Almost Camping Season - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Almost Camping Season

My northern friends will laugh at this, but it's almost camping season for us in the deep southern US. Maybe 4 to 6 weeks to go. Good news is that what I consider camping season lasts about 8 months here.

Can't wait to get out there, once the summer heat wanes and the evenings are cooler. Now, to find the time to go!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
My northern friends will laugh at this, but it's almost camping season for us in the deep southern US. Maybe 4 to 6 weeks to go. Good news is that what I consider camping season lasts about 8 months here.

Can't wait to get out there, once the summer heat wanes and the evenings are cooler. Now, to find the time to go!

Hi: rbryan4... Which storage cupboard do you look in to find the "Time"!!! LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not quite the same, the season for us starts in Sept and runs thru about June. Of course we have to head down your way for the winter.

Most of the folks up this way stop for the year in about Oct and resume in late May.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:

Sorry, Robert, but I am laughing. The 8 months to which you refer I consider short-term "do other activities season," which may include an occasional short RV trip. It's the other 4 months I consider "camping season." That is when I hook up and venture on extended trips to the more northern lattitudes where I can continue doing the outdoor activities I have been doing for the previous 8 months and my T-shirt, as during those 8 months, does not get sopping wet with perspiration.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Well yeah, if you're going long distance to camp Carl, all bets are off. I was just talking local. Camping in November, December and January in south Texas is downright pleasant.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
vacations

I totally agree with Carl .Summers are for camping and getting away from Florida's inferno . We usually do a few camping trips in winter weekends etc .We can't wait to pick up our new 21 Going to Goshen Indiana for pickup. Next Summer exploring Maine and Eastern Canada .

BTW there is room for 2 more trailers on that load Tammy I'm doing my part to fill up those loads . Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
Site Team

When would you camp locally in Florida? I think my point was missed.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
My northern friends will laugh at this, but it's almost camping season for us in the deep southern US...
Au contraire, Robert. With the one unusual exception of heading out with my son and family this week, my camping begins with Labor Day and ends with Memorial Day, December being the only month with no camping for me. An old saying: There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear.

Camp on!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #9

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
camping Florida

There are so many State Parks and RV Parks in Florida
Example in the Keys= Bahia Honda at the end of 7 mile Bridge, Boyds in Key West

Google : State Parks in Florida We usually get to a few within a 5 hour drive of Naples in the winter . Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Au contraire, Robert. With the one unusual exception of heading out with my son and family this week, my camping begins with Labor Day and ends with Memorial Day, December being the only month with no camping for me. An old saying: There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear.

Camp on!
Yes, but HEAT can change that. Believe me. I like it cool or cold when camping. 100 degrees and relatively high humidity means spending way more time inside the trailer, and that means hookups. Not really my idea of camping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
There are so many State Parks and RV Parks in Florida
Example in the Keys= Bahia Honda at the end of 7 mile Bridge, Boyds in Key West

Google : State Parks in Florida We usually get to a few within a 5 hour drive of Naples in the winter . Jim
You're making my point for me. Plenty of local places to camp in Florida- it's just that the ideal time to do so is the opposite of our northern friends.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #11

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
Feel sorry for you guys in Texas. I had to drive thru the long star state and I thought I'd never get out of there. It was Christmas time and the freezing rain and snow was the pits. Here in California the camping season is 12 months long.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I recently discovered that camping in my home state can be a challenge. I tried to reserve a campsite for next February at a state park near Sarasota only to find that they are already booked up. Guess I'll have to try again for February 2018, and book the site eleven months in advance, per the rules.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Yes, but HEAT can change that. Believe me. I like it cool or cold when camping. 100 degrees and relatively high humidity means spending way more time inside the trailer, and that means hookups. Not really my idea of camping.
Something must have gotten "lost in the translation" here, Robert. When I said "Au contraire" I meant that not all of your northern friends would laugh at your statement, me being one of those who didn't laugh. I understand your perspective completely.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #14

Quote:
When would you camp locally in Florida? I think my point was missed.
October through mid-May.

Quote:
Nor is it mine. I neither like it too hot or too cold. My preference is T-shirt weather, or at worst, sweatshirt weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I recently discovered that camping in my home state can be a challenge. I tried to reserve a campsite for next February at a state park near Sarasota only to find that they are already booked up. Guess I'll have to try again for February 2018, and book the site eleven months in advance, per the rules.
That's because all the northern retirees seem to think that camping season in Florida starts when the snow and cold arrive wherever they live, and they all book sites in advance for several months. If you can't find a site near Tampa, you can always request Campsite #1 (somewhat of a private joke)! You might try arriving at the state park near Sarasota early in the day when you want to camp. The state parks generally retain a few sites for "drive ins."
Old 08-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Something must have gotten "lost in the translation" here, Robert. When I said "Au contraire" I meant that not all of your northern friends would laugh at your statement, me being one of those who didn't laugh. I understand your perspective completely.
I wasn't really laughing. I knew exactly what Robert meant. While he and I agree on a lot of things, we see camping from a different vantage point, because he is not yet retired and has to go camping as his work schedule allows, and that has an affect on distance and time. Being retired, my camping season begins when the summer heat and humidity arrives and hopefully doesn't end until the heat snd humidity ceases.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I ain't too bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I wasn't really laughing. I knew exactly what Robert meant. While he and I agree on a lot of things, we see camping from a different vantage point, because he is not yet retired and has to go camping as his work schedule allows, and that has an affect on distance and time. Being retired, my camping season begins when the summer heat and humidity arrives and hopefully doesn't end until the heat snd humidity ceases.
Well put. Were I retired, I'd be as migratory as a bird.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #17

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Well shucks! I'm retired and live in Texas. I'm with Robert, RV season starts in September and runs through April or May. I'd rather boondock in the cold than have a full hookup in the southern summer. And since they aren't as many people on the roads, is easier to find get really great camping spots.

To me, three season camping is Fall, Winter, and Spring. I'll sell my Bigfoot in May or June; my Escape will be ready in September. How can it get any better than that? (I turned down an August delivery date.)

Rich

1987 Bigfoot 5er (starter wheels)
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (dream wheels: Sept 2017)
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #18
Site Team

I hear you Rich. Nothing beats camping in one of our beautiful state parks or similar in December or January when you're the only camper in a 10 spot area, and the daytime high is 60 and the low is 45. Sleeping at night without the roar of the AC is wonderful. Our ideal camping weather is reversed from most of the country - and that was kind of the point of my original post.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I am also going to agree with Robert. Here in the Midwest, June through August can get pretty hot and sticky. Our favorite time to head out is after Labor Day. The weather is beautiful and the summer traffic is down. We want to get to the Texas hill country some February or March. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Join us in the Pacific NorthWET. Typically our camping season is mid-April (time to de-winterize) to mid-October (time to winterize). Doesn't stop me from camping Nov-Apr, it's just different (and WET).

You know we don't need screen rooms here, because SLUGS don't fly
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote