A "cure" for jet lag? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
We will do that. We got the same deal Eric and Mary got -- 1/2 price tickets and $95.00 airfare round trip. Then added on a week on our own.
I'd better not mention this thread to my wife or she'll be booking tickets. What a deal! She's mention those cruises previously.

I've done the whole Rhine in my own boat but it might be nice to let someone else do the driving for a change.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'd better not mention this thread to my wife or she'll be booking tickets. What a deal! She's mention those cruises previously.

I've done the whole Rhine in my own boat but it might be nice to let someone else do the driving for a change.

Ron
Especially don't tell her our deal then.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Hi Ron. May I ask who you booked through. I cant seem to find any deals like that. THANKS, pETER
peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Especially don't tell her our deal then.

And don't let her find out that wine and beer are included in the price!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Hi Ron. May I ask who you booked through. I cant seem to find any deals like that. THANKS, pETER
My own boat, I didn't have to book with anyone. Had to go through France and a few hundred locks to get to the high Rhine though to be able to go down the Rhine. Going up wasn't an option, that river really moves.

Crew lines up at the rail to greet you when you return to the ship? Hmm, no one did that for me

Ron
Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Peter, I can't speak for Ron, but we've done both our bookings directly with Viking. If you go to their website, request info you will get on their mailing list - and get snailmails with offers WAY too often. I think we got both our cheap deals because we were completely flexible on travel dates. I think they want the cruise filled as far ahead as possible and offer remaining dates on specific deals to make sure every cabin in full.

FYI - I stopped mentioning the deal we got to other passengers as no one that I talked with on our cruise got anywhere near the same deal. I think the ones who booked thru travel agencies paid a lot more than we did.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #37

Quote:
My own boat, I didn't have to book with anyone. Had to go through France and a few hundred locks to get to the high Rhine though to be able to go down the Rhine. Going up wasn't an option, that river really moves.

Crew lines up at the rail to greet you when you return to the ship? Hmm, no one did that for me

Ron
Ron, I got to chat with our captain a bit, a wonderfully friendly Dutchman who grew up on one of the small family run barges we saw all along the Rhine. A young sailor was learning the river from him. He said that they Rhine is broken into sections, and they have to pass a test on each section. When they have passed every test they qualify to captain a commercial vessel on the Rhine.

You may like the pictures below, most likely looks a bit different from your captain's chair view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0552.jpg (222.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0550.jpg (242.9 KB, 7 views)

Old 09-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Oh my. That food looks so good!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #39

Yes, the Rhine does have it's own rules and requirements. Once I got used to the "Blue Board" rule the rest was easy. Basically the oncoming vessel gets to call the shots on which side you pass. It would almost be like driving on the road and having the oncoming car wanting to take the inside of a corner, putting out the blue board, and you'd switch sides of the road. Does take a little getting used to, especially when there's more than two vessels involved.

You're right about the view. I was carrying a 50' mast on deck. Added another level of stress maneuvering in close quarters in crowded locks.

Ron
Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Once I got used to the "Blue Board" rule the rest was easy. Basically the oncoming vessel gets to call the shots on which side you pass.

Ron

OK, I'll ask. How does one decide which boat is the oncoming vessel? Your or him?