Wired for backup camera - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We use it primarily to verify when passing a truck that when we can clearly see all of the front of the truck that we are really past it and can pull back in.
Not really following this need, Bill. The mirrors provide me with this view too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Here is the RAM floor mount, and the mount holding a 10.5-inch Samsung tablet. One of these floor mounts might work for someone who wants to get their rearview camera screen off the dash.
I like how that keeps it out of you line of view through the windshield. I think anything like this would be preferable to what that video showed.

I have used my phone with Google maps with the phone set on the console, and am not really keen at looking down at it while trying to navigate though, especially in places like eastern NJ with the myriad of turns to be made.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Here is the RAM floor mount, and the mount holding a 10.5-inch Samsung tablet. One of these floor mounts might work for someone who wants to get their rearview camera screen off the dash.
Hi Mike looking at your dash , there are so many variables . Our dash is straight across with no humps . There are a couple of pockets cut into dash . So our moniter doesn't 't block our view at all . Love also that the speaker works so well , I can hear leaves crunching when my partner is behind guiding me into spot . I guess if moniter was larger I would look to bring it down lower . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
The dash in my Tundra has an indentation in it and the back-up screen sits right into it so it does not block my view of the road. I donot use it for watching traffic in back of me while driving. Do not want or need that distraction. Thats what my mirrors are for. Its not as easy to use it as I thought it would be, maybe after i use it more. Or maybe i've just been backing up with my mirrors to many years. I do like the sound on it, cause i can hear what my wife is saying and it keeps her from saying bad things while doing her funky chicken imitation.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Am I the only one who finds this camera view terribly distracting (and taking up a big part of the front window real estate) and takes away from focusing on the traffic in front...the actual traffic situation that the driver can respond to in order to prevent an accident?
I would hope that the driver doesn't miss that kid running out after a ball in front of the car.
I think that these are important points, but I also note that the posted photo in post #23 (a single frame of the YouTube video that I didn't bother to watch) is taken from a very different position than the driver's eyes. From the driver's viewpoint, it should be blocking much less.

I have a 7-inch GPS display in the motorhome, sticking up partially above the dash, and it doesn't block the view of anything, due to the sightlines from the driver's seat. The huge high hoods of current pickup trucks (which are that high for styling, not any functional reason) obscure anything close to the front of the truck, and a huge screen could probably be added low above the dash and block the driver's view of nothing but hood.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have used my phone with Google maps with the phone set on the console, and am not really keen at looking down at it while trying to navigate though, especially in places like eastern NJ with the myriad of turns to be made.
In situations like this (and at other times) I have a Garmin GPS on a weighted stand that I sit on the dash and use in concert with CoPilot on the tablet. I usually have one set to navigate and the other set to just display a map, and have the maps at different scales or perspectives. When one screws up she's fired for the day (both nav apps have female voices) and I switch to the other one for navigation.

When driving cross-country sometimes I set both devices to navigate and let them argue with each other. Keeps me company.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I've done that, and while it is not reasonable to look at the phone down there, I just use it for the spoken directions (either from the phone's speaker or via Bluetooth through the car's speakers, depending on vehicle). I wouldn't depend on just spoken directions without looking at the map first to get an idea of the route, but it's always a good idea to look at the route before starting, even with an ideally visible map display.

Recently I have used both the phone (for spoken directions) and a dedicated navigation device (Garmin GPS) on a dash-top mount (for a map), because the phone's map data is current (downloaded from a web service as needed) and the Garmin's is a bit out of date. There are lots of ways to make things work.

There are mounts for anything, so the phone can be placed just like a dedicated navigation device. I know a guy who glued a dime on the back of his phone and a stong magnet on his dash, and mounts his phone that way (yes, coins are mostly steel); it works remarkable well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote