Wired for backup camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Wired for backup camera

I would like a backup camera and have read on the forums that the wireless camera has some downsides - slow to refresh and less that clear screen. Has anyone had Escape wire their trailer in build so it is set up for a wired camera? Did you send it to them or is it a generic wiring that different camera systems can connect to?
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
I would like a backup camera and have read on the forums that the wireless camera has some downsides - slow to refresh and less that clear screen. Has anyone had Escape wire their trailer in build so it is set up for a wired camera? Did you send it to them or is it a generic wiring that different camera systems can connect to?
Since many of the camera sellers use different connectors for their systems, it is probably best to choose one & send Escape a cable from your manufacturer of choice. You will need a system that provides a flexible connection between the trailer & tow vehicle...
Old 10-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
What may be important to you is that very, very recently ETI (makers of the Escape) switched from what they had been using to a completely new manufacturer - the RVS brand. ETI says they are happy with it's performance.

You can see reviews of it here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014728I4Q

Note that one of the very negative reviews had a * metal * trailer... and fiberglass would be, i think, much more forgiving for letting the needed info to pass thru it properly.

Note - the camera and transmitter are all one piece, so you can't separate those two things.

FWIIW we will have a 21' (2017) with this actual RVS camera in early 2017, so I can post a review here.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
I would love to go with the wireless if I can find one with good performance.... this one might be the ticket. I look forward to your review!
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I would love to go with the wireless if I can find one with good performance.... this one might be the ticket. I look forward to your review!
We got the RVS camera on our June 2016 5.0TA. Works well. It might be a little off sync when driving down the road at highway speeds, but when backing up, it does the job well. It blinks once in a while but not often enough that I would give it a "do not get" rating. We like it.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
We got the RVS camera on our June 2016 5.0TA. Works well. It might be a little off sync when driving down the road at highway speeds, but when backing up, it does the job well. It blinks once in a while but not often enough that I would give it a "do not get" rating. We like it.
great to hear!

hoping it works the same with our SUV and 21'

Old 10-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Interesting - I returned a wireless Rear View Safety camera system as I didn't like the flicker.updating; sent a TADI system that worked better to ETI before they standardized on TADI.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We brought Escape a new wireless Voyager system to install . Worked great until last trip , it wouldn't work at all , after 9 mo storage .Just had to replace the whole system because the camera was toast , my replacement camera was 350 . Bought their complete new wireless system for 500 . Found out if my 12 volt power was on , my camera was on . That is what burned it out . I installed a on and off switch on my camera . Now if I am not using my camera ,it is off . Usually these camera's are installed at clearance lights so the camera will be off if , you have your lights off on TV . That would be your on and off for your camera . Because where Escape picked up my 12 volts , the 12 volt power was always on . Hope this helps someone else because this was a expensive lesson for us to learn . And we are understandably ######. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Found out if my 12 volt power was on , my camera was on . That is what burned it out .
I don't understand this conclusion at all, i.e., why having power to it all the time actually ruined the camera??
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I don't understand this conclusion at all, i.e., why having power to it all the time actually ruined the camera??
I was told the camera is not supposed to be on 24 hours etc.It needs a rest . for example , our camera was on for days , 24 hours a day . The moniter of course was off in TV . The camera was continually receiving power , even though we weren't using it . When we had trailer covered , power was always on to camera . If your system is installed to clearance lights that operate with your headlight off and on , that is the ideal installations , . You don't have to worry . Your lights are off , your camera is off . Ortherwise the way ours was installed , there needs to be a off and on switch to be able to cut the 12 volt power . Pat
Old 10-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My iPhone is on all the time, and I mean 24/7 for years. It has a camera. Phone is smart enough to go to 'sleep'.
Backup camera is normally wired so that it only comes on when the vehicle is in reverse.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I was told the camera is not supposed to be on 24 hours etc.It needs a rest . for example , our camera was on for days , 24 hours a day . The moniter of course was off in TV . The camera was continually receiving power , even though we weren't using it . When we had trailer covered , power was always on to camera . If your system is installed to clearance lights that operate with your headlight off and on , that is the ideal installations , . You don't have to worry . Your lights are off , your camera is off . Ortherwise the way ours was installed , there needs to be a off and on switch to be able to cut the 12 volt power . Pat
The camera gets a little warm also . Took a almost a month to get this figured out . The best part was cutting the vinyl in the cabinet and getting access to the 12 volt line for the camera . Glue all over everything . Not a fun job . Now have access to line and made a cover over line so it won't get damaged with things in cabinet . If this is others installation trying to save a headache .This camera can last a lot longer even 9-10 years .Pat
Old 10-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #13

As of now ETI wires the backup camera so it is on when your headlights (running lights) are on.

I like this.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My iPhone is on all the time, and I mean 24/7 for years. It has a camera. Phone is smart enough to go to 'sleep'.
Backup camera is normally wired so that it only comes on when the vehicle is in reverse.
Glenn I am not even going to answer you about our situation . . Hopefully your camera doesn't burn you or catch on fire . Maybe turn it off . Pat
Old 10-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
As long as it's not a Galaxy Note 7, Glenn should be fine. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
As of now ETI wires the backup camera so it is on when your headlights (running lights) are on.

I like this.
Wish they had wired ours that way . That is the ideal installation . Pat
Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
As long as it's not a Galaxy Note 7, Glenn should be fine. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I was being a smart ass ! Pat
Old 10-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Actually, I have a new iPhone 5s. The iPhone 5 that I had, started to come apart when the battery became swollen, likely from using one of those cheap 12V/USB chargers.
That same son-in-law that polished my Escape, picked up the 5s for $170 ( including charger and earbuds ) and then replaced the iPhone 5 battery for $11, and sold it on Craig's list for $140 ( without the charger ).
Old 10-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post

I like this.
If you tow with a 2016 Tacoma, you might not like this. My Tadi camera is wired this way which works fine except the Tacoma display dims when the lights are on. You can get the main part of the display to stay at "daylight" levels using "Settings", but the display has a row of "display buttons" along the outside edges that dim to the point where they are almost impossible to see when ever the headlights are on.

Even with the dash display adjuster (which adjusts the outside part of the display) at full brightness, they are very dim. So far, in the 4" thick, 5 book set of manuals, I haven't found a cure. For example, I have to shut off the lights to find the radio "scan" button...
Old 10-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
I have a backup camera on my current trailer. It's OK for backing up but not satisfactory for rear viewing when traveling. This is because the angle is so wide, I can't see vehicles behind me until they are right on my bumper. How well does the one installed by ETI work for rear viewing when traveling?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote