete yet. You keep reading about things that other people wouldn't be without and aren't on the official build sheet of options, so it makes for hard choices. As for other things, I say better to have and not need than need and not have. Loren.
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #38

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Opening kitchen window is standard on the 21s....
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The more windows the better IMHO.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Once again, it's a matter of camping style. I have enough windows that open for ventilation (five) so the enhanced view and incoming light are a no-brainer for me.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote