Would like to see a 17' in person - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Trailerless
Would like to see a 17' in person

Hi. My wife would like to see a 17' before we purchase. We live in the Santa Maria area of central California. We are retired so we can accommodate your schedule. Thanks in advance.
Up2speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2speed4 View Post
Hi. My wife would like to see a 17' before we purchase. We live in the Santa Maria area of central California. We are retired so we can accommodate your schedule. Thanks in advance.
The best way to get in contact with owner willing to show is to give ETI a call. ETI can provide you with names and phone #s of people in your area.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
The best way to get in contact with owner willing to show is to give ETI a call. ETI can provide you with names and phone #s of people in your area.

View ours if you want a little road trip.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #4

I got responses from 19ft Owners (thank you santacruzer) but no 17ft referrals nearby have responded so I posted on the forum.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Oregon Gathering

You may wish to check out the Oregon Gathering in Bandon from July 19-21. While there are many kinds of fiberglass rv's there, I will be in a 17B, and will be happy to show it off. I imagine there are others who have ones as well and there are tours (voluntary) on Saturday the 21st.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
You may wish to check out the Oregon Gathering in Bandon from July 19-21. While there are many kinds of fiberglass rv's there, I will be in a 17B, and will be happy to show it off. I imagine there are others who have ones as well and there are tours (voluntary) on Saturday the 21st.
I will plan to attend. Thanks so much.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #7

Trailer: none
You may want to pop into the fiberglass rally not to far from you at Lake Casitas in late October. We plan on visiting in hopes of seeing some Escape trailers as well. More info here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tas-84081.html
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

Sandra L. May I ask you, is your 17B much smaller than a 19? I toured a 19 and it seemed huge.. I was hoping the 17 is a little lower in height as well as shorter. Hoping its nimble and easy to manuver and pull. Also thinking of permanent bed and just use the smaller dinette for meals. Do you feel its roomy enough for two vertically challenged seniors?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
View ours if you want a little road trip.
I wish. We try to get back there every Fall and stop for a great breakfast sandwich at the Woodstock Farmers Market.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #10

Just sold a 2015 17B Escape

To answer your question about a 17 B being roomy enough for 2 seniors... our answer is no, unless that is all you can afford or tow safely. We are seniors and have decades of rv-ing under our belts and we just sold our 17 B ( only bought it to use while our 21 ft. was being built), and picked up our new 21 ft. last week. Ours had the permanent bed option in the back. We both agreed it is just too tight. BTW we previously had a Escape 19 ft. so we have experience with that model too.

You need to call Escape Trailers and they will tell you someone in your area to contact that is happy to give you a tour- that is how it works.

Deb
trlqwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Up2Speed4:

My wife and I have owned a 17B since Aug. 2015. We spent much of our pre-trailer life backpacking. We find the 17B to be more than adequate for our vacationing needs (up to 3 week trips so far). We are relatively small (she is 5'1" and I'm 5'8"). Trailer camping is pretty deluxe compared to backpacking! We generally leave the rear dinette set up as a bed and eat at the small dinette.

Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Up2Speed4:

My wife and I have owned a 17B since Aug. 2015. We spent much of our pre-trailer life backpacking. We find the 17B to be more than adequate for our vacationing needs (up to 3 week trips so far). We are relatively small (she is 5'1" and I'm 5'8"). Trailer camping is pretty deluxe compared to backpacking! We generally leave the rear dinette set up as a bed and eat at the small dinette.

Dave
Thanks Dave. We found we were using our 22 ft box trailer as a mobile motel room for sleep and a quick breakfast before we hit the hiking trails for the day. It seemed to be getting just too big and clumsy. Wife insists on a permanent mattress though. If small dinette seats two, its all we need. I’m 5’6”, she’s 5’2” so 17 sounds like a winner.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Sandra L. May I ask you, is your 17B much smaller than a 19? I toured a 19 and it seemed huge.. I was hoping the 17 is a little lower in height as well as shorter. Hoping its nimble and easy to manuver and pull. Also thinking of permanent bed and just use the smaller dinette for meals. Do you feel its roomy enough for two vertically challenged seniors?
I just saw your question....the 17B was towed with a 2005 Toyota Sienna, and until it was way past the 200000 mile mark, I had to remind myself the Escape was behind me, except for in the steep inclines, because it was not noticeable.
I used an equalizer hitch, and never had any sway issues, plus it was even more stable than my minivan alone when I was passed by humongous trucks.
I think you received good advice to tour ones near you, so you see what it is like. I primarily used it by myself....and with friends it did get a bit tight at times..but my daughter and son-in-law just love it. I also am a bit vertically challenged so it is great for me.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I just saw your question....the 17B was towed with a 2005 Toyota Sienna, and until it was way past the 200000 mile mark, I had to remind myself the Escape was behind me, except for in the steep inclines, because it was not noticeable.
I used an equalizer hitch, and never had any sway issues, plus it was even more stable than my minivan alone when I was passed by humongous trucks.
I think you received good advice to tour ones near you, so you see what it is like. I primarily used it by myself....and with friends it did get a bit tight at times..but my daughter and son-in-law just love it. I also am a bit vertically challenged so it is great for me.
Great to hear, thanks.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I was starting over, I'd get the 19 instead of my 17B.
In the classic, the aisle is wider, making it easier to pass another. In my 17, I step into the area at the door, so my wife can pass.

The 19 has a four-person dinette at the front. We always end up in my buddy's 19 when doing dinner together, or when playing cards.

Of course, he's been looking at the 21.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlqwen View Post
To answer your question about a 17 B being roomy enough for 2 seniors... our answer is no, unless that is all you can afford or tow safely. We are seniors and have decades of rv-ing under our belts and we just sold our 17 B ( only bought it to use while our 21 ft. was being built), and picked up our new 21 ft. last week. Ours had the permanent bed option in the back. We both agreed it is just too tight. BTW we previously had a Escape 19 ft. so we have experience with that model too.

You need to call Escape Trailers and they will tell you someone in your area to contact that is happy to give you a tour- that is how it works.

Deb
Yes thank you. I called Escape but 17 owners in my area did not respond. I just sold my 3rd travel trailer, a 21 ft. Flagstaff box trailer, and like the smaller size of the 17. I like the light and nimble look and hoping to take it off road with my Jeep.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Yes thank you. I called Escape but 17 owners in my area did not respond.
You may have to expand your search. When I was looking for an Escape, I had to travel about 100 miles to Sacramento to see a 19 and 80 miles to San Jose to see a 17. Ask them for owners a little farther north. I know there is a 17 in Petaluma and San Jose and you can see my 19 in Santa Rosa. Closer than Chilliwack.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
One thing the 17 requires the person sleeping in the "inside" position to do is climb over the other person to get out of bed at night. If that doesn't work for you you should consider the 21 and even that doesn't give you a bed with access from both sides. If getting into and out of bed is difficult for you, you might consider a Lance trailer that has smaller models with "north/south" beds.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:

Tim,
We have a 17A, in Ventura County, about 90 miles away. Instead of the bath, we got a permanent full bed w/8" mattress in the front. That leaves the dinette in the rear to seat four (like we did last week in the eastern Sierras when we got a day w/ 3" of rain). (We had ETI give us a cabinet under the bed that fits our porta-potty).

We tow with a Honda Pilot, and can turn around in the 50' street in front of our house. We can get into the very smallest of campgrounds. The 17B sounds like it could certainly suit your needs. I'm 5'10" and I just clear the A/C unit bottom at the ceiling.

I'll PM you, in case you want to drive down 101 and see.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:50 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We have had a 2007 17b for 3 years now, absolutely love it. Before my recent trip I was thinking about a bigger trailer, but when I got home I realized this is the best trailer for us. We just pulled it 6000 miles, towed really well and was great on gas. We pulled it over Loveland Pass Colorado, at 11,000 ft, spun it around in a crowded Vail coffee shop parking lot and campgrounds always have room for you. Sure it’s small, but the trade offs are worth it, really, we spend most of the time outside, we put up a large dining shelter if we’re going to be there a couple of days. Besides, bigger trailer means Cummins.