Amazon follies - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Amazon follies

Unlike most people, I have frequent problems when I order stuff from Amazon-- I will forget a variable and end up with the wrong size / wrong color, or receive a defective product, etc., and have to return it. But my last attempt takes the cake.

I recently bought an antique bookcase from a dealer in Pensacola. It needed additional shelf pins. This bookcase takes 6mm shelf pins, which turned out to be rare, at least in the U.S. Most shelf pins are 5mm, 1/4-inch, or 7mm. So I ordered some 6mm shelf pins from an Amazon reseller. A few days later I got a text saying my package had arrived, so I went out to the mailbox and found a padded envelope. It was empty. The padded envelope was defective and it opened along a seam to let the box containing the pins fall out. The shipper was USPS.

I went down to my local post office, thinking that maybe the pins had fallen out there. They looked, but nope. I've never seen this particular problem before with an Amazon shipment.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Ultimately, it is Amazon’s responsibility to ensure that the item is delivered to you. Call customer service and complain. (888) 280-3321‬
Old 03-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
When it comes to Amazon resellers, it's usually best to contact the reseller first. If they can't correct the problem, then contact Amazon. Resellers live and die by their customer ratings on the site, and most of them will respond quickly.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
You can always pin your hopes on Amazon's charitable concern. Otherwise, drill out the holes to 6mm.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
You can always pin your hopes on Amazon's charitable concern. Otherwise, drill out the holes to 6mm.
I think the holes were already 6mm. The issue was finding fat enough pins.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I think it is more a fault of USPS than Amazon but I think I'll leave that subject alone.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

I contacted the reseller. They responded, saying that they would approve a reshipment of the pins to me, but I would need to go through Amazon. So I submitted a return request to Amazon, checking the box "Item missing from package". My "return" will consist of an envelope containing the defective padded envelope, with an explanatory note.

I will drill out the holes in the bookcase only as a last resort, as it's old and I'm clumsy. I don't want to damage it. A friend and I were able to get the thing home without breaking the glass in its doors. This was too easy, I thought, and I was right.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always found 3rd party resellers on amazon are quick to respond and make good, it is those bad reviews they try to avoid.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Unlike most people, I have frequent problems when I order stuff from Amazon-- I will forget a variable and end up with the wrong size / wrong color, or receive a defective product, etc., and have to return it. But my last attempt takes the cake.

I recently bought an antique bookcase from a dealer in Pensacola. It needed additional shelf pins. This bookcase takes 6mm shelf pins, which turned out to be rare, at least in the U.S. Most shelf pins are 5mm, 1/4-inch, or 7mm. So I ordered some 6mm shelf pins from an Amazon reseller. A few days later I got a text saying my package had arrived, so I went out to the mailbox and found a padded envelope. It was empty. The padded envelope was defective and it opened along a seam to let the box containing the pins fall out. The shipper was USPS.

I went down to my local post office, thinking that maybe the pins had fallen out there. They looked, but nope. I've never seen this particular problem before with an Amazon shipment.
Went through 2 deliveries with Amazon for my Victron MPPT solar controller and dongle . It was the Amazon delivery van . Each time the driver threw the packages about 20 ft over the gate. The items were packaged in a envelope instead of a box . Asked for the second please put in a box , didn't happen . The envelope were torn open and one had water in it from the rain . Both returned and bought from a boating store that was fast and nicely packaged in a box. Just cost about 8 .00 more for shipping I didn't have to pay with Amazon . The gate is only 4 ft tall and there is a tall motor right there that Ups and sometimes the post office puts my packages on . I was sitting watching to catch the driver but sometimes there are fast . This is a usual occurrence with Amazon shipping for us. If it's not electronics I don't mind except for yesterday's dicor delivery in a too small box that bent the tube sprout and straightened it made it leak . But then I will order a small item and it comes in a huge box Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Agreed, drilling is bad. How about wrapping the 5mm pins with enough tape to snug it all up?
Old 03-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I find that 5mm pins are the most common. They are a universally accepted size for almost all European style cabinets. I have a few hundred of various types in my cabinet install box.

We do see some 1/4" too, and not much else.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17b
We have always had good luck but the overpackaging of most of their items is insane.
Kootenay couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
I wonder if you could find something at the hardware store? Maybe a 6mm screw or whatnot, and then cut it to the desired length? But hopefully the next package won't tear open, and you'll be set.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay couple View Post
We have always had good luck but the overpackaging of most of their items is insane.
I agree, just got an RV toilet delivered. Toilet carton is about 2.5 x 2 feet, came in a box about 4.5 x 3 feet with a few of those air filled plastic wraps but not enough to stop anything moving! And then to top it off I wasn't careful enough ordering so got the high profile toilet in error, now will need a stepladder to get on it

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
now will need a stepladder to get on it
there is a reason it is called a throne......
Old 03-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I agree, just got an RV toilet delivered. Toilet carton is about 2.5 x 2 feet, came in a box about 4.5 x 3 feet with a few of those air filled plastic wraps but not enough to stop anything moving! And then to top it off I wasn't careful enough ordering so got the high profile toilet in error, now will need a stepladder to get on it

Adrian
Hi: emers382... Isn't that what that foot step on the front is for? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
......................... And then to top it off I wasn't careful enough ordering so got the high profile toilet in error, now will need a stepladder to get on it

Adrian
Look on the bright side, as you age their is less distance to stand up!
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay couple View Post
Ha! Big time agree! Huge box, scads of air pillows, all for a tiny USB adapter! I could go on, but I won't. Amazon is an amazing machine, intent on conquering the world.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #19

Update: Amazon refunded my purchase of the shelf pins that didn't arrive. I re-ordered them and received the order. They don't fit. The pins were advertised as 6mm; they are 1/4-inch. Note to world: 6mm != 1/4-inch! I'll have to return them.

In the meantime, a computer monitor I ordered through Amazon went on the fritz, so I have to return it as well. The vendor has approved the return, but it's a non-trivial exercise. At least I kept the packing materials. Note to me: buy large stuff from a brick-and-mortar store, not online, or at least have it shipped to one so it will be easier to return. Arrgh.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
On a side note, I used an Amazon locker for a shipment while on the road. Everything went well, something to think about when you are far from a shippable address. No idea of how many cities have them, but mine was delivered to a locker at the QuikTrip Gas Station at Gainesville, GA.