A "cure" for jet lag? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
That looks scrumptious!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Eric, thanks much for your comments. We are off to the Danube in Nov. for a Viking River Cruise. Late in the season, but dirt cheap tickets, so a good chance to try this out.

All of our other travel has been independent where we have figured out where to go and what to see. This will be the first time we are on an "organized" tour, and I have been a bit nervous since I like a bit of spontenanity every day...
Leon - we are going to be on the Danube, later in Oct into early Nov. They gave us less than 1/2 prices tickets and totally free round trip airfare - how could I turn it down! You will love it - the boats are technological marvels and the crew (for ours) was a great group of friendly helpful young people from all over the globe. The Rhine trip was also our first organized tour.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Fall is a great time to travel Germany and surrounding places ...a bit less crowded , Viking also has a Christmas Market cruise . Last time we were over we rented a vacation ( 800 yr old) house within the fortress wall of Dilsberg ( very close to Heidelberg ) on the Neckar River In ( Sept/Oct ) . Works really well as a base from which to go in any direction , no set tour .
Old 09-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... this mix cures everything.
1- Stein of German Lager
1- Raw egg cracked into it.
Drink it all!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

Sheesh Alf ......that kind of gross .....
Old 09-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
1- Raw egg cracked into it.
Europeans and North Americans take different approaches to the management of salmonella contamination in eggs - so perhaps it makes sense to go for this in Germany
... but not here.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I won't be cracking any raw eggs into beer here, but the eggs here are fantastic. Orange yolks instead of the pale yellow ones we get in supermarkets stateside, and much more flavor. Just had a couple here at my hotel. Basically the food here is superb.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:07 AM   #27

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Let me know how the river cruise works out I've wondered what they were like
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Let me know how the river cruise works out I've wondered what they were like
Me too!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:57 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We will do that. We got the same deal Eric and Mary got -- 1/2 price tickets and $95.00 airfare round trip. Then added on a week on our own.

One of the things I like about our trailer is that it allows us to be spontaneous. Last winter, we set off for California. When we got to Ft. Smith AR, the weather to the west was bad so we decided to head a bit further south to Dallas. After we stayed near Dallas for a couple of days, the forecast was for freezing rain and high wind so we went to Austin. In Austen the weather sent us south to San Antonio. We ended up in Big Bend, and never made it to California. But still had a great time. We saw many wonderful things -- but different than the wonderful things we expected to see when we started.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Carl and Fox Hunt,

The one we already took, on the Rhine, was amazing. The professionalism and organization of every Viking employee we dealt with our cruise was impressive. I wanted to bring some of the staff home with us and have them teach American youngsters how to be friendly, fun and provide great service. Picture below is the crew welcoming us home after a day of local tours.

I'm not a serious food critic, but to me it was living in a very high quality restaurant. Every meal was excellent. Good quality beer and wine are free with dinner - our nightly free beer was usually German. I can't speak for the wine, but Mary said the nightly free choices were always very good.

Daily tours were in smallish groups 25- 30 and always used local knowledgeable guides. There was always the option to just head out into the city on your own, catching the Viking coach buses into and out of town on a regular basis or walking when we were docked close to downtowns. Extra cost tours were also offered most days.

There are only about 200 guests on the boats, so people I met who had been on ocean cruises (we never have been) said that this was a this a far more pleasant experience. Nearly everyone we dined and hung out with said that they were planning to do another - just like Mary and I are!

Viking is building 5 or 6 new boats that will be starting cruises up and down the Mississippi in a couple years. Our nearest city, La Crosse, is hoping to be one of their stop over places.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0475.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
We will do that. We got the same deal Eric and Mary got -- 1/2 price tickets and $95.00 airfare round trip. Then added on a week on our own.
I'd better not mention this thread to my wife or she'll be booking tickets. What a deal! She's mention those cruises previously.

I've done the whole Rhine in my own boat but it might be nice to let someone else do the driving for a change.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'd better not mention this thread to my wife or she'll be booking tickets. What a deal! She's mention those cruises previously.

I've done the whole Rhine in my own boat but it might be nice to let someone else do the driving for a change.

Ron
Especially don't tell her our deal then.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Hi Ron. May I ask who you booked through. I cant seem to find any deals like that. THANKS, pETER
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Especially don't tell her our deal then.

And don't let her find out that wine and beer are included in the price!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Hi Ron. May I ask who you booked through. I cant seem to find any deals like that. THANKS, pETER
My own boat, I didn't have to book with anyone. Had to go through France and a few hundred locks to get to the high Rhine though to be able to go down the Rhine. Going up wasn't an option, that river really moves.

Crew lines up at the rail to greet you when you return to the ship? Hmm, no one did that for me

Ron
Old 09-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #36

Peter, I can't speak for Ron, but we've done both our bookings directly with Viking. If you go to their website, request info you will get on their mailing list - and get snailmails with offers WAY too often. I think we got both our cheap deals because we were completely flexible on travel dates. I think they want the cruise filled as far ahead as possible and offer remaining dates on specific deals to make sure every cabin in full.

FYI - I stopped mentioning the deal we got to other passengers as no one that I talked with on our cruise got anywhere near the same deal. I think the ones who booked thru travel agencies paid a lot more than we did.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #37

Quote:
My own boat, I didn't have to book with anyone. Had to go through France and a few hundred locks to get to the high Rhine though to be able to go down the Rhine. Going up wasn't an option, that river really moves.

Crew lines up at the rail to greet you when you return to the ship? Hmm, no one did that for me

Ron
Ron, I got to chat with our captain a bit, a wonderfully friendly Dutchman who grew up on one of the small family run barges we saw all along the Rhine. A young sailor was learning the river from him. He said that they Rhine is broken into sections, and they have to pass a test on each section. When they have passed every test they qualify to captain a commercial vessel on the Rhine.

You may like the pictures below, most likely looks a bit different from your captain's chair view.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0552.jpg   IMG_0550.jpg  

Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Oh my. That food looks so good!
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #39

Yes, the Rhine does have it's own rules and requirements. Once I got used to the "Blue Board" rule the rest was easy. Basically the oncoming vessel gets to call the shots on which side you pass. It would almost be like driving on the road and having the oncoming car wanting to take the inside of a corner, putting out the blue board, and you'd switch sides of the road. Does take a little getting used to, especially when there's more than two vessels involved.

You're right about the view. I was carrying a 50' mast on deck. Added another level of stress maneuvering in close quarters in crowded locks.

Ron
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Once I got used to the "Blue Board" rule the rest was easy. Basically the oncoming vessel gets to call the shots on which side you pass.

Ron

OK, I'll ask. How does one decide which boat is the oncoming vessel? Your or him?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote