An unexpected Christmas Windfall - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #21

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I think that I would do as some have suggested. If all other affairs are in order, I would put that money aside for wonderful trip with the new trailer. Its amazing how far you can go and what you can see and experience with that kind of money when traveling in a trailer.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #22

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Robert, if that was my windfall I would take half of it and direct it toward a Make-A-Wish child (or similar charity) to create a windfall for them and make their holiday very special. The personal return from doing something like that would be immeasurable...then spend the other half on camping fun!

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I think you should contribute it to your federal government with instructions for them to pay down the national debt. Or else use it to go camping.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
You could buy this camping accessory...

Homeowners Invest $12,000 on Emergency Power Generator

hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I love money that falls from the sky (or unexpected and I forgot about it). I'm close to retirement, don't know about you Robert. BUT, I'd use it to plan that trip of a life-time taken immediately after retirement. That's when you should have the best health you'll have... don't delay is what I'm trying to say. With this kind of cash, I could spend months traveling the US/Canada and maybe that camping trip to Alaska. It would take some planning, but that's half the fun!
Retirement's a bit further off for Me Donna. I want to start taking those 'trips of a lifetime' sooner than that. This might sound corny, but one of the reasons we decided to get an Escape is the nagging sense that we were just sitting there while LIFE was passing us by. I remember about a year ago watching a rerun of one of my favorite movies -- The Shawshank Redemption. There's a line in the movie where Morgan Freeman says "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." That hit me. We're intentionally choosing the former. I think Escapees, whether retired or not, seem to follow that philosophy.

As for all the advice, like I said, the forum is an invaluable source of people who will help you spend your money.

So far, I've paid off both credit cards that had any balance, and we gave $1000 to two of our favorite charities. That leaves $8500 for the 'camping fund'.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Sometimes the USPS delivers something useful instead of a pile of junk mail. I received a check yesterday for 12k. It was from an old Roth account I had at a former employer years ago, and I had completely forgotten about it. It will only add about 2k to my taxable income since it was already taxed.

Question now is what to do with it. The folks here at the forum have been invaluable in assisting me with spending money....I mean they EXCEL at it.
Contributions or earnings ?
Roth IRA Withdrawal Rules
Old 12-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: rbryan4... You'd better get used to... "Life passing you by", because when you're towing no one wants to be behind you!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Contributions or earnings ?
Roth IRA Withdrawal Rules
I checked with the Fund manager. It will raise my taxable income for 2014 by a little over 2K, but there are no other penalties. They also took out the 2014 taxes on the taxable amount before they cut the check.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Retirement's a bit further off for Me Donna. I want to start taking those 'trips of a lifetime' sooner than that. This might sound corny, but one of the reasons we decided to get an Escape is the nagging sense that we were just sitting there while LIFE was passing us by. I remember about a year ago watching a rerun of one of my favorite movies -- The Shawshank Redemption. There's a line in the movie where Morgan Freeman says "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." That hit me. We're intentionally choosing the former. I think Escapees, whether retired or not, seem to follow that philosophy.
Good for you Robert! Good for you... you're thinking ahead. I keep running into people who only live for today.

Alf, and the decision he made to purchase his original Escape Hatch, keeps clanging in my brain. Why WAIT!? When Reace first posted those first concepts of the 5.0TA here on the EscapeForum... my brain went into overdrive. The rest is history.

Live for today(?), make a ton of memories along the way. Because no one is guaranteed tomorrow.

GOOD FOR US!

PS: The Donna D. foundation is non-profit (not intended to be that way), but if you need my addresss...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Buy a new smoker. You Texans take your bbq'n pretty seriously, that kind of dough should make a good down payment! Take the money that's left and host the first annual Texas Escape Owner's Ribfest! I'll volunteer to stir the beans. BBQ'd tofu for the vegetarians!
Attached Images

Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Buy a new smoker. You Texans take your bbq'n pretty seriously, that kind of dough should make a good down payment! Take the money that's left and host the first annual Texas Escape Owner's Ribfest! I'll volunteer to stir the beans. BBQ'd tofu for the vegetarians!
Now I'm hungry Greg....